Blown head gasket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lucasgunzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Noticed my 07 5.7 was leaking a little coolant the other day. Well I forgot about it and went and started it and it was putting out plenty white smoke. Is it a blown head gasket? How much Trouble is it to change that on your own? Thanks in advance

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does it missfire any coolant mixing with oil? How badly did you overheat it? I would do a compression test and then go get a cheap harboer freight block testor will tell ya alot.

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Noticed my 07 5.7 was leaking a little coolant the other day. Well I forgot about it and went and started it and it was putting out plenty white smoke. Is it a blown head gasket? How much Trouble is it to change that on your own? Thanks in advance
Yes its a blown head gasket. Thats steam coming out of the exhaust.

OP
OP
lucasgunzz

lucasgunzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
IT didn’t overheat, i just moved it in the driveway right over to the other side of the yard. Everything seems to be running fine, oil is normal. The leak was coming from the bottom of the water pump so I changed that. Now I’ve discovered oil leaking from the bottom of the valve cover. Would that still be my problem? I’ve ran it since I changed the pump and it got a little warmer than normal but immediately went down to normal and it never happened again
Does it missfire any coolant mixing with oil? How badly did you overheat it? I would do a compression test and then go get a cheap harboer freight block testor will tell ya alot

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
After your truck has sat for a day or two, crack the oil drain plug loose, but DO NOT remove it.

Put a small pan underneath to catch the drips, the loosen the drain plug just enough that it starts to drip. Watch the drip.

If theres coolant in your crankcase. you will see it very quickly.