Boggled by little boat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all, trying to get some brain storming on an issue I'm having. I have a 2014 1500 which I've done some towing with before (18' Double axle car trailer, 20' camper trailer, 10x8 loaded snow mobile trailer) but for some reason when I tow my 16' Hewescraft with 50hp 4stroke, the thing pulls like a pig! The truck struggles with it and always feels under strain and I'm running out of things to check.
I've installed a new dexter axle/hubs/bearings, new leaf springs and tires. None of that fixed the sluggishness. I've removed the boat decking and the floatation foam is bone dry. I've yet to weight the whole package though. Any thoughts?

Also as a side note: I replaced the springs because they were original to the trailer (89' ez-loader) and bushings had been long gone. Replaced everything else, so why not. However, when I lowered the weight back down on the new springs, the bolt and bushing nearly pop out of the open eye end?! In the photo, you can see across to the othe spring as well. I figure one big bump and I'm in trouble. Are heavier springs the fix?

Many thanks!4b6d80d476417acb7f7547963eedcac4.jpg
846e5167c750384f8bd365f69d0059a2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Weighing the trailer with boat would be a good first step. However looking at a comparable 16 ft Hewes the boat can't be more than 2500 lbs fully loaded (should be much lighter on the trailer), add 1000 lbs for the trailer and that's still sub 4000 lbs.

Does the trailer have surge brakes ? Maybe something wrong there and the brakes are dragging ? As for the springs, the arch doesn't look bad. It does look like the springs might be too long though, unfortunately they come in a number of similar but different length (20", 21 3/4", 22"....) Double check the spacing between the mounts and how long the springs are.

OP
OP
61N150W

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Weighing the trailer with boat would be a good first step. However looking at a comparable 16 ft Hewes the boat can't be more than 2500 lbs fully loaded (should be much lighter on the trailer), add 1000 lbs for the trailer and that's still sub 4000 lbs.

Does the trailer have surge brakes ? Maybe something wrong there and the brakes are dragging ? As for the springs, the arch doesn't look bad. It does look like the springs might be too long though, unfortunately they come in a number of similar but different length (20", 21 3/4", 22"....) Double check the spacing between the mounts and how long the springs are.

No brakes on this trailer/axle, i apologize as I should have noted. As you mentioned, dragging it to a scale is probably the best place to start. Just to make sure the numbers jive.

I brought the old springs into the local trailer supply store. The guy quickly pulled out the new set and they looked identical. Perhaps I should have looked closer. However, when I installed them, they lined right up with the hangers which were still in the original positions. Perhaps the bushing wasn't all the way snug against the back on the open end. Think I'll remove all unnecessary weight before I pull this across town to the scale and those springs barely hanging on!

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Something is definitely wrong if that single axle boat trailer is giving your truck performance grief.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Have you checked if the wheels are straight with the frame? Measure the front and back of the wheel in reference to the frame. Depending if or how the weheels are angled, the could be scrubbing against each other so you may not see much of any sway.
I know some guys are amazed at how much wind drag a pontoon boat causes, maybe try changing how the front of the trailer(up/down) sits or removing the top off the boat if you tow with that on.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Have you checked if the wheels are straight with the frame?

^This.

The spring ends/eyelets being like that have to be causing a problem. They don't look like they would be supporting any weight if they are sliding out of position when the load is put on the trailer. That and the spring ends being pushed out, the load on the trailer could cause the axle not to be straight.

Last edited:

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
Looking up some numbers, the boat is in the 1200 to 1300lbs weight range and the trailer at most is probably in the 700lbs weight range, was looking up some specs for the boat & trailer....probably on the high side for the weight.

2k lbs. plus or minus should be nothing for your truck to pull.

http://www.hewescraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/2-SM-Specs-1.pdf

Those springs ends shouldn't have the bushings slide out like that. You sure those are the correct bushings for the spring ends?

OP
OP
61N150W

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you checked if the wheels are straight with the frame? Measure the front and back of the wheel in reference to the frame. Depending if or how the weheels are angled, the could be scrubbing against each other so you may not see much of any sway.
I know some guys are amazed at how much wind drag a pontoon boat causes, maybe try changing how the front of the trailer(up/down) sits or removing the top off the boat if you tow with that on.

I'll definitely check these measurements next. The trailer definitely tracks straight when pulled but as you mentioned, may not mean anything.

I usually tow it with the canvas down. I'm all too familiar with wind drag as I usually pull 2-3 stacked 18' catarafts. Talk about an mpg suck!

I do think the tounge is tipping slightly upwards when hooked to the truck. I could try a 2" drop to see how that changes the handling.

OP
OP
61N150W

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking up some numbers, the boat is in the 1200 to 1300lbs weight range and the trailer at most is probably in the 700lbs weight range, was looking up some specs for the boat & trailer....probably on the high side for the weight.

2k lbs. plus or minus should be nothing for your truck to pull.

http://www.hewescraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/2-SM-Specs-1.pdf

Those springs ends shouldn't have the bushings slide out like that. You sure those are the correct bushings for the spring ends?

You bring up a good point on the spring ends potentially throwing the axle out of alignment. I hadn't considered that.

To be honest, this is embarrassingly my first trailer with the open end style leaf spring so I'm not very familiar with how they should act. My other trailers all have double closed eye springs with shackle systems. I understand they are a form of a "slipper" spring but I knew right off the bat it didn't look right. Its way too far from the closed end for my comfort. Unfortunately, i had to trust the crew at the trailer supply store when it came to the springs/bushings. I still have the part numbers somewhere. Might be worth a trip to their shop to get their eyes on it.

I wish I had reference from how it looked prior to replacement, but I had a bored/retired FIL decide they needed to come off while I was at work...

OP
OP
61N150W

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also, thanks all for the suggestions! Easy to over look things and I appreciate all the ideas.

OP
OP
61N150W

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's always time for a new boat!

Maybe a stupid question, but you're not hailing around a bunch of water in the bilge are you?
Actually a very valid question. They built these boats with an open cell foam. I had actually already gone through thr pain of removing probably some 200 lbs of water logged foam from this boat. I replaced mine with pool noodles, but there is a lot of theory out there on what to use.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
To be honest, this is embarrassingly my first trailer with the open end style leaf spring so I'm not very familiar with how they should act.

I dunno, I know you spent the money on new springs and bushings, maybe it would be worth it to go back to the shop you bought them from, get a similar length spring, closed ends both sides and have a shackle added in and forget the C-hook/slipper style end.

My $0.02 cents.

OP
OP
61N150W

61N150W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I dunno, I know you spent the money on new springs and bushings, maybe it would be worth it to go back to the shop you bought them from, get a similar length spring, closed ends both sides and have a shackle added in and forget the C-hook/slipper style end.

My $0.02 cents.
I stopped by there today to show them the pictures; gather their thoughts. The response was that it looked completely normal and it was operating as designed... Still didn't feel good about it so I went to their other location on the way home, did the same, and they suggested I bring it in based on what they were seeing. They're thinking I was sold too short of springs.
But I'm with you. If they can't make me feel comfortable, I'll just eat the cost of new hardware and go with a setup I can trust.