Blown front diff.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim Nielsen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got home from work yesterday and shortly noticed a 10 in. Puddle of diff fluid up front...after inspecting I found a half dollar size hole in the diff housing with a nut stuck in the hole....wondering if anyone else has had this failure???...also..I plan to source an axle do the repair myself with a friend...we are both very mechanically inclined and have all the tools...just wondering how hard and how long this job will take on average..what to expect..roadblocks..ect. ??...05 Hemi..4x4...160k.

DAVID C SHOUN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Noob here. I purchased my '08 last September and have been getting her back in shape. I've always felt a vibration, and lots done to address the issue. Recently, it had begun a nasty shudder at take-off or reverse. Shop took it for a drive n said they could not duplicate, but thought it might be tranny. I bet money it was the rear diff, and told the tech to 'humor me' and pull the rear cover.
Here is what he found......
Lucky I got this BEFORE it crashed down on me.

imagejpeg_0 (1).jpg

DAVID C SHOUN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have read that the clips holding the posi clutches together tend to fall out, as it seems this one was no exception

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Clutch pack clips in the 9.25 have been a thing for decades. Most of the time they get stuck to the magnet and cause no issue, it's rare for that to cause a serious problem.

The front diff...that's an interesting one. A straight diff swap shouldn't take but half a day, depending on condition of fasteners.