Best highway or all season tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eddie046

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What are the best highway or all season tires for a ram 1500, big horn ext cab?
I just put a set of Goodyear Wrangler Trailrunner ATs on on Black Friday. I had 47K on the SR-A's with about 20% of the tread left. These seem pretty good so far. I'll keep you posted. Some good rebates from Goodyear on them.

senator49

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put 4 Michelin Defender LTX M/S on my 2011 RAM 2500 Crew Cab Hemi last year and have put about 8000 miles on them so far. They still look like new and have seen no wear. I have used Michelin tires on my pickups for many years and have always got good service out the them.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, I noticed the difference in the rating but I have no idea exactly what the difference is ( if any ) in the construction of the tires. I also wonder about the pressure increase having an effect on the ride. ( 51 PSI ) I am not sure if you can run much less pressure than what they call for. I also have to research if the TPMS will play nice with the increase pressure.

51 psi is the max cold - which is what you would go to for max load - you will run them normally in the 40 psi range give or take a couple.

My TPMS has never argued at an over pressure - only under - which on my truck the set point is 43 psi to turn off the light (stock e load tires)

A higher speed rating mean that the tire is can handle and dissipate the internal heat build up a bit more efficiently - usually an indication of a higher quality tire.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Use Tire Rack's search engine. Depends on your variables (snow/rain/off-road, etc). Living in Northern Illinois when I bought my last set, I was looking at good snow and wet traction, good braking, good reviews, light off-road use, and QUIET going down the highway. Didn't need heavy duty LT series since I don't tow heavy or haul heavy. Results for the P series tires were Firestone Destination ATs #1, followed closely by Yokohama Geolander ATs, which were $30/tire cheaper than the Firestones. I bought the Yokohamas and 20K miles later are very pleased with them.
I recommend reading the reviews on Tire Rack, you can even sort by vehicle use. The best tires is a very subjective topic. Will you drive in snow or do any off-road driving. Is heavy towing in your future? Tires are really good at some things and will trade off other qualities to achieve that. It might be helpful to list the primary needs/wants so that when people respond they can provide their real world experience in those settings. This is more directed in general, someday I will need tires and would like to see more than a name as a response. Maybe a pin in the main section of the forum would be helpful with a rating system (1-10) on characteristics and use so that we can provide our experiences in a way that better informs. Just thinking...

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
51 psi is the max cold - which is what you would go to for max load - you will run them normally in the 40 psi range give or take a couple.

My TPMS has never argued at an over pressure - only under - which on my truck the set point is 43 psi to turn off the light (stock e load tires)

A higher speed rating mean that the tire is can handle and dissipate the internal heat build up a bit more efficiently - usually an indication of a higher quality tire.
If the tire can be run down around 40 PSI for long distance over the highway touring loaded light and not towing then it would be acceptable.
I understand what the UTQG ratings mean. However, my curiosity wants to know just what may be different in construction and / or materials between the tires to account for the difference in the UTQG rating. I don't seem to be able to find an answer.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the tire can be run down around 40 PSI for long distance over the highway touring loaded light and not towing then it would be acceptable.
I understand what the UTQG ratings mean. However, my curiosity wants to know just what may be different in construction and / or materials between the tires to account for the difference in the UTQG rating. I don't seem to be able to find an answer.

https://townfairtire.com/information/tire-information-guide/what-does-utqg-mean/index.shtml

I am not sure on the Continentals whether they are built that way or during some inspection there are some tires that are better than others? I don't know. But a higher speed rated tire is almost always a better built tire vs. a lower speed rated tire.

E-load rated tires can easily run at 40 psi.
My 16 Outdoorsman came from Ram with E-load Goodyears on it and the rec. psi is 43 psi on the door post. Light won't turn on until the pressure drops below 36 psi.

I had a 17" version of the E-load Defenders and ran the pressure from 38-40 psi up to as high as 70 psi.
They surprisingly didn't ride bad even at 70 psi. and that was with the HD rear springs that were rated at 50% more capacity than stock. 20's would probably ride a bit firmer than the 17" at 70 psi :)

tjkoen01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S. 65k tread warranty, reasonable price (paid less than $800 on the rim and out the door), made in USA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
https://townfairtire.com/information/tire-information-guide/what-does-utqg-mean/index.shtml

I am not sure on the Continentals whether they are built that way or during some inspection there are some tires that are better than others? I don't know. But a higher speed rated tire is almost always a better built tire vs. a lower speed rated tire.

E-load rated tires can easily run at 40 psi.
My 16 Outdoorsman came from Ram with E-load Goodyears on it and the rec. psi is 43 psi on the door post. Light won't turn on until the pressure drops below 36 psi.

I had a 17" version of the E-load Defenders and ran the pressure from 38-40 psi up to as high as 70 psi.
They surprisingly didn't ride bad even at 70 psi. and that was with the HD rear springs that were rated at 50% more capacity than stock. 20's would probably ride a bit firmer than the 17" at 70 psi :)
Thanks for the real world experience. I am leaning heavily toward the Continentals. Michelins will be the next in line. No particular reason other than just trying something different with the Conti's. I don't put money into the equation when it comes to tires so the price difference is not an issue with the Michelins. The Michelins certainly are a safe bet. Looks like the Conti's are as well. Maybe a little more so for my driving needs.
Hope this adds to the OP's knowledge base as I don't want to be highjacking his thread.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S. 65k tread warranty, reasonable price (paid less than $800 on the rim and out the door), made in USA.

Where did you find them for less than $800 OTD installed, if you dont mind me asking? And what size?

tjkoen01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Where did you find them for less than $800 OTD installed, if you dont mind me asking? And what size?

Got them at a local shop here in Louisville. 275/60R20’s. That price includes a $70 rebate Cooper was running at the time. Actual price was $783.22.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got them at a local shop here in Louisville. 275/60R20’s. That price includes a $70 rebate Cooper was running at the time. Actual price was $783.22.

Nice. I need to call around then. Discount has them for $205/tire, then with whatever fees they end up throwing on it, it comes to around $1050ish mounted/balanced with road hazard certs.

R1200GS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can't wait to burn enough miles on my OEM tires to get a set of Michelin Defenders.
Nothing compares with this tire. Just installed a new set on our '18 Ram 1500 Limited Tungsten. Ran them for years on our other vehicles, e.g.,
Jeeps both Wrangler and Commander, ML 350, etc. Great handling and wear; improve vehicle ride and steering response. Can't say enough
about them. Not inexpensive.

patmanz28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have the continental terraincontact HT, i just switched from Kumho CRUGEN HT51, and my brother-in-law has the Defenders. All three are great tires, and each fit a different budget. All three have good traction, are quiet, and last a while. That said I prefer the continentals, then the Michelin, then the Kumhos. The Kumhos rode the softest, and seemed to have the best winter traction (open tread, and also 3PkMS rates), but handled sloppier, and I lost a mpg or 2. The Michelin ride the stiffest of the three, but not by a lot, and they are also the most expensive. I do not tend to like All terrain tires as i feel they are usually very compromised compared to a highway tire. When i used to work in a tire shop we had customers complain about All-terrain tires all the time (noisy, gas mileage dropped, do not tend to last etc).

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When i used to work in a tire shop we had customers complain about All-terrain tires all the time (noisy, gas mileage dropped, do not tend to last etc).

heh, people want it all and get mad whenever the idea of compromise comes up :) Oh and in addition to maximum traction under all circumstances, double their MPG, zero noise plus a tough guy chunky appearance, it also has to be close to free and last infinity miles and balance perfectly. And installed during their lunch break with time left over for a taco and a latte!

jerboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram 1500
Engine
Hey ramm5.7 are did you paint your rims in that picture? I have got the same kind and was thinking about doing that.

erictomlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
heh, people want it all and get mad whenever the idea of compromise comes up :) Oh and in addition to maximum traction under all circumstances, double their MPG, zero noise plus a tough guy chunky appearance, it also has to be close to free and last infinity miles and balance perfectly. And installed during their lunch break with time left over for a taco and a latte!

Oh...I didn't realize that we've met. LOL! :rotflmao:

Alweeja

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Defenders sound like the best option.