Big 3 upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Anyone know what for out put is the stock Alternator on a 2015 a Outdoors-man is ?

Wondering if Big 3 worth it or a bunch of *********

Pondering an alternator upgrade, but wondering if the Big 3 is sufficient ?

Looking at this kit

http://www.mechman.com/cable-kits/mechman-1-0-zero-gauge-alternator-cable-install-big-3-kit/
Maybe on older vehicles or if you replaced the alternator with a bigger one. You can load test the alternator with your audio cranked and everything on, but I think you'll find what you have already is sufficient.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Damn, those guys make and/or carry a 370 amp alternator for our truck....

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Anyone know what for out put is the stock Alternator on a 2015 a Outdoors-man is ?

Wondering if Big 3 worth it or a bunch of *********

Pondering an alternator upgrade, but wondering if the Big 3 is sufficient ?

Looking at this kit

http://www.mechman.com/cable-kits/mechman-1-0-zero-gauge-alternator-cable-install-big-3-kit/

You know, some people swear by the upgrade but I never felt the need with what I had going on in my truck. I had three amps @ 2280 watts total and my truck never dropped below 13.9 volts according to my HU's meter. Now if I had a snow plow or other hard hitting gizmos on my truck I would re-evaluate

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Perfect alternator for an under hood welder. Hello off-road market. You rock crawlers know what I mean and mud buggies too...

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road package

mondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2wd express rcsb
Engine
Id suggest Ohio Generator if you plan on doing a alternator upgrade.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
If you don't want to do the big three completely I would at least improve the factory ground locations in the engine bay. I removed the paint at those locations, reattached the ground wires and coated the outside with liquid electrical tape.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
I can attest the big 3 does do something. I did it on my 14 Express and it eliminated the dimming. Just completed it on my 17 Sport in 0/1 gauge but don't have my system completed to comment on that yet.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
I can attest the big 3 does do something. I did it on my 14 Express and it eliminated the dimming. Just completed it on my 17 Sport in 0/1 gauge but don't have my system completed to comment on that yet.

Nice. Pics?

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m running four amps in my system with no issues on the original factory wiring. Ran a single (huge) power wire to the back of the cab and split from there.

OP
OP
Witch

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
Thanks for the input guys

Have been tracing out the factory wiring and looking to borrow an amp probe off a friend to get the actual AMP load

I don't think the upgrade will be needed as Tom has a **** ton more going on than I do and is not having trouble.

One thing I did notice, the grounds are **** in this truck, sitkneelbend has a great idea by puling them and taking the paint off as factory just mounts them

right on top of the paint, Then shoot some clear coat on them for protection

even the frame ground is garbage , may run a new wire as it is only a 10 gauge ground wire to the frame ???

They ground to the chassis in two places that I could find again with 10 guage

None of the factory wiring for the alternator or anything else for that matter seems to exceed 8 gauge.

Don't think the Big 3 upgrade is something that is needed, but based on what I see it sure couldn't hurt anything either

OP
OP
Witch

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
Was not able to get an amp probe but went ahead and did this anyway figuring it cant hurt

Don't really see or hear any difference. who knows ???

It was something to do on a Sunday, factory config does not make it easy.; zero give in any of the wires makes this upgrade a total pain in the ass,

I do not recommend it unless like me you are a gluten for punishment ........... lol

upload_2018-8-14_17-47-55.png

upload_2018-8-14_17-48-18.png

upload_2018-8-14_17-48-44.png

upload_2018-8-14_17-49-16.png

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Was not able to get an amp probe but went ahead and did this anyway figuring it cant hurt

Don't really see or hear any difference. who knows ???

It was something to do on a Sunday, factory config does not make it easy.; zero give in any of the wires makes this upgrade a total pain in the ass,

I do not recommend it unless like me you are a gluten for punishment ........... lol

View attachment 137372

View attachment 137373

View attachment 137374

View attachment 137375
I'm running similar power as you with no issues as well. Unless you decide to add some big SPL subwoofer I don't see the need. These trucks put out plenty of alternator amps and the power run from the alternator to the battery is short enough that there's minimal loss.

OP
OP
Witch

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
Have to agree, does not seems any louder

Guess I need a bigger alternator and bigger amps ............... :favorites13:

Apac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm installing a kicker 1200.1 amplifier rated at almost 1200 RMS and I'm considering the big three as well. Weather in addition to or in place of a 2 farad capacitor. My question is can I use 4 gauge wire in addition to the factory wires? I'm not sure of the gauge wire from the factory but adding a wire can only help I would think . Plus I have heard both sides of the capacitor argument maybe it helps maybe it doesn't but it definitely won't hurt and I've already got one so I'll likely add it as well