Best Tuner for 2013 1500 Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

13Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2013 Ram 1500 Express. Vehicle is completely stock right down to the paper filter. I am looking to add a little more ummmff to my day to day commute. I'm not looking for tire shredding power or neck snapping shifts, but something that adds a little more power with refined shifting of the sluggish 6 spd and does not change my 18.1 avg mpg. Anyone use any tuners that might fit my need? Are there brands I should stay away from? Any problems you guys run into with any of these upgrades? Thanks in advance

dtru1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diablo Sport has the best tuners for our vehicles. If your looking for cheap you can get an intune for around $350 IIRC.

The intune will have the same function as the more expensive trinity when it comes to performance, but with the trinity you can set up gauges and see data in real time. It also comes with programmable LED warning lights that you can set up on many of the gauges.

The first thing I always ask when someone is wanting more performance and MPG, is what octane fuel do you use?

The 5.7 is tuned to run on 89 and while you can run on 87 with no issues, it will reduce performance and MPG.

If you get the tuner, the best thing to do is run the 91 tune on 93 octane and data log for your ST and LT Knock Retard. This SHOULD result in increased fuel mileage unless you are getting significant timing reduction due to knock (5+).

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Diablo Sport has the best tuners for our vehicles. If your looking for cheap you can get an intune for around $350 IIRC.

The intune will have the same function as the more expensive trinity when it comes to performance, but with the trinity you can set up gauges and see data in real time. It also comes with programmable LED warning lights that you can set up on many of the gauges.

The first thing I always ask when someone is wanting more performance and MPG, is what octane fuel do you use?

The 5.7 is tuned to run on 89 and while you can run on 87 with no issues, it will reduce performance and MPG.

If you get the tuner, the best thing to do is run the 91 tune on 93 octane and data log for your ST and LT Knock Retard. This SHOULD result in increased fuel mileage unless you are getting significant timing reduction due to knock (5+).

While in principle the hemi will get better mileage on 89 vs 87 there are many people on here me included who ran both and noticed zero difference.

dtru1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
While in principle the hemi will get better mileage on 89 vs 87 there are many people on here me included who ran both and noticed zero difference.

If you have quality fuel in your area and your not getting high knock numbers then you wont notice a difference.

But just because you dont notice it, doesnt mean its not running better. The only way to be sure is to data log.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you have quality fuel in your area and your not getting high knock numbers then you wont notice a difference.

But just because you dont notice it, doesnt mean its not running better. The only way to be sure is to data log.

I did, the only difference was under wide open throttle in a certain rpm range. In normal driving there was no difference in the timing advance.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I personally use Bullydog. I tried Diablo sport and it was absolute hell. After 4 months of not working and dealing with their worthless customer service, I traded it for a handgun and tried Bullydog. Good tunes for canned and customer service was great for me. Was having issues and 15min after I called, my truck was on the road. I hear when Diablo ACTUALLY WORKS, the tune isn't quite as good until you do a custom tune like hemifever. Then I hear it exceeds Bullydog. To each their own but I hope whichever you choose, you don't go through the hell I did with Diablo

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I personally use Bullydog. I tried Diablo sport and it was absolute hell. After 4 months of not working and dealing with their worthless customer service, I traded it for a handgun and tried Bullydog. Good tunes for canned and customer service was great for me. Was having issues and 15min after I called, my truck was on the road. I hear when Diablo ACTUALLY WORKS, the tune isn't quite as good until you do a custom tune like hemifever. Then I hear it exceeds Bullydog. To each their own but I hope whichever you choose, you don't go through the hell I did with Diablo

Weird, diablo had fast and excellent service for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got the Diablo tuner for my 4.7, and I'm absolutely thrilled with it. I would look into diablo.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I've got the Diablo tuner for my 4.7, and I'm absolutely thrilled with it. I would look into diablo.

Im also interested in getting a tuner. I was looking at the diablo from Moe's… $350 ouch. Whats the best tuner for a mostly stock motor? Besides maybe some exhaust mods, maybe a thermostat and a CAI or filter swap? I don't plan on any real engine mods as its my DD and I already got an insane street car that curbs my appetite for power and gas guzzling.

Mainly looking for something that has a good tune for 87 to 93 pump gas, TM management, setting cooling fan temps for a lower Tstat and all that little JAZ like code reading etc.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I run a hemifever 89 tune on a stock motor with just muffler swap, very noticeable gains, he sends a 91 tune also, next summer i will change gas and datalog to give it a try, supposed to be another big improvement over the current 89 tune

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im also interested in getting a tuner. I was looking at the diablo from Moe's… $350 ouch. Whats the best tuner for a mostly stock motor? Besides maybe some exhaust mods, maybe a thermostat and a CAI or filter swap? I don't plan on any real engine mods as its my DD and I already got an insane street car that curbs my appetite for power and gas guzzling.

Mainly looking for something that has a good tune for 87 to 93 pump gas, TM management, setting cooling fan temps for a lower Tstat and all that little JAZ like code reading etc.

I purchased mine from Hemifever, I got the T-1000 which is the top end tuner. Was a hit on the wallet at $599 but worth every penny. If you purchase from Hemifever you can send him a log and he'll write you a specific tune. I was virtually stock, only catback lugging my heavy 35's around for 18 months and now that i'm running the 87 tune with the throttle adjusted, shift points changed I could never go back, ever. I went from 11.39 0-60 to 8.20. Keep in mind these are 4.7 #'s but still very impressive. Shows how restricted the stock tune is on these 4.7's.

dtru1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did, the only difference was under wide open throttle in a certain rpm range. In normal driving there was no difference in the timing advance.

No difference in timing advance but what was the ST and LT knock retard numbers? And what octane/tune?

What was hell about the Diablo? Understandable that not everyone will have a satisfactory experience but after I realized that poor fuel quality was the reason for my reduced performance the canned tune alone made a world of a difference. In all 4 of my vehicles.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
No difference in timing advance but what was the ST and LT knock retard numbers? And what octane/tune?
I can't remember. It was last winter I was doing this right after I got my vararam. There was no tune as I was using obd2 software on my laptop.

dtru1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can't remember. It was last winter I was doing this right after I got my vararam. There was no tune as I was using obd2 software on my laptop.

Timing advance alone doesnt tell the whole story. I would log ST and LT knock next time.

dtru1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
But how much timing is reduced from knocking? How much do you stand to gain?