Bottle jacks and jack stands

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
wrigley

wrigley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was at my friends house a few years ago and he was working on his Chevy. His truck was a 3/4 ton with a welder in the back and he had a air bumper jack attached to his rear bumper. He had it high enough so he could sit under his truck and do whatever he was doing. He got out from under his truck to get a part and right after he got out his bumper ripped off and the truck slammed to the ground. No jackstands. he was very lucky.
The man upstairs was looking out for him for sure!

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just curious if anyone is using strictly bottle jacks and jack stands when raising the truck for DIY oil changes vice using ramps or a trolley jack? If so, what are you using as the jack points for the bottle jacks on the truck? Thanks

Mike
I use ramps and jack stands under each front wheel along the chocks under the rear wheels and make sure the emergency brake is on ... I also have air suspension and raise the truck to its highest point which gives me that much more room ..

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I use ramps and jack stands under each front wheel along the chocks under the rear wheels and make sure the emergency brake is on ... I also have air suspension and raise the truck to its highest point which gives me that much more room ..
I tried that once but found that the combination of the raised suspension and ramps put the truck at an awkward height for doing an oil change. A little too high for laying on my back and not high enough to sit up. To each his own I guess.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For some reason I hate ramps. We had a set finally gave em away. I'll stick with my Big Red floor jack (never heard it called a trolley jack) and jack stands. But I can wiggle my chunky butt under my stock height 4x4 on 17's for an oil change no problem.

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tried that once but found that the combination of the raised suspension and ramps put the truck at an awkward height for doing an oil change. A little too high for laying on my back and not high enough to sit up. To each his own I guess.
I put a Stahlbus drain valve on my oil pan so it's just a matter of unscrewing the cap, insert the drain line valve, turn, and voila oil is draining ... Makes it easy, and no tools to play with under the truck ... I also use a creeper to slide under ...

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Drain valves make the job a lot easier, more than people realize. I use the ValvoMax drain valve.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I used to use ramps or a floor jack & ramps to get under the truck.
I elevated the truck enough to use shop creeper, so i could move around under the vehicles easily.

Then i stopped using the creeper & i just laid on plastic tarps.
I did that because i had let my hair grow out, to the point that the wheels were always tangled in my hair.
At one point i was carrying shears to cut myself loose

1692654613403.png
since the pix, my hair is about 4 or 5 inches longer
2 more inches & it will be down to my arm pits