Bottle jacks and jack stands

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I was always curious about using the ramps.

If you use them on a garage floor; do they slide at all when you drive up them?
Yes, they slide and it's a pain in the butt. However, if you can get up on them without them sliding they are the way to go.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
With 4x4 in low range they don't slide much in my experience. For 2 wheel drive cars and trucks, pop rivet a strip of old tire rubber to the bottom of the ramps on each side, tread facing the floor, cures 99% of sliding.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Rubber mat !!

I think i know something that might work.
The original Mopar floor mats, that are made for Rams with a full floor console.
Those P.O.S. might be good for some thing, after all

actually, i have a set of semi truck mud flaps some where

The first person that wants to borrow the metal ramps, would not need to return them

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I had my trans am, I used two old bath mats with rubber backing. Ramps never moved. I had lowered it with eibachs and had to pull onto a piece or wood first to get the nose high enough to get on the ramps. PITA but it worked.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ramps with jack stands. I never just use ramps. I also chock the rear tires once up on the ramps.

I never chock, especially on my gravel driveway they'll just scoot backwards anyway. My parking brake is turned on to automatically set every time it is put in park. Works very slick, parking brake is designed and intended to be used each and every time you get out of your truck.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Floor jack bottle jack I use both. Jack points under the axle. I don’t need to jack my truck up to change the oil pw on 35s. If I need to rotate the tires or something I can just use the rock sliders I built the cross bars are 2x2 .250 wall tube.

Attachments

• IMG_0638.jpeg
    IMG_0638.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 13

GeoffG68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use steel ramps on my concrete driveway for my truck. Even with the 4x4's additional height it's too tight of a squeeze for me to roll under there on a creeper without lifting the truck. I do block the rear wheels when up on the ramp. I also use an Oil Udder to help with the stupid oil filter placement on a 5.7L. It's not a perfect solution but it is considerably less messy.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I know a young fellow that was killed with just a jack ( bumper jack) would have been in the yard I think, JackAll are another one that you don't get under.
I had a long set of ramps built with bridge planks, I could run my highway tractor on that one
I used lots of hydraulic jacks on tractors and such, but always with stands of some type
Dad had a pit, but it was always wet, and a bit too deep, we made it 6 ft

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I was always curious about using the ramps.

If you use them on a garage floor; do they slide at all when you drive up them?

Metal ramps on cement, in my experience almost always slide

I have a set of heavy duty metal ramps, they have nothing mounted on them that have a gripping surface.
They just take up room on the garage floor.

I just use my composite plastic ramps, but they are just a bit too steep to use with my Sport Bumper
So i have some 2 X 6s, cut to use as an approach ramp
View attachment 526387

My garage floor is polished concrete. Metal ramps slide badly on it. I picked up a set of Rhino Ramps and no more sliding. They are a heavy duty plastic, and have rubber inserts built into it. They might actually slide on my floor if it was wet (very slick floor when wet) but I haven't had any issues so far. If there is any texture at all on the surface you won't get any sliding from Rhino Ramps.Can't speak to how well they work on gravel though. Plus they don't have a steep of a ramp as some of the steel ramps I've owned, and the front air dams don't touch them. I can even use them on my Audi without the body work touching them.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Metal ramps on cement, in my experience almost always slide

I have a set of heavy duty metal ramps, they have nothing mounted on them that have a gripping surface.
They just take up room on the garage floor.

I just use my composite plastic ramps, but they are just a bit too steep to use with my Sport Bumper
So i have some 2 X 6s, cut to use as an approach ramp
View attachment 526387
That is why I made HD wood ones, though I did have heavy steel ones, but the bumper would some times hit. I have some rubber sidewalk tiles, about 16 in sq made from recycled tires that work great under stull like this, I use them under my grinder stands as well Keeps stuff from sliding around, or you could make a wood base with rubber pads, mine had rubber feet, but over the yrs they wore out. BTW the ones I made out of brigde planks where about 5 ft long, but I had a 40x 80 ft shed, so had room, and a FEL.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
My garage floor is polished concrete. Metal ramps slide badly on it. I picked up a set of Rhino Ramps and no more sliding. They are a heavy duty plastic, and have rubber inserts built into it. They might actually slide on my floor if it was wet (very slick floor when wet) but I haven't had any issues so far. If there is any texture at all on the surface you won't get any sliding from Rhino Ramps.Can't speak to how well they work on gravel though. Plus they don't have a steep of a ramp as some of the steel ramps I've owned, and the front air dams don't touch them. I can even use them on my Audi without the body work touching them.
The Rhino ramps work great in gravel too. I had my RAM (in 4LO) and I have a Ranger (RWD), and a VW and Mini (FWD). The ramps work great for all of them in the gravel or on the pavement of my driveway.

lazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi5.7
I was at my friends house a few years ago and he was working on his Chevy. His truck was a 3/4 ton with a welder in the back and he had a air bumper jack attached to his rear bumper. He had it high enough so he could sit under his truck and do whatever he was doing. He got out from under his truck to get a part and right after he got out his bumper ripped off and the truck slammed to the ground. No jackstands. he was very lucky.

redvetram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6 3.7
Stock 1500 with 20” rims. I used to DIY oil changes but never had to jack it up for them. But accessing that f…ing oil filter is such a PIA I decided to pay some other poor schmuck to do my oil changes. Worth every penny. For tire changes I use a floor Jack on a point of the axle closest to the tire I’m changing.