Best Towing, Camera Options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Will_T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have read a lot about the Ram camera systems but some things still have me confused.

I now know Ram does not have a “transparent” mode like GMC but Ram does have a trailer camera option I think. Maybe more than one?

If I order a 2021 3500 with the Ram Surround View Camera System, is there an option for a trailer camera with wiring that can run under the TT and connect to the truck at the pin connector location? Will that trailer camera then become part of the Surround View System? Or would it be a separate screen showing just the rear view from the back of the trailer?

Another possibility I saw somewhere that I can’t find now is a mention of a rear of trailer camera that hardwires up to the truck and connects to a rear view mirror that is really a screen for the camera display. I would actually prefer that and to keep the in dash Ram screen for other things. The mention I saw was in a thread talking about the Ram camera system but I don’t know if it was a Ram option or something after market.

I want to order the best towing packages available as the truck will be towing probably 90% of the time. If anyone can add information or experience to help us figure out what to get, thanks!

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I just got my truck with the towing technology package and the surround cameras.
There is a plug for a wired camera that you could mount on the back of the trailer. The camera costs extra and does not come with the option. However, another member on here bought the ram camera for it and said the image is garbage. he said there is an aftermarket company that has/is working on a camera to use that has a clear image. The option package has two trailer cameras you could mount. They show up on the screen as Aux 1 and Aux 2. I am still getting use to mine and don't know all the ins and outs of it yet. Others will chime in I'm sure with more details.

TacoReady

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
The ATC Trailer we are buying is "pre-wired" for a rear camera. The tow package on the 2020 2500 Laramie is "camera ready". I need to add the camera. What exactly do I buy?
Or is it really necessary for a camera on the trailer when the truck's side cameras are so clear?

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The ATC Trailer we are buying is "pre-wired" for a rear camera. The tow package on the 2020 2500 Laramie is "camera ready". I need to add the camera. What exactly do I buy?
Or is it really necessary for a camera on the trailer when the truck's side cameras are so clear?

Truck side cameras are of no help unless you only back up in straight line. The Ram set up lets you install two trailer cameras. One would be on the back of the trailer so you know when to stop. The other would be on the curb side of the trailer so you can see where that side is once you turn and that side becomes blind.

John Chappell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also looking for high-def camera for plug-in trailer application. Any updates for OEM or aftermarket products that will plug into the provided connectors.