Brake line replacement writeups?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charles.rogers1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Trucks a 98 1500

I blew out the line running down the frame going into the flexline, and am going to replace all the hard lines that look corroded. The issue is finding out fitting size and flare styles... I've read some places that our trucks use both Bubble and Inverted (why couldn't we just pick a single style -.-) and also that we use

-M10x1.0
-M11x1.5
-M12x1.0

But I cant find any real pointers of where each flare style and fitting size are used. So I'm looking for anyone that has info on where I can find a write-up or someone that has some more thorough info :)

Thanks!!

jessie_m

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just ran down a rabbit hole on my 97 1500 5.9L 4x4 with brakes and lines very recently. Blew the brake line feeding the pass side rear, then the driver side rear, then the front line from driver to pass, then the front driver caliper line. When they blew, i just pulled the line and went to Autozone. They have this copper, finger bend it yourself on the cheap with various sizes, lengths and connectors. Also replaced rear cylinders, shoes and hardware before getting solid pedal following bleed. Depending on the extent needing replaced, might just consider get a full line kit. Good luck

OP
OP
Charles.rogers1

Charles.rogers1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just ran down a rabbit hole on my 97 1500 5.9L 4x4 with brakes and lines very recently. Blew the brake line feeding the pass side rear, then the driver side rear, then the front line from driver to pass, then the front driver caliper line. When they blew, i just pulled the line and went to Autozone. They have this copper, finger bend it yourself on the cheap with various sizes, lengths and connectors. Also replaced rear cylinders, shoes and hardware before getting solid pedal following bleed. Depending on the extent needing replaced, might just consider get a full line kit. Good luck

Yea I have a 25' roll of copper line but I cant for the life of me find a fitting that actually threads into the distribution block by the DF wheel on the frame to the flexline attaching to the rear axle

IndyDon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
man I know some of your pain on some of the older vehicles I owned. If worse comes to worse pull the block off the truck and go to a parts store to find what threads in. I had a 70 chevy panel truck and I broke that block by trying to break a fitting loose. well, no one can even get the block. I was just glad a salvage yard had an old GMC. If you are lucky to have a place nearby that makes custom hydraulic lines, they may have the right size fitting.

SteadyEddie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
I read this a little late but if you still need lines, then absolutely replace all of them. When 1 goes another is not far behind. I ordered a complete stainless steel hardline kit for my 1997 that was about $100 bucks. All the lines are pre-bent and come with all the correct ends. Major timesaver. My only grip is that the end fittings are steel so they have begun to rust already. But you may be able to upgrade to SS fittings, not sure. Otherwise, hose the end fittings down with some rattle can paint. Good luck.