Bottle jacks and jack stands

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wrigley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just curious if anyone is using strictly bottle jacks and jack stands when raising the truck for DIY oil changes vice using ramps or a trolley jack? If so, what are you using as the jack points for the bottle jacks on the truck? Thanks

Mike

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Don't use bottle jacks for oil changes, my 2500 is easy to get at sitting on the ground. but I do for other stuff. I usually jack on the frame, unless I am trying to change a tire, then I jack on the axle close to the tire being changed.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Pretty sure @wrigley has a 1500 based on his info. They're tough to get underneath when at stock height. I raise mine up with the air suspension, plus both front air dams have been removed, so there's plenty of room for me to fit with a creeper even. I wouldn't use bottle jacks because I'm not that ambitious. I drive my Audi onto ramps when changing oil in that. But if he wants to use them, there are plenty of jacking points on the frame, lower control arms, and engine support crossover.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
"Trolley" jack (never heard it called that before) and a prayer. If I'm going to be under for a while or going to be wiggling stuff around a lot and I'm afraid of it slipping I may add a jack stand.

Just lift on the front axle, 2500 is a solid front.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just curious if anyone is using strictly bottle jacks and jack stands when raising the truck for DIY oil changes vice using ramps or a trolley jack? If so, what are you using as the jack points for the bottle jacks on the truck? Thanks

Mike
Two inch front level and 20 inch rims gives my overweight old butt plenty of clearance to slide under without ramps or jacks.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
"Trolley" jack (never heard it called that before) and a prayer. If I'm going to be under for a while or going to be wiggling stuff around a lot and I'm afraid of it slipping I may add a jack stand.

Just lift on the front axle, 2500 is a solid front.
Again, the OP has a 1500 which does not have a solid front axle. Also, anyone who relies on just the jack while crawling under a truck is a future Darwin award recipient. But you're old enough to make these decisions yourself so I won't press the point.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
As Sherman Bird mentioned, from the Owner's Manual:

1691780334750.png

Never use anything hydraulic (bottle jack) as the only means of support...always use a mechanical means (jackstand).

Rather than dealing with jacking up each side to change my oil and scraping up the control arms (or worse), I bought a set of ramps. The investment cost was worth it to me when considering the ease (and safety) of just driving up on them to work under the truck:

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I do not or will not scissor jack, either alone or with other supports

I often use ramps, but i use 2X6s stacked to make a long sloping ramp, to help the front Sport bumper to clear.

If i use Trolley Jacks, i place wood on the Pad, that is until i talked to a guy at Discount Tire.
It seems that they buy a lot of Floor Jacks, they are given Jack Pads with the jacks. They hardly ever use those pads.

1691782217684.png

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Again, the OP has a 1500 which does not have a solid front axle. Also, anyone who relies on just the jack while crawling under a truck is a future Darwin award recipient. But you're old enough to make these decisions yourself so I won't press the point.
I know OP has a 1500, I'm just saying in my case that's what I do. And making poor safety decisions just adds to the spice of life.

OP, if you are a noob, don't do what I do.

OP
OP
wrigley

wrigley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the responses. As is, I can't get under the truck when it is sitting directly on the ground because of the running boards and (lack of a better word) extension of the front bumper or lower bumper valance. I am ALWAYS safety conscious and even use jack stand when I am changing the oil on any vehicle. I have never owned a truck as big as this one and I was just thinking out loud that it might be easier to jack it up just enough to slide my A$$ underneath to get to the drain plug and filter using bottle jacks and of course, jack stands for safety. Thanks

Mike

Attachments

• RAM1.PNG
    RAM1.PNG
    1.8 MB · Views: 18

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Most of my driveway is gravel also so I don't always have the paved portion to work off of (depending on where my wife parks).

Even with the ORG there is not a lot of clearance between the ground and the front bumper/nerf bars, especially for gut clearance to get back to the drain plug ;).

I have a set of jack pads for my floor jack and jack stands. They also have a groove for pinch welds since I have two cars also...

1691788145195.png

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I do not or will not scissor jack, either alone or with other supports

I often use ramps, but i use 2X6s stacked to make a long sloping ramp, to help the front Sport bumper to clear.

If i use Trolley Jacks, i place wood on the Pad, that is until i talked to a guy at Discount Tire.
It seems that they buy a lot of Floor Jacks, they are given Jack Pads with the jacks. They hardly ever use those pads.
What's a trolley jack?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I would have to look up Trolley Jack

When i buy a portable, ( Baby size ) Floor jack
i have always called it a Trolley Jack

1691795407897.png
1691795583351.png

I guess that i have used the incorrect wording about Jacks, for most of my life :)

A TROLLEY JACK has wheels .

It has nothing to do with the actual size of the Jack with Wheels

I would guess that many of us shade tree mechanics, have made the same mistake

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I would have to look up Trolley Jack

When i buy a portable, ( Baby size ) Floor jack
i have always called it a Trolley Jack

I guess that i have used the incorrect wording about Jacks, for most of my life :)

A TROLLEY JACK has wheels .

It has nothing to do with the actual size of the Jack with Wheels

I would guess that many of us shade tree mechanics, have made the same mistake
Everyone I know has always called the ones you can push around on wheels a floor jack, no matter the size.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
As Sherman Bird mentioned, from the Owner's Manual:

View attachment 526330

Never use anything hydraulic (bottle jack) as the only means of support...always use a mechanical means (jackstand).

Rather than dealing with jacking up each side to change my oil and scraping up the control arms (or worse), I bought a set of ramps. The investment cost was worth it to me when considering the ease (and safety) of just driving up on them to work under the truck:

I was always curious about using the ramps.

If you use them on a garage floor; do they slide at all when you drive up them?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Metal ramps on cement, in my experience almost always slide

I have a set of heavy duty metal ramps, they have nothing mounted on them that have a gripping surface.
They just take up room on the garage floor.

I just use my composite plastic ramps, but they are just a bit too steep to use with my Sport Bumper
So i have some 2 X 6s, cut to use as an approach ramp
1691872107684.png