Bought a Ford!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It has the 3.5 Ecoboost so no oil consumption problems to worry about. I did test drive a 5.0 truck but it seemed pretty slow compared to the 3.5.
Someone interviewed actual Ford mechanics, and asked them what engine they would choose for themselves. Out of 15 interviewed, 10 would choose the 5.0, 3 chose the 2.7, and only 2 chose the 3.5.

Good luck with your truck.

Last edited:

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Congrats! That is a very nice truck.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I love the 5.0 and the 3.5 and have buddies that have both. The 5.0 sounds so nice when you put a cat back on and gets great mpg. the 3.5 goes like stink and gets even better mpg,but does not sound as nice. I have owned a lot of ford pickups dating all the way back to 1977 and never had a single issue with any of them.

DocEagle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0 Liter
Sounds like a decent truck. I drive a 2016 F150 with 5.0 at work and love the acceleration and throaty roar. I can usually get to scene way before my fire apparatus. Corrosion used to be an issue but the aluminum body seems to be holding up well in our salty environment. Have fun and enjoy your new truck!

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
A friend has the 5.0 with no complaints over the years. Heard nothing but horror stories about the little V6 with twin turbos, but maybe they've improved? Good luck.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A buddy of mine has owned a couple of F150 Ecoboosts and swears by them. He drives it for a living and racked up close to 200,000 miles on his 2011 3.5 Eco with no issues other than regular maintenance. Now he has a 2018 2.7 Eco.

My sister has a 2018 2.7 and loves it too.

I almost bought one myself in 2017 but decided on my Ram instead.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Well guys I went and bought an F150 yesterday. A friend of mine bought one a couple months ago and I really liked it. As most of you know I sold my Ram to Vroom last year but stayed on the forum just because of the friends I’ve made here and of course the “Synthetic Oil” thread. I’m not as much of an oil junkie as some guys but I still find myself watching tons of oil related videos and reading about it frequently.

Anyway I drove an Ecoboost 3.5 first and then followed it up with a 5.0 truck. I ended buying a used 2020 XLT Sport with the 3.5 Ecoboost and man it’s a beast with 470 Lb/ft of torque. It’s got 8800 miles on it and I’m looking at what oil I want to run in it.
Throw a tune on it,and it'll really be impressive.My full bolt on/cammed and nitrous'd regular cab Ram doesn't stand a chance against my buddies tuned /downpiped 3.5 eco boost,plus he gets way better gas milege,lol.It's a good looking truck,congrats on the purchase,and ignore the naysayers,they aren't making your payments,lol.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Throw a tune on it,and it'll really be impressive.My full bolt on/cammed and nitrous'd regular cab Ram doesn't stand a chance against my buddies tuned /downpiped 3.5 eco boost,plus he gets way better gas milege,lol.It's a good looking truck,congrats on the purchase,and ignore the naysayers,they aren't making your payments,lol.

Unless I'm looking at the wrong engine from Ford, real world reports from drivers on Fuelly is suggesting that the 3.5 is no better/worse on MPG than the hemi:

Ford 3.5 = 16 avg
https://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/f-150?engineconfig_id=102&bodytype_id=&submodel_id=

Ram 5.7 = 16 avg
https://www.fuelly.com/car/ram/1500?engineconfig_id=19&bodytype_id=&submodel_id=

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Unless I'm looking at the wrong engine from Ford, real world reports from drivers on Fuelly is suggesting that the 3.5 is no better/worse on MPG than the hemi:

Ford 3.5 = 16 avg
https://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/f-150?engineconfig_id=102&bodytype_id=&submodel_id=

Ram 5.7 = 16 avg
https://www.fuelly.com/car/ram/1500?engineconfig_id=19&bodytype_id=&submodel_id=
That doesn't really apply to a modified truck in the real world,lol. I'm guessing you missed the fact my little 4X4 has just a few mods,one of them isn't being a milege tune,lol On the same trip,he'll pull down at least 3mpg better then my truck will,and easily run a full 1/2 second quicker at the local track.There's nothing wrong with the little 3.5 as far as power goes,especially once they're tuned.The little 3.5 becomes a monster compared to a tuned 5.7,if all both trucks have is a tune.Not saying i'm a fan of them,but i also don't discredit the little engine either,plus his 4 door Ford weighes less then my regular cab Ram does,lol

OP
OP
tidefan1967

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
YEAH, the 5.0 Coyote Motors are a lot slower than the 3.5 EB's. My wife's 5.4 Triton was a quick sucker, give the 3.5 a run for it's money, but it was a 4 X 4 truck so most of the 3.5's had a weight advantage. But, I do not race trucks, why, LOL. Enjoy yer new ride and be

Ford 3.5 = 16 avg

Ram 5.7 = 16 avg
granted I only drove it home from the dealer and back and forth to work a few times and I was sitting on 19.5 mpg by the EVIC but honestly I bought it mostly because it was fun to drive and 470 lb/ft of torque at 3500 RPM is a blast. Fuel economy wasn’t on my radar. It will serve my purpose as a sports car with a bed quite nicely. I could never go back to driving a car on a regular basis and really didn’t want to do three vehicles again.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That doesn't really apply to a modified truck in the real world,lol. I'm guessing you missed the fact my little 4X4 has just a few mods,one of them isn't being a milege tune,lol On the same trip,he'll pull down at least 3mpg better then my truck will,and easily run a full 1/2 second quicker at the local track.There's nothing wrong with the little 3.5 as far as power goes,especially once they're tuned.The little 3.5 becomes a monster compared to a tuned 5.7,if all both trucks have is a tune.Not saying i'm a fan of them,but i also don't discredit the little engine either,plus his 4 door Ford weighes less then my regular cab Ram does,lol

I missed the fact that you're comparing modified; but to me it's not really a relevant comparison anymore, either MPG or power, if I'm going to modify my hemi I can super charge it and destroy an EB so there's that.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I missed the fact that you're comparing modified; but to me it's not really a relevant comparison anymore, either MPG or power, if I'm going to modify my hemi I can super charge it and destroy an EB so there's that.

There's always something faster if you throw enough money at it. Downpipes and a tune are maybe $2k. You aren't going to touch adding forced induction to a hemi for anything close to that.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
There's always something faster if you throw enough money at it. Downpipes and a tune are maybe $2k. You aren't going to touch adding forced induction to a hemi for anything close to that.

Exactly, so that's why modified vs stock is not how I look at things. I was just comparing stock hemi vs stock EB; the EB is faster yes, but apparently it doesn't get any better MPG.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ford be like welcome aboard I'll open the tail gate for you!

Attachments

• IMG_5228.jpg
    IMG_5228.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5227.jpg
    IMG_5227.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 11

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Exactly, so that's why modified vs stock is not how I look at things. I was just comparing stock hemi vs stock EB; the EB is faster yes, but apparently it doesn't get any better MPG.

Which is fine, but not the conversation you entered in to. People who hot rod stuff routinely compare stock vs stock, full bolt on vs full bolt on, FI vs FI, etc. to see how easy/cheap more hp is out of given motors. How a motor responds to minor and major mods is of interest to those folks and *that* was the conversation you entered in to.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your new body style Ram also has an aluminum tailgate so I guess back at you! Lol

tailgate and hood yes but not the whole truck. I work with sheet metal everyday i know what aluminum does when in contact with saltwater turns into a battery lol. Hope ford stepped up their paint because your going to need it. also aluminum fractures a lot once dented it can not be repaired like steel. #1 reason i would not own a new ford. they actually had really big issues with it their first roll out aluminum oxide between the paint. there is a reason you never see aluminum boat for sale from the 70s. Rust is repairable if caught in time but aluminum corrosion is far worse than rust to steel. they are still nice trucks but not my cup of Tea my F550 dump bed has had the turbos replaced twice with less than 100k.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Which is fine, but not the conversation you entered in to. People who hot rod stuff routinely compare stock vs stock, full bolt on vs full bolt on, FI vs FI, etc. to see how easy/cheap more hp is out of given motors. How a motor responds to minor and major mods is of interest to those folks and *that* was the conversation you entered in to.

I admitted I missed the fact that Wild One was comparing modded vs stock, well before your 2 comments on this issue, so I'm not sure why you're still trying to convince me that I'm arguing the wrong thing.