Brake cost 4/21/23

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
That kit will work fine for stock like performance. I don't recommend anything drilled on the street but that's just me. Your $300 range for 4 rotors with geocoating and ceramic pads is a good price. I did the powerstop Z16 on our spare CRV and they are very nice and work good for that car... think I paid $280 or something out the door on those 3 months ago.

I did wagner premium e coated rotors and Performance Friction Metallics on my 18 as the stock brakes were squealing like pigs at 40k miles. PFC's got noisey pretty quickly and off they came, went with EBC Yellows (they were on discount) and they were fine for about 8k miles and then started to get noisy on light brake pedal only. I just pulled them this sat and went with the Wagner OEX and today was my first drive into work with them and they are quiet so far. EBC's dusted like crazy and had good stopping and initial bite. I won't know about the OEX for a while till they are bedded but first impressions they are fine so far. OEX pads did seem thinner like less pad material than my worn EBC's already with 8k on them so I'm not sure about longevity/miles wise. Price was great on the OEX and I paid like $90 for all 4 corners on amazon which had the best pricing. I used to be a fan of wagner thermo quiets back in the day when there were much less options.

If I remember correctly I was in about $300-$330 for all the rotors and PFC pads on my first go. If you recreated that with the wagner rotors and OEX pads it would have been cheaper.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
the Bendix "Fleet MetLok" Severe Duty pads and rotors are being used on a lot of the big P.D. vehicles (Tahoe & F150). pretty sure they work hard all day!
these pads are excellent as far as stopping power goes. probably one of the better pads ive used in that department. horrendous when it comes to brake dust though. i've been running Raybestos Element 3 brake pads on a few of my vehicles. they seem to stop great, little to no dust and and very reasonably priced. Centric is my go to for rotors. i buy the coated rotors since they seem to last longer with winters around here.

stenerson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 VVT
I used wagner oex with the coated rotors. No problems. I'm now using Napa ultra premium polymer coated rotors and brakes (adaptive one). No issues with either. Living in the rust belt I would no longer use non-coated rotors. If you order online for store pickup make sure you check for online discount coupons. I did that on an impulse before pressing the buy button and found a coupon that gave me 53 bucks off.

Last edited:

RamRider60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hopefully someone can chime in.Is this a decent price or choice?View attachment 519625
A little under a year ago, a Dodge Dealership near me quoted this to replace all four rotors and brake pads for my 2013 Ram 1500 truck. The total cost was $1367.34 for that. I ended up having the front rotors re-cut for s$20. Front and Rear Brake Pads were $90. New Back Rotors were $78 a piece. Roughly $260.00 for everything and did the brakes myself with the help of a mechanic friend. Not a bad savings there......

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
Got the rears done this weekend, they were definitely due. So far I like the Wagner OEX pads, they grab well and are quiet. We'll see how they last. The front will get the same combo soon.

IMG_6615.JPG

Gonna have to do a complete parking brake job as well. Wanted to wait to inspect, should've just gone ahead and gotten everything :rolleyes: I think from Napa it's around $220 to do new LH/RH cables, intermediate cable, hardware, their cheaper shoes, and the levers.

IMG_6614.JPG
IMG_6613.JPG

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hopefully someone can chime in.Is this a decent price or choice?View attachment 519625
I have to do brakes on my 2019 1500 classic With 5.7 in it as well i just priced out a set of 4 cross drilled and slotted rotor and ceramic pads $577.17 CAD Tax in!
you get what you pay for ! I like to push the skinny peddle and go sometimes and I like to stop all the time ! I also tow a TT in the summer

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Got the rears done this weekend, they were definitely due. So far I like the Wagner OEX pads, they grab well and are quiet. We'll see how they last. The front will get the same combo soon.

View attachment 519864

Gonna have to do a complete parking brake job as well. Wanted to wait to inspect, should've just gone ahead and gotten everything :rolleyes: I think from Napa it's around $220 to do new LH/RH cables, intermediate cable, hardware, their cheaper shoes, and the levers.

View attachment 519865
View attachment 519866
yup i prob have to do mine to and I hate doing the parking brake shoes on these ! a real pain in the Butt!

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just purchased a full set of brakes for my truck as I'm getting squeaking in the front and the rear pads are looking worn. I ordered Wagner OEX pads and the Heavy Duty Bendix rotors that are fully coated. Including shipping from rock auto I'm about $380 total.

What kind of mileage are you guys seeing for your parking brakes to look like that? Do these trucks keep some pressure on the drums all the time? That looks like a pain and like something I shouldn't need to worry about at 50k miles.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
I just purchased a full set of brakes for my truck as I'm getting squeaking in the front and the rear pads are looking worn. I ordered Wagner OEX pads and the Heavy Duty Bendix rotors that are fully coated. Including shipping from rock auto I'm about $380 total.

What kind of mileage are you guys seeing for your parking brakes to look like that? Do these trucks keep some pressure on the drums all the time? That looks like a pain and like something I shouldn't need to worry about at 50k miles.
It's a bad design from the factory. Do a YouTube search about replacing the parking brakes on these trucks and you'll see. The cables pull a lever that goes through the backing plate and actuates the shoes. That lever gets corroded and hangs up. You'll set the parking brake one day and it'll seize, you release it and *most* people wouldn't catch that there's an issue and it just gets driven with the parking brake on till you burn up the shoes.

Jsicamore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
I had the Z36 Powerstop kit on my 2015 ram 1500 and I don’t tow. I had them for 60K miles. They started squeaking at 50k. The braking was fine but when I changed them the rotors were well grooved and pads had worn unevenly (probably not enough lubricant on caliper pins on my part). I don’t have an issue with them but the OEM made it to 90k. So that’s the only reference I have. For the price they’re cheap and they do the job but I wouldn’t expect exceptional performance from a budget brake set.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It's a bad design from the factory. Do a YouTube search about replacing the parking brakes on these trucks and you'll see. The cables pull a lever that goes through the backing plate and actuates the shoes. That lever gets corroded and hangs up. You'll set the parking brake one day and it'll seize, you release it and *most* people wouldn't catch that there's an issue and it just gets driven with the parking brake on till you burn up the shoes.
That sucks about the parking brake design. I use mine regularly as my other car is a manual so it is just habit. Hoping that will keep it working for longer. Hopefully mine are still in good shape and I can shoot a little grease on it and wait until the next pad/rotor change to deal with it.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Some people ride their brakes without even realizing it. You can see it every time you go down some big hills. They are the first ones to warp their rotors. Lean to stab your brakes. Use gearing to control your speed. My last set of stock rotors on a one ton Ford went 145k miles.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have PowerStop Z23 on all 4 of our vehicles, including my Ram, my Beetle, hub's Lincoln and his dually.
Many miles later still no dust, no noise, no fade, no problems at all. I do lube all slide pins at least once a year with silicone paste. My Ram hits the track once in a while and the Beetle does delivery so lots of stop and go traffic and brake slams when idiots pull out in front of me. I highly recommend them but you must do the break in procedure. My buddy didn't and has some vibration.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had R1 Concepts slotted/drilled rotors/ceramic pads for 4 years and they were very good. Better than oem for sure. I went ahead and installed Hart Black series a few months ago. Pleased so far.
Both were more expensive than the OP’s, but perform excellent.
1682637614559.jpeg

Heathen-19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What is everyone’s/popular lubricant for the caliper bolts/slider pins??