Bigger Tires or Lift kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenpilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Hey guys, new to the forum and thinking about pulling the trigger on a 2008 Dodge Ram Mega Cab w/ 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel. Only problem is, it doesn't have an off road package and thus it has the small stock 17" tires on it and doesn't have the ground clearance that I would need for traveling in the woods on some pretty bumpy and nasty dirt roads. So my question is, would it be better to just put bigger tires on it or putting a 4" lift kit on it? I'm thinking if I just do the lift kit, it'll look pretty *** sitting up higher with the small tires on it. If you recoomend just putting bigger tires on it, what size would you recommend where rubbing wouldnt be an issue? Thanks in advance!!

Hammer_Z71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds to me like you want both!

You are limited on tire size without the lift and if you think the tires are too small now, you'll hate the thing with a lift and the same tires...

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
If you are traveling over rough terrain I'd think you would want better off road tires. Maybe you can put a leveling kit and run 35s? That's what I did on my truck and it did get some extra ground clearance from the larger tires. Then when you get more money you could go with a suspension lift and still run the 35s.

4XLGATOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I would do both. If you lift with the factory tires, it's not going to look good and the tires will not perform very well if you get in any slick. If you level and put 35's on (like mine), you're not going to have much clearance for articulation.

BTW, welcome to RF!

Rebel_Lady91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 dodge magnum 5.2L V8
Welcome to RF! you will love it here, btw...i would go with both

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Start with a 6" suspension lift and some good tires

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Welcome to the site.

Yeah sounds like you need both.

ramthis9501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
What Dave said, that would be awesome. Welcome to the forum!

OP
OP
K

kenpilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Thanks for the replies everybody! I had a feeling you guys were going to tell me I would better off getting the lift AND new tires. ;-) I just didn't really wanna spend that kind of money right away. I don't think I mentioned in the original post that its a Ram 2500. Not sure if that matters or not. Thanks again and thanks for the warm welcomes!

smykowski

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 SLT
Engine
6.7L Cummins
they kinda go hand in hand, big lift and little tires makes you look like this guy. (No offense to anyone on here if this belongs to you, but it looks stupid)
lifted_truck.jpg

smykowski

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 SLT
Engine
6.7L Cummins
i know! all that work, parts, painting, powdercoating...then ruined by stock wheels and tires

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
That suspension looks like a cart for the Nascar pit crews. They all stand in the box to watch the race don't have to pull it around either, they can drive it.

Last edited:

gimpster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
First off Welcome to the site! Next, I'll be just a little different than everyone else. If dough is an issue, I'd do the tires first. Because you'll get some lift from bigger tires. Meanwhile it won't look like crap if you do the lift first but can't afford tires. However, if money is no object........ya gotta do both!