Black blitz paint job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ive been looking at this John deere black blitz paint since Cody suggested it earlier and I think im gonna give it a shot on my truck in the next week or so. Still gotta call around and see where I can find the stuff but Ive got a couple questions first...

1) What grit sandpaper should I use to sand with?
2) What kind of surface cleaner should I use after and how exactly do I use it?
3) How do yall recommend I paint it. I plan on at least taking the hood off to spray it better, but what else? Like where to start off and spray first... any order that would make it easier? I dont plan on painting the door jambs or the bed

Forgive me but Ive never done a paint job like this before... Any other tips or tricks are greatly appreciated!

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To clean the surface use a good auto wax and grease remover...use a lint free cloth, like cheese cloth.

When you start painting, you will wanna do your jams first, overlapping around the edges a couple inches...then go in and do the rest.

As for the sand paper, whatever it takes to get the clear off your current finish. Don't go down to bare metal, the current paint will act as a sealer.

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i wouldnt reccomend painting your truck at all unless you have some experiance using a spraygun and have a little practice on some bigger things.

But for sanding i would use some 120 to knock down the clear and ruff it up then step it up to some 400 grit or a red scotch brite pab. i sure hope you have an air compressor and a DA or its gonna take for ever to sand. Also dont forget about wet sanding inbetween coats.

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
do it man it's gonna look sick!

don't do it by hand! haha I'll tell ya that. get a sander, and you prob know, but keep it moving constantly or you'll risk taking to much off.

I think whoever you get the paint from, ask them about spraying it, and what grit they suggest sanding with.

smokedram knows his ****, helped me alot with my interior stuff

Tapatalk Addict

OP
OP
TexasRammer

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To clean the surface use a good auto wax and grease remover...use a lint free cloth, like cheese cloth.

When you start painting, you will wanna do your jams first, overlapping around the edges a couple inches...then go in and do the rest.

As for the sand paper, whatever it takes to get the clear off your current finish. Don't go down to bare metal, the current paint will act as a sealer.
So thats all I would need to use after I sand it?

i wouldnt reccomend painting your truck at all unless you have some experiance using a spraygun and have a little practice on some bigger things.

But for sanding i would use some 120 to knock down the clear and ruff it up then step it up to some 400 grit or a red scotch brite pab. i sure hope you have an air compressor and a DA or its gonna take for ever to sand. Also dont forget about wet sanding inbetween coats.

Thanks. Im gonna test paint on a couple things just to get the hang of it. Ive read where other people used this stuff on their first ever paint job and it turned out perfect so Im not to worried, I dont think it could be any worse than the paint currently on my truck anyways... Ive got a porter cable da so not worried about that. With this paint you dont need to wet sand. It a satin finish thats meant for farm equipment and is real tough. Most people only put on one coat

OP
OP
TexasRammer

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
do it man it's gonna look sick!

don't do it by hand! haha I'll tell ya that. get a sander, and you prob know, but keep it moving constantly or you'll risk taking to much off.

I think whoever you get the paint from, ask them about spraying it, and what grit they suggest sanding with.

smokedram knows his ****, helped me alot with my interior stuff

I hope so, im really excited to try it! haha ya Ive got a good sander so thatll be pretty easy.

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
you might be able to get it from tractor supply but if you have a john deere dealer around they should have it.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would say so...you gonna do any other body work to it (fillin in low spots...etc?)

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So thats all I would need to use after I sand it?

Thanks. Im gonna test paint on a couple things just to get the hang of it. Ive read where other people used this stuff on their first ever paint job and it turned out perfect so Im not to worried, I dont think it could be any worse than the paint currently on my truck anyways... Ive got a porter cable da so not worried about that. With this paint you dont need to wet sand. It a satin finish thats meant for farm equipment and is real tough. Most people only put on one coat

you will need to wetsand if you get any runs or orange peel in the paint. Also are you painting in a booth or outside/garage? if your outside or in a garage you might have to wetsand if you get dust in it.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you will need to wetsand if you get any runs or orange peel in the paint. Also are you painting in a booth or outside/garage? if your outside or in a garage you might have to wetsand if you get dust in it.

x2...however, I think most people using this stuff, just spray and go...lol

OP
OP
TexasRammer

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you might be able to get it from tractor supply but if you have a john deere dealer around they should have it.
Ya im gonna call tractor supply first tomorrow and ask, hopefully they do. The nearest jd dealer is about an hour away so ill try them next. I read some dealers would only sell it by the bulk for some reason though so that would suck

I would say so...you gonna do any other body work to it (fillin in low spots...etc?)

Ya, Ive got a couple small dents ill try to get out and bondo to smooth it out

OP
OP
TexasRammer

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Ill be doing it in my garage. lol Ive read of people doing it outside, it still looked good though

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

yea thats what i have read but personally i always try to wetsand after i paint anything. just gives it a smoother fininsh.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
There's a difference between alot of wax and grease remover and surface cleaner
Get surface cleaner from a local paint place and don't skimp
Wipe the whole thing down before sanding and after sanding
Do not go to bare metal of you don't have to
If you have rusts spots, knock them down and use a self etching primer and try to get an epoxy primer to top coat it

A DA will make it a lot easier on you

Don't be afraid of spray guns. Get some practice with it and get used to it.

Wet sanding with 600 and 800 every few coats will make a big difference in how it turns out

If its got where your spraying add a little more thinner

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ya im gonna call tractor supply first tomorrow and ask, hopefully they do. The nearest jd dealer is about an hour away so ill try them next. I read some dealers would only sell it by the bulk for some reason though so that would suck

Ya, Ive got a couple small dents ill try to get out and bondo to smooth it out

how much is by the bulk? I would think youll need atleast 1.5 gallons maybe 2 but im not to sure on that.

where are the dents? can you get to them from the back? if not use 80 grit and rough up the dent and about 3'' around it. that way you can taper it off and make it level so you dont end up with high spots.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TexasRammer

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's a difference between alot of wax and grease remover and surface cleaner
Get surface cleaner from a local paint place and don't skimp
Wipe the whole thing down before sanding and after sanding
Do not go to bare metal of you don't have to
If you have rusts spots, knock them down and use a self etching primer and try to get an epoxy primer to top coat it

A DA will make it a lot easier on you

Don't be afraid of spray guns. Get some practice with it and get used to it.

Wet sanding with 600 and 800 every few coats will make a big difference in how it turns out

If its got where your spraying add a little more thinner
Thanks! Ya its probably gonna be pretty hot, so do you think about 8:2:1 paint: thinner: hardener?
how much is by the bulk? I would think youll need atleast 1.5 gallons maybe 2 but im not to sure on that.

where are the dents? can you get to them from the back? if not use 80 grit and rough up the dent and about 3'' around it. that way you can taper it off and make it level so you dont end up with high spots.
People were saying like cases of it, but hopefully the dealer isnt like that here. I plan on using a gallon and possibly a quart . Ok, ya some of them I can get to, but others I cant

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
8:2:1 would probably make it to then
If your doing it in a garage I would maybe only add a hair more then the one part to make it spray better

OP
OP
TexasRammer

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok thats true, it usually not too bad in my garage so Ill just add a tad bit and go from there

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tractor Supply Company had JD Blitz Black on it's shelves when I was there about a month ago.

OP
OP
TexasRammer

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tractor Supply Company had JD Blitz Black on it's shelves when I was there about a month ago.

Awesome! lol thanks, I was really hoping they would. Ill probably go there tomorrow and get the supplies. Probably not gonna start until next friday though because I start school monday and dont wanna be working on it all during the week