BEWARE: Bully Dog $250 RE-SALE/MOVE unlock fee

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

naturecannon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bully Dog has placed a new policy on their tuners. If you sell (and after placing your vehicle back to stock) or move your Bully dog unit to another vehicle they are charging a $250 fee. YEP Bully Dog is double dipping. A recent firmware upgrade gave us the big old screw job, grab your ankles boys.

This has been confirmed in another forum and outrage is spreading.

Bully Dog Owners and Future Buyers be aware of their new policy

I just talked to Bully Dog sales and its true, Bully Dog has implemented this new 250$ policy without telling anyone or at least you have to ask, its not indicated on there website, there downloadable manuals still stipulate that your allowed to move it from one vehicle to another by putting that said vehicle back to stock but this new policy is affective now, and check this one out its for Chrysler vehicles only. Tuners by BD for Ford's, GM etc do not have this policy. Also, seems even if you bought it a year ago and sales had stipulated the same info as in the uses manual that you can move it to another vehicle you wont be able to do it. I will be emailing them this tread so any unhappy customers feel free to voice your thoughts.

Bully Dog will be shooting itself in the foot with this new policy, If you like a product you tell a friend about it, but if you get screwed by someone, 100 people will know about it. Not Cool Bully Dog. Not Cool.

Spread the word, do not buy a Bully Dog Tuner

IF you own a BD it is now pretty much worthless if you were to sell :(

JoshikusIII

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bummer...I want a custom tune anyways after I get my Vararam.

Did they say which update it applied to?

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
What are the alternatives to the Bully Dog systems?

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Diablosport... they will come out eventually for the 13's

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Diablosport... they will come out eventually for the 13's

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

Waiting for the DS. I have hearrd the BD tuners had issues so I never bought one.

mojoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This won't last long. If true, once sales decline, they will change their policy back.

RamHemi5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
well after this id never consider any product from them!

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Confirmation or not I think I'll wait on judgement till I hear of someone actually having a problem with this

Mugster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Confirmation or not I think I'll wait on judgement till I hear of someone actually having a problem with this

I was unaware of this and tried to sell my used BD Tuner and had the same problem. The buyer tried to install but was unable due to the tuner being "locked" to my old truck which I no longer have access to. The buyer was told by BD that it would cost $250 to unlock it. Needless to say I have a useless BD tuner sitting in a junk drawer. =(

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
A recent firmware upgrade gave us the big old screw job, grab your ankles boys. (

So.........if your tuner hasn't been updated, its fair game?

Not that I have one, just wondering!

I was unaware of this and tried to sell my used BD Tuner and had the same problem. The buyer tried to install but was unable due to the tuner being "locked" to my old truck which I no longer have access to. The buyer was told by BD that it would cost $250 to unlock it. Needless to say I have a useless BD tuner sitting in a junk drawer. =(

Was yours set back to stock first? Or just sold?

mojoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Sounds like your truck was never reverted to stock. All of the tuning company's that I've dealt with, that use handheld devices, have a similar policy. If you don't remove the tune from the vehicle, it will keep the tuner VIN locked.

It would be nice if a vendor would contact BD and let us know if this is a newer policy for BD, or a misunderstanding of a policy that has been in place for a while. :D

Mopar_Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
^^^This, to me it sounds like a few people have posted up that Bullydog charged them to unlock the tuner and didnt realize it was because the PO did not correctly unlock it

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
that's what it sounds like.... it would be a shame if this thread was based on wrong information.

EDIT: but now seems like BD is doing customers wrong. thanks for clarifying guys

Last edited:

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Happen to have a picture of the menu screen to prove it was un-installed from the vehicle
I think a lot of people wouldn't have such a hard time believeing it with that evidence
This is the GT paper weight I have but its not for this reason
0D6-36D1B395E5F6-6275-000005764982D9B1_zps8c5c324e.jpg

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Unfortunately, I just confirmed this with Bullydog. Maybe they will listen to us as we sell roughly 50-65 of these units every month. With Superchips stepping up to the plate now with 11-12 tuning, this would be a bad move on BD's part.

ltr450rider13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
What is the update number (AO??) that screwed us?

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately, I just confirmed this with Bullydog. Maybe they will listen to us as we sell roughly 50-65 of these units every month. With Superchips stepping up to the plate now with 11-12 tuning, this would be a bad move on BD's part.

yeah for sure

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca