Best headers for 5.7?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thebeet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Its not as noticeable on an 8sp at the dragstrip, but it is noticeable on the street when daily driving. Unless someone was serious about taking their truck to the dragstrip, I would not want 1 7/8" headers on an 8sp with 3.21 gears.

Good thing I'm replacing my 3.21 gears to 3.95 this weekend. The OBX headers I got are 1 7/8.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
You will be good with the 8sp and 3.92's. Should run strong.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Yes you can install headers ARH mount right up to stock locations as well as the 16869 kit. You should be able to remove and return to stock.

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its not heads and cam that make the difference, its the gearing and converter. 1 7/8" headers on a truck with 3.55's and a stock converter is a dog down low.

Anyone that doesnt intend to step up the gears and tq converter in their truck would benefit more from a 1 3/4" header.

I was gonna mention something about it, but figured that stuff was a given ;)

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its not heads and cam that make the difference, its the gearing and converter. 1 7/8" headers on a truck with 3.55's and a stock converter is a dog down low.

Anyone that doesnt intend to step up the gears and tq converter in their truck would benefit more from a 1 3/4" header.

id have to say, having 3.55(god i cant wait to do the swap) and 1 7/8 long tubes, i do notice a lag down low..i also have 37s too but i even felt it with 35s

my butt dyno couldnt tell you i lost power down low from stock manifolds, just that there is a a slight lag when taking off.
Unless you are going down the strip though its meaningless and barely noticeable

Well I have been known to move fast in my hobbies :) Got the Ram on Super bowl Sunday...Learned of ARH and header mods in general on these Rams 2 weeks ago and today I just picked up my truck from the install lol! Once I seen the stock log vs the ARH photo I was sold.

I ordered the 1-3/4 primaries with Y-pipe and high flow cats...

I am curious about some of the points in my quotes above. I am well aware once my Hemifever custom tune gets dialed in things will be running much MUCH better and will pull significantly harder...I hope :/

Reason is when I left the shop I was actually pretty underwhelmed to be 100% honest. Now please no one crucify me! I know the canned 91 octane tune from the Diablo Sport is not the tune to run! I have the long tube base tune from Sean but need to load it up and then of course dial it in over the coming weeks. Also I am only a few weeks into researching/learning about these trucks and the world of mods.

I will go as far to say that the truck felt noticeably slower, especially off the line but throughout the whole power band. Is this normal moving to long tubes without getting the custom tune loaded? Maybe it's just a long day...But I expected to feel the difference, surely not in the opposite way!

2012 and the tag fell off the diff so I need to jack rear end up and do the tire spin/mark driveshaft to see what gears I have. Running 35x12.5 MT tires and I know that will lag vs performance street tires but I am mentally gaging what I have felt from my truck over the last couple weeks. The K&N 63 CAI just made it sound beefy, a slight slight pull. The diablo Sport 91 canned tune was very noticeable and now I obviously have some work to dial things in.

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well I have been known to move fast in my hobbies :) Got the Ram on Super bowl Sunday...Learned of ARH and header mods in general on these Rams 2 weeks ago and today I just picked up my truck from the install lol! Once I seen the stock log vs the ARH photo I was sold.

1-3/4 primaries with Y-pipe and high flow cats...

I am curious about some of the points in my quotes above. I am well aware once my Hemifever custom tune gets dialed in things will be running much MUCH better and will pull significantly harder...I hope :/

Reason is when I left the shop I was actually pretty underwhelmed to be 100% honest. Now please no one crucify me! I know the canned 91 octane tune from the Diablo Sport is not the tune to run! I have the long tube base tune from Sean but need to load it up and then of course dial it in over the coming weeks. Also I am only a few weeks into researching/learning about these trucks and the world of mods.

I will go as far to say that the truck felt noticeably slower, especially off the line but throughout the whole power band. Is this normal moving to long tubes without getting the custom tune loaded? Maybe it's just a long day...But I expected to feel the difference, surely not in the opposite way!

2012 and the tag fell off the diff so I need to jack rear end up and do the tire spin/mark driveshaft to see what gears I have. Running 35x12.5 MT tires and I know that will lag vs performance street tires but I am mentally gaging what I have felt from my truck over the last couple weeks. The K&N 63 CAI just made it sound beefy, a slight slight pull. The diablo Sport 91 canned tune was very noticeable and now I obviously have some work to dial things in.

like matt has said, 1 3/4 will do better down low. Get that tune and wake up the beast. Plus ill add that you get less gains with cats rather then no cats

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
like matt has said, 1 3/4 will do better down low. Get that tune and wake up the beast. Plus ill add that you get less gains with cats rather then no cats

Yea I got the ARH 1-3/4 and their high flow cats they welded into the Y-pipe.

I am wondering if the canned 91 tune on my Diablo is working against it, thinking it has the stock log manifolds. I will get the long tube custom tune from Sean loaded in tonight.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Load the tune from Sean, and then let us know how it does. You are moving a lot more air now than you were stock, so the computer has to adjust for that. Most shops do not disconnect the battery to reset your computer, but the computer will reset as soon as you load that new tune. Combining that with the custom tuning should bring the truck to life.

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Load the tune from Sean, and then let us know how it does. You are moving a lot more air now than you were stock, so the computer has to adjust for that. Most shops do not disconnect the battery to reset your computer, but the computer will reset as soon as you load that new tune. Combining that with the custom tuning should bring the truck to life.

Yes Sir! My apologies for anything obvious, I tend to think out loud in my online forum life :) But I assumed it was such as you say.

I was expecting some O2 codes post cats as I read but none so thats good. But I do have an oil something code...I'll post when I get to my truck but I am 99% sure it's from the dipstick? Thats all I can think of...I will see if it's still around when the reboot is done...

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
I'm curious about the code you mentioned because there is not a sensor on the dipstick tube itself. The o2 codes only come on every couple months with the arh cats, but Sean will have that taken care of in the tuning so they never come on though.

2batruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hmmmm. i was thinking of installing jba shorties but from what i understand reading these posts it doesnt seem worth the money?

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hmmmm. i was thinking of installing jba shorties but from what i understand reading these posts it doesnt seem worth the money?

General consensus is to wait for long tubes, yeilds much better gains. The install can be a pita so you may as well do lt's and be done with it :)

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Longtubes are actually easier to install than shorties on these trucks. There is more room to access the header bolts on the longtubes than on the shorties, so they go in fairly easy. Only tough step is removing the lower oil dipstick tube bolt on the 4wd trucks. It can be a pain to get that bolt out because the motor mount is in the way.

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Longtubes are actually easier to install than shorties on these trucks. There is more room to access the header bolts on the longtubes than on the shorties, so they go in fairly easy. Only tough step is removing the lower oil dipstick tube bolt on the 4wd trucks. It can be a pain to get that bolt out because the motor mount is in the way.

I was thinking it seems like it would be easier to just cut that lower bracket but leave a tab big enough to tack weld another small bracket and mount it elsewhere? Seems like a quick way. I read one guy spent three hours backing that bolt out, seriously who designed that!?!?

I went to install mine myself and got the dipstick conquered by using a dremel to cut the lower bracket :super hack:

I think "fairly easy" depends on the person. I have tackled some pretty big projects, just built a pair of subwoofers 2ftx2ftx6ft 4 inches tall with 21" drivers :word: Internal bracing alone was 28hrs of labor and over 100 into them. Point is I do schtuff :) But once I got to the manifold bolts I applied what I felt to be decent pressure but could not get them to budge and I dont have a torch setup so that made the choice for me. So I guess it may come down to familiarity and comfort level working on rigs to define "fairly easy." For me it's a department I dont have experience past water pumps and spark plugs. And mainly I didn't want to get to a point of a broken stud and be screwed.

OT but what do you Ram guru's think about Remflex gaskets for installing these?
Remflex Exhaust Header / Manifold Gaskets

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
is the remflex 6004 the right model # for these Gen 4 trucks ?

djcrak33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay but, for a daily driver, wouldn't shorty's work best? I'm not trying to race my truck every day lol. Just help it breathe better with a little better performance.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Okay but, for a daily driver, wouldn't shorty's work best? I'm not trying to race my truck every day lol. Just help it breathe better with a little better performance.

No. Long tubes are superior in every way.

If you want to make power buy longtubes

If you just want to say you have headers on the truck then buy shorties.

Travis Yungman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
5.7L

So would you recommend going 1 7/8” on a 6 speed with 3.55’s and stock converter?

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
General consensus is to wait for long tubes, yeilds much better gains. The install can be a pita so you may as well do lt's and be done with it :)

the backyard mechanic might have a tough time, but my installer had it done in 4-5 hours . just need the proper tools and just cut the bolt off and put a new one on for the dipstick instead of messing around with it.