Bilstein 8112 on 4th gen ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamBat23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
As the title says, would those coilovers fit on our 4th gen ?

I've seen some post about it but wanted to have a clear answer.

If yes, what pros/cons would it bring ?

Thanks !

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They're not showing in the Bilstein USA catalog for the 4th gen RAM 1500, only showing for the 5th gen. But technically they should fit in our strut mounts as everything in there is the same. The problem will be if they will really fit in our application or not. If i remember correctly stock vs stock the difference is mostly where the coil pearch is resting so if you were to install 2021 RAM 1500 struts in your 4th gen i'll think you'll see some extra lift. Since these are coilovers you can adjust the height as any other CO. They have literally exactly the same length specs as King 2.5 or Fox 2.5 CO's so they should work in our 4th gean application. But if you're committing to it make sure they'll fit or know for sure you can return them if you tested them and they didn't fit. If you can have a pair and compare them side by side to another CO specific to the RAM 1500 you will know right away. Maybe a trip to a 4wp or ORW or any other place where you can have them in your hands will work.
Pro's they're race 2.5 coilovers, little more advanced than the OE options from Kings or Fox 2.5
Cons, more expensive than King or Fox OE 2.5's if you want to see price as a Cons :)

OP
OP
RamBat23

RamBat23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Couldn't ask for a better answer, once again you came to help with your deep knowledge, thank you !

So basically it's gonna be you have to try to know for sure.

My wife is about to give birth, it's a matter of hours/days, after we came back from hospital and settle home with our newborn baby, I'll be looking for some 2.5's front and rear.

I was looking at some videos and they were making me thinking for a 5th gen to go with the kit haha. If it fit, they would be on top of my list.

Plan to bring the truck on forest/moutain trail, with some mid-hard crawling and high speed dirt road.

Wish list :
- 35×12.5 Nokian Tyres Outpost AT
- 2.5's front/rear
- Rear control arms
- WIY front bumper from coastal offroad
- Winch (do you have a recommandation?)
- Rear WiY high clearance bumper with Swing out carrier from coastal offroad.

For starters, I think it will be enough. I've been looking around and ask some dumb questions, just want to settle my mind on a kit and stop looking for something else haha.

What would you recommand ?

Last edited:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I looked at those as well. They would technically give you more lift than advertised being you have a 4th gen. I’m still contemplating buying 5th gen 6112s and setting them around 1.5-2” since that should be 2.5-3” in our 4th gens and putting them in my truck. They are 1/2” longer extended than 4th gen 6112s but also only have 6” travel vs the 4th gen 6112 at 6.25” travel. Not sure .25” is enough to deter me from buying the 5th gen version. Valving is slightly different I’m assuming too.

RVA Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They look offset to one side or the other, would that have any impact to fitment?

c18bb730c485d0aac4b1d1b0d6524834__26383.1624041208.jpg

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If its to offset to the front, its actually a good thing, Will give more clearance for the CV shaft.

My 6112's are pretty close to the CV Shaft

20210717_163730.jpg

OP
OP
RamBat23

RamBat23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
@ram1500rsm In all your wisdom, do you happen to know if the 8100 would fit in the back ? I think I saw something about the top mount being different or something like that, but can't remember.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 5th gen top mount is not an eyelet like 4th gens. And the offset would be good because it pushes the strut away from the cv. You have a designated driver and passenger strut with that setup.

OP
OP
RamBat23

RamBat23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
The 5th gen top mount is not an eyelet like 4th gens. And the offset would be good because it pushes the strut away from the cv. You have a designated driver and passenger strut with that setup.
Cool, that's what I thought, thank you !

Just for personal knowledge, what kind of mount it is ?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cool, that's what I thought, thank you !

Just for personal knowledge, what kind of mount it is ?
The 5th gen stock top mount is the same as 4th gen. The 8112 is something custom from bilstein
Edit: sorry. I’m not thinking straight. Lol. The rear top mount is a through style bushing mount not an eyelet like our trucks. The lower mount is an eyelet for both

Last edited:

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@ram1500rsm In all your wisdom, do you happen to know if the 8100 would fit in the back ? I think I saw something about the top mount being different or something like that, but can't remember.
No. The rear upper mount is different. Plus their length is literally the same as your stock rear shocks so you wouldn’t gain any rear travel.

OP
OP
RamBat23

RamBat23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
No. The rear upper mount is different. Plus their length is literally the same as your stock rear shocks so you wouldn’t gain any rear travel.
Thank you, so the best as I see it would something like your setup with longer smoothie.
Should I go this way even if I don't have much weight in the back, for not saying nothing, and don't tow really often, when I do it's a Sea Doo spark trixx ?
Or should I be looking for something like Dirt King bypass ?

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The bypasses from DK will be a bit noisy but they’re max performance race shocks. You can jump with that setup if you wanted. They also have a version with IBP’s instead. Less performance compared To the bypasses but no noise and you can still jump that setup. But if you’re looking for all out the entire DK setup will be the way to go. I think they give IBPs in the front COs with triple bypass in the back. Talk to them they have some more suspension hardware for the RAM I don’t see in their website but I know they have cause I saw their trucks at the last Pomona offroad show. More advanced suspension than what they’re showing online.

Have fun.