Best tonneau cover for Rambox? 2018 Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just curious to know what people with the rambox prefers in terms of a tonneau cover. I have a 2018 Ram 1500 with the short bed, and I am looking at getting a cover. I'd prefer a hard cover but a quality soft tonneau is a consideration also. I'd like to stay under $800 if possible.

Any suggestions?

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
While it is not under $800 the MX4 is very popular and works with the RAMboxes. It is a quality cover and looks as great as it works

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a Truxedo Sentry on my 22 HD with Ramboxes. Had the same cover on my 18 HD with Ramboxes too. It looks like a soft cover, but is made up of continuous rows of alum ribs under the cover. So you can't just cut it open to get to the contents. I've been very happy with it.

Attachments

• TruxedoRollCover3.jpg
    TruxedoRollCover3.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
nlambert182

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks! I checked into both of these and then ran across the SyneticUSA roll up hard cover and pulled the trigger on it. I was surprised that there really aren't that many rambox options in comparison to a standard bed.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I wonder what percentage of Ram trucks have Ramboxes? From what I see on the streets, it would not be a huge number. I see some, but not a lot. So I'd guess the numbers/demand are not high enough to justify the R&D cost for a lot of tonneau cover makers.

For me, being able to get Ramboxes is one of the top 3 reasons I won't even consider a Ford or GM HD truck (I've owned some of each in the past). The other 2 are Megacab and the Cummins.

I hope your cover works great for you.

OP
OP
nlambert182

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks. This is my 3rd Ram (only truck I'll own after my last two), but my first with Ramboxes. I have to say that I am a fan of them, so hopefully this cover fits well.

OP
OP
nlambert182

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
To follow up... I installed the SyneticUSA bedcover on Friday.

The Pros:

- Construction is solid. The cover seems really well built and sturdy. The sliding mechanism works very well so far.
- I like that they include drains with hoses so that any water that might make it into the track is funneled out via drain hoses (hoses can also be a con as well)
- Assembly was easy and only took about 30 minutes to bolt together.
- They include spare parts so that if a part ever gets damaged it can be replaced.

The Cons:

- There are NO instructions for installation with a Ram Box. The instructions only covered installation onto a standard bed, so it took a lot of trial and error to figure out how it should be mounted.

- Since the cover can't sit on top of the bed rails, they use a large piece of rubber weather-stripping that clips on the side of the rails to bridge the gap between the cover and the bed sides. There are a couple of spots where you can just slightly see daylight and after a hard rain I noticed a little bit of weeping around those areas.

- The drain hoses do stick out a bit where they enter through the holes in the bed towards the bottom, so if you were to load up something big like 3-4 sheets of plywood you'd have to be mindful not to snag the hoses.

- There is about an 1/8" gap between the top of the cover and the tailgate which they fill with a small rubber flap. It seems to keep the water out for the most part, but I can imagine that a pressure washer might be able to push water past it.

All in all, for ~$800 it wasn't a terrible deal. I can say that this cover probably works very well on a standard bed where it can sit on top of the bed rails and I think with some tweaking, I can stop any leaks that this one has.