Best way to Paint chrome bumpers. Help !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canram13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Have a 17 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman, hemi 3.92 gears love the truck, but hate the chrome bumpers. I heard it’s lots of sanding and prep work to get the right finish Is it worth it to do them my self ? Have you done this before ?

Many options and not sure best way to get this done. Wrap them, Powder coat, plasti dip, paint, raptor liner spray.

I did plasti dipped them 6 months ago, but now needs attention.

6321B178-E118-4583-B6B6-989049C0154D.jpeg

2A505470-053B-461A-9D91-5A9DEDF36087.jpeg

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
What color do you want to go with ... and no it is not hard work .... I have painted chrome bumpers in the past and it is a lot of prep yes but you can definitely do it yourself ..

You will need to sand it .. I used a nylon brush on a grinder and a disc sander to remove the chrome ..then you use an etching primer ... after that you can spray your color or even spray it with raptor liner which is what I did to my truck and my buddy's as well ..

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Yeah I leaning more towards the raptor liner. I like the look and durability. I just want to go black.

Oh man then I can help you out with that dude lol and it is a killer look ... take a look at my instagram and you will see how it turned out both on my truck and my buddy's truck @the_goodguy07 as well ...

And the fact that it is bedliner helps against rock chips ... I also did my grille and fender flares ..

VelocityC6Z

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh man then I can help you out with that dude lol and it is a killer look ... take a look at my instagram and you will see how it turned out both on my truck and my buddy's truck @the_goodguy07 as well ...

And the fact that it is bedliner helps against rock chips ... I also did my grille and fender flares ..

Actually just got my raptor liner and plan to do the bumpers, grill, fender flares and bottom 10" or so. I was just going to scuff everything up with an 80 grit and palm sander, wash with hand soap and degrease. Then a self etching primer... do you think that would work? Or should I actually go down past the chrome entirely?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Actually just got my raptor liner and plan to do the bumpers, grill, fender flares and bottom 10" or so. I was just going to scuff everything up with an 800 grit and palm sander, wash with hand soap and degrease. Then a self etching primer... do you think that would work? Or should I actually go down past the chrome entirely?

Get as much of the chrome off ass you can ... ill post a few pictures of how it should look ...

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I used a flap disc on my dewalt rotary polisher and that red nylon brush as well ... cut down the time by more than half ...

My buddies @the_goodguy07 we did it with 2 palm sanders and it took us a while lol ...

But get as much of that chrome as you can and using the flap disc and nylon brush is going to help out a lot

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
BEST way is by far to buy paintable bumpers and sell the chrome ones.

Though wrapping will work well to.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
BEST way is by far to buy paintable bumpers and sell the chrome ones.

There is nothing wrong with painting your chrome bumpers .. why spend money on paintable ones ?

He might only get a couple hundred for his chrome bumpers and will only spend about $200 he he does it himself ....

VelocityC6Z

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice. That's the plan. 80 grit and a palm sander. And yea, it would be more stress than it's worth to try finding a buyer for my chrome bumpers.

VelocityC6Z

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually just got my raptor liner and plan to do the bumpers, grill, fender flares and bottom 10" or so. I was just going to scuff everything up with an 800 grit and palm sander, wash with hand soap and degrease. Then a self etching primer... do you think that would work? Or should I actually go down past the chrome entirely?
I used a flap disc on my dewalt rotary polisher and that red nylon brush as well ... cut down the time by more than half ...

My buddies @the_goodguy07 we did it with 2 palm sanders and it took us a while lol ...

But get as much of that chrome as you can and using the flap disc and nylon brush is going to help out a lot

Just noticed you said flap disk. Do you know what grit you used? Didn't think of using one of those, just thought about a DA.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's just a lot less work. Less chance for prep errors, but if you take your time prepping the chrome ones will work.

Paint is stupid expensive any more, for a small prep error to mess it up.

A few guys have had theirs wrapped, I think it is more durable against rock chips to vs. paint.

But going with a liner vs. paint would negate the expensive paint and chips.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Save your money and just swap for plastic bumper covers . I had my
Chrome professionally painted and I was chasing tons of rock chips . Ended up paying for painted sport bumper covers. It’s worth the money to do it right the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Just noticed you said flap disk. Do you know what grit you used? Didn't think of using one of those, just thought about a DA.

The flap discs were 80 and 40 grit ... I used the 80 grit the most ...Don't forget to use a nylon brush either that one was also 80 grit I believe ....

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
A lot of work but definitely worth it at the end !!

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

We did both the bumpers and and grille on both of our trucks over the weekend and it was a lot of work but only because we wanted to do it right the first time and took our time ... but now that we have done it to 2 different trucks and know what tools to use to make it easier we can definitely do this again in no time ...

the_goodguy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We did both the bumpers and and grille on both of our trucks over the weekend and it was a lot of work but only because we wanted to do it right the first time and took our time ... but now that we have done it to 2 different trucks and know what tools to use to make it easier we can definitely do this again in no time ...
Should be easy to do my truck bed then lol

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk