Bought a Ford!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I missed the fact that you're comparing modified; but to me it's not really a relevant comparison anymore, either MPG or power, if I'm going to modify my hemi I can super charge it and destroy an EB so there's that.
You're not gonna destroy a modded 3.5 with just a supercharger,lol.My nitrous'd truck runs faster then alot of stock bottem end boosted 5.7's do,( you're only going to put 6 or 7 lbs of boost at a stock pistoned 5.7 semi reliably),and it's getting outrun by a mildly tweaked 3.5.Percentage wise boosted 5.7's with stock pistons and ring gaps are blowing up more often then tuned 3.5's are.If you want to spend a whole bunch of money building a forged 5.7 with good ported heads etc. then you'll outrun a tuned 3.5,but you better hope his buddy with the boosted 5.0 doesn't show up and embarress you,lol.There's also more tuned 3.5's in the 11's then there are tuned 11 sec Rams,lol. 10 years ago Rams were the quick trucks when stock,but time has progressed and that's not so anymore,the other guys have caught up.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I admitted I missed the fact that Wild One was comparing modded vs stock, well before your 2 comments on this issue, so I'm not sure why you're still trying to convince me that I'm arguing the wrong thing.

Nothing I said indicated that you were wrong to want to compare stock to stock, quite the opposite. But you continued the conversation by then presenting another hypothetical of modified vs modified. I then commented on that. Which is called a conversation, which is sort of the point of a forum like this, no? So it seems like now you're just trying to flip it because you're flailing in the conversation on facts.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You're not gonna destroy a modded 3.5 with just a supercharger,lol.My nitrous'd truck runs faster then alot of stock bottem end boosted 5.7's do,( you're only going to put 6 or 7 lbs of boost at a stock pistoned 5.7 semi reliably),and it's getting outrun by a mildly tweaked 3.5.Percentage wise boosted 5.7's with stock pistons and ring gaps are blowing up more often then tuned 3.5's are.If you want to spend a whole bunch of money building a forged 5.7 with good ported heads etc. then you'll outrun a tuned 3.5,but you better hope his buddy with the boosted 5.0 doesn't show up and embarress you,lol.There's also more tuned 3.5's in the 11's then there are tuned 11 sec Rams,lol. 10 years ago Rams were the quick trucks when stock,but time has progressed and that's not so anymore,the other guys have caught up.

Considering the demon is pushing 800+ hp, I wouldn't worry about what's possible. The 5.7 may not reach that high with just a super charger but at the end of the day, there is no replacement for displacement; you will always be able to build more power from a 5.7 than a 3.5 if you get the internals right, and it will sound better doing it.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Nothing I said indicated that you were wrong to want to compare stock to stock, quite the opposite. But you continued the conversation by then presenting another hypothetical of modified vs modified. I then commented on that. Which is called a conversation, which is sort of the point of a forum like this, no? So it seems like now you're just trying to flip it because you're flailing in the conversation on facts.

Yes dear, I"m "flailing and flipping", I'm positively dizzy now with all that excitement.

Can we move on now?

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Considering the demon is pushing 800+ hp, I wouldn't worry about what's possible. The 5.7 may not reach that high with just a super charger but at the end of the day, there is no replacement for displacement; you will always be able to build more power from a 5.7 than a 3.5 if you get the internals right, and it will sound better doing it.

The Demon has a 6.2L with a modified block and upgraded internals. You'd be better off just arguing you could swap a Demon crate motor in for unlimited bucks...

Yes dear, I"m "flailing and flipping", I'm positively dizzy now with all that excitement.

Can we move on now?

Well, it'd be easier if you didn't say stuff like a Demon exists so a 5.7 is more betterer because reasons.

*edit*

Actually, $17k isn't stupid money. DIY TRX?

Last edited:
OP
OP
tidefan1967

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
tailgate and hood yes but not the whole truck. I work with sheet metal everyday i know what aluminum does when in contact with saltwater turns into a battery lol. Hope ford stepped up their paint because your going to need it. also aluminum fractures a lot once dented it can not be repaired like steel. #1 reason i would not own a new ford. they actually had really big issues with it their first roll out aluminum oxide between the paint. there is a reason you never see aluminum boat for sale from the 70s. Rust is repairable if caught in time but aluminum corrosion is far worse than rust to steel. they are still nice trucks but not my cup of Tea my F550 dump bed has had the turbos replaced twice with less than 100k.
Rust and/or corrosion aren’t a problem down South so that thought never crossed my mind. As far as reaching 100K goes I’ve never kept any vehicle longer than four years yet so if I make it to 50K before I trade it and move on that will be a miracle.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rust and/or corrosion aren’t a problem down South so that thought never crossed my mind. As far as reaching 100K goes I’ve never kept any vehicle longer than four years yet so if I make it to 50K before I trade it and move on that will be a miracle.

well sounds like a winner lol. all trucks are nice these days really and all have their ups and downs. i drove a chevy 3500hd for 2 years and still have it wouldnt cross my mind to buy another.

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
.It's a good looking truck,congrats on the purchase,and ignore the naysayers,they aren't making your payments,lol.
He can "ignore the naysayers", but can he ignore the actual Ford mechanics who would choose to avoid it?

Out of 15 interviewed, 10 would choose the 5.0, 3 chose the 2.7, and only 2 chose the 3.5.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Enjoy the new ride Tidefan.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
He can "ignore the naysayers", but can he ignore the actual Ford mechanics who would choose to avoid it?

Out of 15 interviewed, 10 would choose the 5.0, 3 chose the 2.7, and only 2 chose the 3.5.

I watched part of it before getting bored. I didn't see anyone saying the other motors were junk, just they preferred the 5.0 for various reasons. Compare to how many people on this forum complain the hemi is trash because of MDS, hemi tick, and manifold bolts and I'd say if we're listening to the internet only an idiot would buy a hemi powered Ram.

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I watched part of it before getting bored. I didn't see anyone saying the other motors were junk, just they preferred the 5.0 for various reasons.

Correct, no one in the video claimed they were flat out 'JUNK", nor did I.

Any way you want to slice it, 13 of 15 Ford mechanics would not choose the 3.5. The 5.0 is by far their top choice. I would not ignore what the Ford mechanics say.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I gotta say the torque curve on the Ecoboot is pretty impressive. Quite flat from ~1700 - 5000 RPM's. Honestly, I was expecting to see a narrow peak to reach the claimed torque.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Correct, no one in the video claimed they were flat out 'JUNK", nor did I.

Any way you want to slice it, 13 of 15 Ford mechanics would not choose the 3.5. The 5.0 is by far their top choice. I would not ignore what the Ford mechanics say.

Be definition, 'naysayers'are saying a given choice is bad. Similarly, you phrased it as 'choose to avoid it' vs 'would select another option', which isn't the same thing in terms of decision making. I *avoid* pizza with pineapple on it. I *preferentially select* pizza with pepperoni over pizza with sausage. I am a naysayer for pineapple pizza, but if a buffet doesn't have pepperoni I will just take sausage instead.

Do as you will. For me, that's simply one piece of information. What is their selection criteria? In other words, do the mechanics value the same things I do? I don't really care if the 5.0 is easier to work on or that it will make more power than the 3.5EB if you add a supercharger to the Coyote, so those mechanics who chose the 5.0 citing those reasons are irrelevant to me. I similarly don't care about fuel economy, and the cost of the option to upgrade to the 3.5 is negligible to me, so also selection criteria that are valuable to some but not to me. Similarly, they seem to be irrelevant to the OP. Trying to convince him he made the wrong choice based on 'random mechanic polling' accomplishes...what?

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Be definition, 'naysayers'are saying a given choice is bad. Similarly, you phrased it as 'choose to avoid it' vs 'would select another option', which isn't the same thing in terms of decision making. I *avoid* pizza with pineapple on it. I *preferentially select* pizza with pepperoni over pizza with sausage. I am naysayer for pineapple pizza, but if a buffet doesn't have pepperoni I will just take sausage instead.

Do as you will. For me, that's simply one piece of information. What is their selection criteria? In other words, do the mechanics value the same things I do? I don't really care if the 5.0 is easier to work on or that it will make more power than the 3.5EB if you add a supercharger to the Coyote, so those mechanics who chose the 5.0 citing those reasons are irrelevant to me. I similarly don't care about fuel economy, and the cost of the option to upgrade to the 3.5 is negligible to me, so also selection criteria that are valuable to some but not to me. Similarly, they seem to be irrelevant to the OP. Trying to convince him he made the wrong choice based on 'random mechanic polling' accomplishes...what?
You continue to misread. I am not trying to convince anyone of anything. I don't own a Ford, nor am I likely buy one anytime soon. This is an open automotive forum, where people discuss automotive topics. I choose to join the conversation. If someone opens the topic about his truck and engine, then it is OPEN for commentary. That's how it works.

I do value expert opinions from the actual authorities on Ford truck engines. They know far, far more about the 3.5 than some random guys on the internet. You can parse my words all you want but you cannot escape the fact that 13 of 15 Ford mechanics chose either the 5.0 or 2.7 over the 3.5. They have spoken clearly.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You continue to misread. I am not trying to convince anyone of anything. I don't own a Ford, nor am I likely buy one anytime soon. This is an open automotive forum, where people discuss automotive topics. I choose to join the conversation. If someone opens the topic about his truck and engine, then it is OPEN for commentary. That's how it works.

I do value expert opinions from the actual authorities on Ford truck engines. They know far, far more about the 3.5 than some random guys on the internet. You can parse my words all you want but you cannot escape the fact that 13 of 15 Ford mechanics chose either the 5.0 or 2.7 over the 3.5. They have spoken clearly.
i know one ford tech who works at a large ford dealership and he says when you work on them everyday they are all the same. I asked which would he buy and he said whichever color he liked best at the time. He has been a tech there for over 40 years.

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
Well guys I went and bought an F150 yesterday. A friend of mine bought one a couple months ago and I really liked it. As most of you know I sold my Ram to Vroom last year but stayed on the forum just because of the friends I’ve made here and of course the “Synthetic Oil” thread. I’m not as much of an oil junkie as some guys but I still find myself watching tons of oil related videos and reading about it frequently.

Anyway I drove an Ecoboost 3.5 first and then followed it up with a 5.0 truck. I ended buying a used 2020 XLT Sport with the 3.5 Ecoboost and man it’s a beast with 470 Lb/ft of torque. It’s got 8800 miles on it and I’m looking at what oil I want to run in it.
Congrats on the truck. My 2017 3.5 Ecoboost had more towing power than my current 2016 6.4 Hemi (3:73). Those little motors are strong. They not only have more torque than the 6.4 Hemi but it comes at a much lower RPM band (2500 in the ecoboost vs 4100 in the hemi). I had some problems with mine and wanted something that would handle a 34' travel trailer or I would still have my F150.

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
i know one ford tech who works at a large ford dealership and he says when you work on them everyday they are all the same. I asked which would he buy and he said whichever color he liked best at the time. He has been a tech there for over 40 years.
13 of 15 would choose something other than the 3.5.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

I'm reading you fine, and we are discussing on a discussion board. I get that.

My point is that 'expert opinion' only matters if the experts are using the same selection criteria you are, if they don't value the same things you do then their opinions are not applicable to your decision. I've worked as an industry consultant/alpha tester in an unrelated industry and am quite aware of the mismatch between customer preference, manufacturer preference, retailer preferences, etc. I'm pretty well versed in marketing, decision making and hueristics, and behavioral economics. As a result, I don't draw the same conclusion you do from the video because it's shallow and you're reading into a lot of things that aren't actually present.

"He can "ignore the naysayers", but can he ignore the actual Ford mechanics who would choose to avoid it?" is not an an attempt to convince anyone of anything? I don't think the communication difficulty is on my end.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca