Bought used tires with tpms...not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajlalhaider13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie, it came with OE tpms sensors on it's original rims and they work perfectly. I bought used Warlock tires and rims off of FB marketplace. They are supposedly from a 2017 or newer RAM 1500 truck. They do have TPMS sensors installed on them, however, I have driven hundreds of KMs at this point and cannot seem to get these to work with my truck. I have a MaxiTPMS TS508 tool that I have scanned them with a few times and have tried to OBD learn them as well. The tools seems to be able to program ECU with the Hex IDs of these sensors in warlock set but the truck cannot still read any tpms data and throws the tmps warning. I am not sure what to do at this point? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brian2081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think it has something to do with the frequency that the newer tps is set to. I believe the older trucks are not and can not be programed to read the newer freq's.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I have a 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie, it came with OE tpms sensors on it's original rims and they work perfectly. I bought used Warlock tires and rims off of FB marketplace. They are supposedly from a 2017 or newer RAM 1500 truck. They do have TPMS sensors installed on them, however, I have driven hundreds of KMs at this point and cannot seem to get these to work with my truck. I have a MaxiTPMS TS508 tool that I have scanned them with a few times and have tried to OBD learn them as well. The tools seems to be able to program ECU with the Hex IDs of these sensors in warlock set but the truck cannot still read any tpms data and throws the tmps warning. I am not sure what to do at this point? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Best thing to do is see if you can remove one tpms sensor from your OE wheels and one from the new wheels you got, the TPMS sensors will have the frequency on them ....

But you should be ok with the 433 because up until 2011 they used the 315

Midknight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I think in 2014 the sensors were changed. Possibly a protocol not necessarily the frequency. I know I’ve had problems with tire shops and had to have the dealer swap to OEM sensors. Also, these usually go by build date and not model year so be careful. In other words an early 2014 was built in 2013 which can impact this.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yep. Somewhere around 2014-15 they went with a different sensor. Provided you have the right OEM sensors, no programming is required. The vehicle will sync itself up with them.

OP
OP
A

ajlalhaider13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So here is what I have been able to do so far. I got myself the Autel MaxiTPMS TS508 tool and scanned the sensors that came with the truck as well as the ones that came with the Warlock tires I bought (Supposedly from a 2020 Ram 1500 classic). Here is what I found. In the TPMS scan tool, there were different listings under RAM->1500 for different models. Both types of sensors are Schrader and 433Mhz. However, my original ones get scanned only under the 2010-2013 listing. Whereas, the Warlock sensors get scanned by any profile from 2014 to 2020. No matter what I do I am not able to get the ECU to talk to the newer sensors. I've even tried programming their (warlock sensors) Hex IDs manually using alfaobd.
So the theory of protocol change in 2014 makes sense and is probably the reason for non-communication.
Not sure what else could be done at this point except for replacing sensors :(

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2013 was a transition year, especially electronically. Some stuff was carried over, but a lot was not. Tpms sensors are one of those things that were. Gets even trickier with the instrument cluster.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
I’ve never dealt with this problem but here’s a link to see if you’re on the right track.

TPMS OE PART NUMBERS

68324960AB 2014 & newer

1AMTP3350A 2013 & older

Last edited:

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Shrader makes the exact fit TPMS sensors to fit these trucks, no scan tool needed, simply install the sensors and take it for a drive and your system should see them and show your tire pressures. I did this on my 2010 1500 and will be doing it again on my 2018 2500, both Laramie's. Good luck.

paul10053

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put 2020 Ram 2500 Wheels on my 2013Ram 2500. I successfully updated the ECU to change wheel circumference to correct speedometer function (new wheels are bigger). I read the new wheel sensor ID's but when I tried to put them in the tire pressure control module (using OBDLink MX+ and AlfaOBD) it refuses to accept them (it wants digit/letter ID's and the new wheels ID's are 8 digit/letters).
Is there way to update my 2013 tire control module to a 2020 type (by changing software – not hardware)? Or is there some other way to get the newer sensors to work with the older truck ECU or do I have to buy and mount 2013 type sensors?

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I put 2020 Ram 2500 Wheels on my 2013Ram 2500. I successfully updated the ECU to change wheel circumference to correct speedometer function (new wheels are bigger). I read the new wheel sensor ID's but when I tried to put them in the tire pressure control module (using OBDLink MX+ and AlfaOBD) it refuses to accept them (it wants digit/letter ID's and the new wheels ID's are 8 digit/letters).
Is there way to update my 2013 tire control module to a 2020 type (by changing software – not hardware)? Or is there some other way to get the newer sensors to work with the older truck ECU or do I have to buy and mount 2013 type sensors?
I believe 2013 uses the older sensor, so you'd have to physically change the sensor out. 2014+ is the newer style.