Bilstein 1.4 setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beagler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First of all thank you to the folks on the board sharing all your info to help me with my decision and direction with my truck. Not much info on here for the folks wanting to do the 1.4 setting so I want to share what I did with my truck setup. First off I bought a 2017 Laramie 4x4 December 2017 and got a nice deal on it. I decided on the Bilstein leveling shocks set at 1.4 because I like a little rake and I tow quite a bit. I also didn't want to change the headlight setting and just leave them as is. I chose the Nitto Ridge Grapplers 285/60/20 for my new shoes since I do quite a bit of hunting and off roading. I wanted to stay as close to the original tire size to keep my mileage and speed in tune. After checking it with a GPS nothing changed. I can say after it's all said and done I did lose 1-1.5 mpg with my setup. I was getting 20.5mpg on long trips and 17.5 city/hwy. I'm assuming the weight of the tires was the cause for that but as they wear down it will get back to the original. The only thing I have negative to say about my setup is the quality of ride is not as smooth as the original. Using stiffer shocks and having to add more air to 10 ply tires does make a difference. When I was younger it didn't matter as much but as I get older I like the comfort. First pic is when I bought the truck. 2nd pic is after the install. Added a couple pics for those that haul things with their truck so they can see how the truck sits with the 1.4 setting. Thanks again for this forum!459a8b3d50c63dc45a6cdca0183490b2x.jpg KIMG1630.JPG KIMG1633.JPG KIMG1667.JPG

Joes1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks good.

Do you feel the ride is stiffer do to the 1.4 setting or the heavier stiffer 10ply tires ?

OP
OP
Beagler

Beagler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks good.

Do you feel the ride is stiffer do to the 1.4 setting or the heavier stiffer 10ply tires ?

It has more to do with the 10 ply tires than the shocks. I run 47 psi in the front tires and 38 in the rear. I have found that setting in the past to be the best for even wear with Nittos on a 20'' wheel.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
How does it tow at 1.4 Bilstein setting?

OP
OP
Beagler

Beagler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How does it tow at 1.4 Bilstein setting?

Towing is no different than the regular setup. I went with 1.4 because any higher it just wouldn't look right while towing.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It has more to do with the 10 ply tires than the shocks. I run 47 psi in the front tires and 38 in the rear. I have found that setting in the past to be the best for even wear with Nittos on a 20'' wheel.

And I thought 41 psi was high! I imagine your truck does ride stiff as hell...........

Question, at that pressure are you getting even wear? I ran 286/65/20’s and now 35x12.50x20’s and i get even wear at 41 psi. And using inflation tables, im at the correct pressure for payload capacity.

dalton2425Texas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
First of all thank you to the folks on the board sharing all your info to help me with my decision and direction with my truck. Not much info on here for the folks wanting to do the 1.4 setting so I want to share what I did with my truck setup. First off I bought a 2017 Laramie 4x4 December 2017 and got a nice deal on it. I decided on the Bilstein leveling shocks set at 1.4 because I like a little rake and I tow quite a bit. I also didn't want to change the headlight setting and just leave them as is. I chose the Nitto Ridge Grapplers 285/60/20 for my new shoes since I do quite a bit of hunting and off roading. I wanted to stay as close to the original tire size to keep my mileage and speed in tune. After checking it with a GPS nothing changed. I can say after it's all said and done I did lose 1-1.5 mpg with my setup. I was getting 20.5mpg on long trips and 17.5 city/hwy. I'm assuming the weight of the tires was the cause for that but as they wear down it will get back to the original. The only thing I have negative to say about my setup is the quality of ride is not as smooth as the original. Using stiffer shocks and having to add more air to 10 ply tires does make a difference. When I was younger it didn't matter as much but as I get older I like the comfort. First pic is when I bought the truck. 2nd pic is after the install. Added a couple pics for those that haul things with their truck so they can see how the truck sits with the 1.4 setting. Thanks again for this forum!View attachment 138841 View attachment 138842 View attachment 138843 View attachment 138844

I’m thoroughly surprised at how close to level it looks/sits at 1.4.. love your setup man!! Have you considered Airlift1000 bags for when you tow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Beagler

Beagler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And I thought 41 psi was high! I imagine your truck does ride stiff as hell...........

Question, at that pressure are you getting even wear? I ran 286/65/20’s and now 35x12.50x20’s and i get even wear at 41 psi. And using inflation tables, im at the correct pressure for payload capacity.

I used to run the Trail Grapplers on my old tundra and found that tire pressure setting I'm using to give me the best even wear after going through two sets of them. By having them a little higher also helps with gas mileage. Even with the Goodyear wranglers that come on the truck I had them set at 42 psi.

OP
OP
Beagler

Beagler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m thoroughly surprised at how close to level it looks/sits at 1.4.. love your setup man!! Have you considered Airlift1000 bags for when you tow?

I don't feel a need for airbags since just towing the boat and the cart. I'm thinking about buying a travel trailer camper and if so I would probably look in to getting the airlift bags for the added tongue weight.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
5100's are inherently more sportier than factory, so they'll ride firmer, and E rated tires at 47 PSI would make for a much stiffer ride.

Set the tires to 36PSI and see how the truck feels, air up the rear as needed for towing/hauling. Give that a try. Nothing else you can do will soften down the ride, save for a set of different strut/shocks.

I've ran Billy 5100's in many applications to level/lift before, I have a Chevy truck in the houseshold currently running 5100's to level with 33's, they offer good value for the money if the truck is going to be driven on the street, i've also ran Radflo and Fox Hi performance coilover/shocks, and know how good they are everywhere, especially when you want to give your ride more speed around washes and dirt roads.

5100's run firmer, and you can't adjust the valving, though they shouldn't feel a lot more firmer than stock if setup on 1st/2nd perch, past that they seem to firm up the higher you go. Don't know how they feel in the RAM, but they feel a lot of hasher at the top perch in certain applications, one of them Nissan X terra, bone jarring hard when set at the top, little better on the 3rd, in a FJ for example, top perch feels a lot more sportier, but not harsh, Silverado, sportier at the top perch,but speed bumps feel harsh .... I wanted to try something different in the RAM since i picked it up last month, i wanted something not very expensive, and something i could adjust the valving without having to pony up for Fox or Radflo, not looking to go fast in the dirt with this things, as i know they're not setup with that in mind, just like 5100's or any other normal shock/strut, so i thought trying Rancho's this time around.

I know Rancho's have a bad rep all around that come from years back, yet i still decided to try their QL setup in my RAM just because..., i'm running 45psi in Falken AT's, E rated, in 315/70/17's, i'm running the Rancho QL set up at#4, and they soak speed bumps/potholes etc fairly well, to the point that even 45psi in E rated tires feels plush like factory, so for the time being, they're doing what i wanted them to do, and i'm impressed with how the truck feels, front came up 2", with a little rake in the rear. i'll take some measurements (i have the before numbers) if you want, and show before/after if you want to know what to expect, this is how she looks currently

43424098524_d0c5f84dc8_h.jpgUntitled by Wrangler RSM, on Flickr

I'll upgrade to a hi performance mid travel setup later on with Radflo as they're local to me here in Socal, so i can drop them off when they need rebuilds, and pick them up when they're done without having to pay shipping fees and wait for them in the mail, the Rancho's will then be the backup set.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The "Car Tires" that come on these trucks give good gas mileage, and they ride soft, but they're not going anywhere when the going gets tough.

When l had tires put on, I thought I ruined the ride of the truck. Checked the air pressure. It was around 50psi! I aired down to 36, and it rides very decent.

After I had Bils put on all around, to be quite honest, it feels just about the same as stock. I think it does better at RR crossings, tho.

Air pressure makes a big difference in my 2 door Wrangler.

dalton2425Texas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I feel like having the front and rear at different psi’s would increase the chance of uneven wearing.. what’s the thought or idea behind running the rear lower?

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I feel like having the front and rear at different psi’s would increase the chance of uneven wearing.. what’s the thought or idea behind running the rear lower?

I guess the theory of less psi in the rear is because there’s less weight to “mash” the tire down compared to the front with the engine etc. Too much psi and the tire will wear more in the center.

My 37’s are 43psi front and 37psi rear and are wearing perfectly.

dalton2425Texas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I guess the theory of less psi in the rear is because there’s less weight to “mash” the tire down compared to the front with the engine etc. Too much psi and the tire will wear more in the center.

My 37’s are 43psi front and 37psi rear and are wearing perfectly.

I can see that... I guess just as with everything else, to each their own.

I haul so much weight in the bed of the truck each week that mine definitely needs more air than 37-39.

With these new tires, I’m running 45psi all around.

OP
OP
Beagler

Beagler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exactly right. More weight in the front than the rear is reason for the difference in air pressure.