Best highway or all season tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Regcabguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 I-6
We have Defenders on our Pilot. I just wish Michelin offered them in an E-rated 305-70-17 for my Ram 2500.

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
Use Tire Rack's search engine. Depends on your variables (snow/rain/off-road, etc). Living in Northern Illinois when I bought my last set, I was looking at good snow and wet traction, good braking, good reviews, light off-road use, and QUIET going down the highway. Didn't need heavy duty LT series since I don't tow heavy or haul heavy. Results for the P series tires were Firestone Destination ATs #1, followed closely by Yokohama Geolander ATs, which were $30/tire cheaper than the Firestones. I bought the Yokohamas and 20K miles later are very pleased with them.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
All depends on how much you want to spend. You can spend ~$100/ea or $250/ea. The sky is the limit for a basic smooth, quiet, economical highway all-season.

The way I always wind up with un-repairable punctures, there's no way I'll buy high end anymore.

The "warranties" are worthless if you loose one tire once they all have wear on them. You have to replace all 4 on a 4x4 anyway.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I can't wait to burn enough miles on my OEM tires to get a set of Michelin Defenders.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I can't wait to burn enough miles on my OEM tires to get a set of Michelin Defenders.

Why wait if you want the Michelins so badly?

Dunno what condition your OEMs are, but if they're like new yet, you could sell the set on FB marketplace or the likes for $200-300.

Cheap asses like myself buy tires that way all the time. LOL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Why wait if you want the Michelins so badly?

Dunno what condition your OEMs are, but if they're like new yet, you could sell the set on FB marketplace or the likes for $200-300.

Cheap asses like myself buy tires that way all the time. LOL

Best to get something back from them than nothing at all and still spend money on new ones later on ... remember to rotate every 2k-3k and tires will last forever ... well maybe not forever but you get what I mean lol ..

CYSTemrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 liter
Michelin defender

For sure. I have a 2008 2500 stick 6 and hemi and it came with these stock. It was 146,000 km(almost 100000 miles) and 10 years later that I decided to follow the safety rule and replace them even though there was still a good quarter inch of tread left on them. I had run them at top inflation and rotated every year. My concerns were and are that the high carbon content of these tires that make them last a long time also has another drawback. I have had the same tire on other of my trucks crack and fail on hot days. That happened with a set 12 years old and with a 3/8 inch of tread I bought used for peanuts. That fail occurred at a crack line around the rim. They had been owned and installed by a man with a motorhome used two months a year but idled the other 10 months. The rubber was 10 years old but that is the limit of advised usage.

These tires are ideal and worth the $$$ for anyone towing and carrying loads a lot on pavement, I have never found any other brand to be so long wearing and amenable on highways even though off road traction is not the best. The 4WD helps that liability a lot but I always change to dedicated snow tires in winter.

CYSTemrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 liter
Michelin defender

For sure. I have a 2008 2500 stick 6 and hemi and it came with these stock. It was 146,000 km(almost 100000 miles) and 10 years later that I decided to follow the safety rule and replace them even though there was still a good quarter inch of tread left on them. I had run them at top inflation and rotated every year. My concerns were and are that the high carbon content of these tires that make them last a long time also has another drawback. I have had the same tire on other of my trucks crack and fail on hot days. That happened with a set 12 years old and with a 3/8 inch of tread I bought used for peanuts. That fail occurred at a crack line around the rim. They had been owned and installed by a man with a motorhome used two months a year but idled the other 10 months. The rubber was 10 years old but that is the limit of advised usage.

These tires are ideal and worth the $$$ for anyone towing and carrying loads a lot on pavement, I have never found any other brand to be so long wearing and amenable on highways even though off road traction is not the best. The 4WD helps that liability a lot but I always change to dedicated snow tires in winter.

patmanz28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
For those on a budget the Kuhmo ht51 are hard to beat and severe snow service rates. I currently have the continental
TerrainContac H/T fantastic tire. They are both quiet and ride very nice. the kuhmos are a little softer and get about 1 mpg less than the continental. both are over 700 treadwear. Also if you drive on gravel the ht51 will pick up more rocks due to the more open tread design.

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
For those on a budget the Kuhmo ht51 are hard to beat and severe snow service rates. I currently have the continental
TerrainContac H/T fantastic tire. They are both quiet and ride very nice. the kuhmos are a little softer and get about 1 mpg less than the continental. both are over 700 treadwear. Also if you drive on gravel the ht51 will pick up more rocks due to the more open tread design.
Thank you, I have been patiently waiting for a real world / experience comment on the Continental Terrain Contact HT's. I am not sure exactly why but I am leaning in a strong way toward these tires. Hoping to catch one of those buy three get one or some similar fantasy land deal on four of them.

ramlord

2020 Ram Limited
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Michelin Defender absolutely

APPsBeast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Whats so bad about the stock Goodyear’s (35k and have been great, I’m in a always sunny climate maybe that’s the difference) and what’s so great about the defenders, I’ve heard they are not quiet and tread life is terrible so someone please share some specifics thanks

Summit1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Four pages into the polling, and the correct answer remains somewhat elusive... maybe because more specific information about the OP's intended use remains unavailable(as of this time).

Some tires may be the "best" for towing a trailer or carrying a load of stuff, while others may be better for unladen ride quality. Some may be better in snow, slush, and/or rain, while others that provide longer tread life may fail to perform well in bad weather.

There are so many variables, other than the "best" is whatever each respondent has bought. A friend put a set of Falken tires on his truck and found they tend to wallow in curves and turns, but the ride fairly well. I replaced my original Firestone Transforce AT's with Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT's, so maybe they are the "best".

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you, I have been patiently waiting for a real world / experience comment on the Continental Terrain Contact HT's. I am not sure exactly why but I am leaning in a strong way toward these tires. Hoping to catch one of those buy three get one or some similar fantasy land deal on four of them.

If going with these, I would opt for the "H" version vs. the "T" rated version - slightly less mileage than the "T" rated but the "H" is a more premium tire, thus the higher speed rating and the AA rating vs. the AB rating for the "T".

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
If going with these, I would opt for the "H" version vs. the "T" rated version - slightly less mileage than the "T" rated but the "H" is a more premium tire, thus the higher speed rating and the AA rating vs. the AB rating for the "T".
Yeah, I noticed the difference in the rating but I have no idea exactly what the difference is ( if any ) in the construction of the tires. I also wonder about the pressure increase having an effect on the ride. ( 51 PSI ) I am not sure if you can run much less pressure than what they call for. I also have to research if the TPMS will play nice with the increase pressure.