Brake Controller Flash Question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sicivics

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Installed a factory brake controller and finally had the dealer flash my EVIC. How do I know if they flashed it correctly? I do see it on the EVIC but it only lets me select light trailer. (I have a 1500 crew cab with the 5.7 hemi)

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Sorry I am no help on this as I never flashed mine since 09 sounded like an insane process.

$miley

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not trying to be a smartass. Just asking if you are planning to tow a triple axle trailer with a 1500?

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Not trying to be a smartass. Just asking if you are planning to tow a triple axle trailer with a 1500?
Not sure about original poster but I not sure if it could handle it although I might try just because. I have 30lbs in the airlift and still sags I think with a weight distribution hitch it would work but be hard on it.
8ezada6y.jpg

$miley

EdmontonRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Sport (DT)
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What do you mean hard on it? I am planning on hauling our 30' double axle camper. With bags and a distribution hitch. I should be ok I would think ? No ??

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
What do you mean hard on it? I am planning on hauling our 30' double axle camper. With bags and a distribution hitch. I should be ok I would think ? No ??

I mean you don't want to be towing at top end of capability all the time it is really hard on it. Ideally you have a rig that can tow at 75% or less so it is much easier on it. I have towed a lot with mine but never been in that 10k area for long if at all. This is just my thoughts on not killing the truck.

$miley

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Heavy electric is for brakes on a three axle trailer. If you are towing a two axle.trailer then light electric is what you need.

EdmontonRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Sport (DT)
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I mean you don't want to be towing at top end of capability all the time it is really hard on it. Ideally you have a rig that can tow at 75% or less so it is much easier on it. I have towed a lot with mine but never been in that 10k area for long if at all. This is just my thoughts on not killing the truck.

$miley

Totaly hear you on this one.. Love my ram and I really don't want to destroy it. Hell you can pull anything you want if you want to. It's just how long until something pops. I will be under 80% when fully loaded.

I just hate when a truck sags or squats in the rear, so bags and a distribution hitch are planned. As well as the brake controller install. Dealer told me $75 (CDN) to program the controller once I have it installed. Not bad I figured since I paid $180 for the controller and $75 to program. Total $255. I was quoted $615 at the dealer for them to do it.

OP
OP
sicivics

sicivics

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for answering my question h2oman. I just wanted to make sure all 1500's are set up this way.

kenwitter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Little disagreement

Heavy electric is for brakes on a three axle trailer. If you are towing a two axle.trailer then light electric is what you need.

Slight disagreement with you here h20man. I'm having this issue with my ITBC and it's really annoying. Take a look at my thread http://www.ramforum.com/f119/heavy_electric_setting_2013_1500_a-36579/ More background there.

Heavy Electric is what you SHOULD use on Triaxles. Light Electric is for single axles and light tandems or tandems with brakes on only one axle. To get the most efficient braking config (ie balanced braking where there is minimum extra effort on the truck brakes) I always used heavy electric with a low gain setting on my tandems.

The long and short of it is this IS a documented feature of the ITBC for the 1500s and we should be able to select it.

Side note: Not too sure of the etiquette here. If I'm wrong by mentioning my problem (and venting my frustrations) in sicivics thread, let me know.

Thanks

Ken