Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Len80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought a new 1500 Limited w 40 miles a few weeks ago coming from a Durango. I’m currently at 800 miles. Love the truck! Its loaded inside and has the Hemi & Air suspension. So over the holidays I have a few relatives that own pick ups, and of course I’m getting all kinds of different opinions and advice on what to do to make it run its best, raise mpg & add a few horses for extra pick up.

My Uncle on his 3rd Ram says at the least just to get a K&N filter & Tornado, change oil to Mobile 1 w Mobile 1 Filter @2,000mi (about 1 month) and get MOA additive in oil & trans..

I did some research since then, and I can’t get a solid answer specific to the Ram. Guys are saying the oiled air filter messes up the sensors. I’m not sure if I should just do a nice intake etc..but I’d hate to void the warranty w some mod or do anything that could mess the truck up long term because I plan to keep it for a long time... but it would be nice to max its potential all the way around. I’m not racing or anything crazy, I just want a nice clean & fast truck thats going to last...a few of my buddies w trucks have the f150 eco twin turbo.

Any advice on air filters, intake, best oil, best pratctices etc..I know its a few questions in one but I know this is the right place for RAM owners to get solid answers...

Thanks in advance

Cmsharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a k&n drop in filter. Didnt notice any difference in performance, just bought it to save money over time with throw away filters. I had one in my old pickup for 9 years and never had a problem. I think alot of people having problems with maf sensors are probably over oiling them. I like mobil one just because its cheap and works fine for my hemi. As far as performance you may want to check out the pedal commander, makes the pickup a blast to drive. But if you want to actually increase horsepower and performance you can get a tuner. Way too expensive for me though. These motors dont need much help imo. Congrats on the pickup!

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
B&D Diesel makes something similar to the pedal commander called the throttle sensitivity booster.
It’s not as fancy as the pedal, but the diesel guys buy them & then sell them when they delete, do you can pick up a used one for 1/2 price.

Skip the oiled air filters.

OP
OP
Len80

Len80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a k&n drop in filter. Didnt notice any difference in performance, just bought it to save money over time with throw away filters. I had one in my old pickup for 9 years and never had a problem. I think alot of people having problems with maf sensors are probably over oiling them. I like mobil one just because its cheap and works fine for my hemi. As far as performance you may want to check out the pedal commander, makes the pickup a blast to drive. But if you want to actually increase horsepower and performance you can get a tuner. Way too expensive for me though. These motors dont need much help imo. Congrats on the pickup!

Thanks Cmsharp!! The Pedal Commander is exactly the type of thing I was looking for, you absolutely nailed it for me. No void on warranty, increased pep, easy to install. Now I’ve been watching you tube vids for the last hour on this. Getting ready to order one now!

OP
OP
Len80

Len80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
B&D Diesel makes something similar to the pedal commander called the throttle sensitivity booster.
It’s not as fancy as the pedal, but the diesel guys buy them & then sell them when they delete, do you can pick up a used one for 1/2 price.

Skip the oiled air filters.

Why do you say to skip the oiled filters Dodgedude? Is there a better dry option out there? If the ONLY benefit to an K & N drop in filter is that it doesn’t have to be replaced (but it does require re oiling) I’d be inclined to skip it for something that I wouldn’t have to maintenance. I think I’d be worried about over oiling myself and messing up my sensors.

dirter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Super chips sells a dry filter CAI for a reasonable price. Friend of mine put an oiled filter on his 04 and it did gum up the mass air sensor. A little carb cleaner fixes it up. If you don't go nuts with the spray and allow the time for it to set up a little there is generally no problem.
Given all that, I do love my commander. Really wakes it up.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Surprisingly enough the stock intake is a good system. You can buy a drop in or any number of other CAI systems however I think for your application all you will be doing is spending money for something that looks good and sounds good. The Pedal Commander would be a good investment for you. Moe's Performance(a preferred vendor on this forum) can help you with that. I also would consider a Catch can. You can read thread after thread about those, but I think they are a good investment for the 5.7 Hemi. There is a lengthy thread on motor oil for our Hemi's as well as a lengthy thread on oil filters. People will have lots and lots of suggestions for you----basically cause we love to help people send their money on their truck. Good luck
Jay

Jeff CA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are better synthetic oils out there than Mobil 1. It had its day, but has been lapped by Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple, and Pennzoil *Ultra* Platinum, the latter being factory fill in SRT vehicles.

The OEM air intake system is a cold air intake. Just installing a new CAI in and of itself won't net you HP. A tune will. Lots of members have recently been flocking to the Pedal Commander with favorable reviews. No gain in power, but improved responsiveness.

Search on the "Best Mods for Under $100" thread. It will give you lots of ideas. Here's to hoping the mod bug bites!

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
If you don't want to void your warranty don't use mobile one. It's good for the older hemi. I believe it was the factory fill on my 06. I'm sure it's just fine oil but it doesn't meet Chrysler specification. That's the only reason I ran Pennzoil plat. Until that warranty is up keep all your records just in case and make sure it's all up to the right standards. Btw congratulations on the new truck.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My Uncle on his 3rd Ram says at the least just to get a K&N filter & Tornado, change oil to Mobile 1 w Mobile 1 Filter @2,000mi (about 1 month) and get MOA additive in oil & trans..

I did some research since then, and I can’t get a solid answer specific to the Ram. Guys

Depends on how long you are going to keep the truck. If you are a typical 5 year 100,000 mile guy it doesn't make much difference, but K&Ns flow better because they don't filter well which is hard on valves and rings. I would only run a good dry filter, but as others say, its not going to help performance.

There is much difference of opinion on the pedal commander, many fan boys say its a miracle device. Their sales guys have a wide presence in these forums. There are those that you don't hear much from that saw little or no improvement and eventually got a code. Then there are those like my case who have trouble driving smoothly because of the instant throttle response from the factory. We could use a commander to slow down the throttle. Just saying there seems to be a wide variety of production variances and if you got a dog from the factory, the commander may help some.

The new RAM V8s come with penzoil semisynthetic from the factory. Its a good oil. If you are racing and towing heavy on a routine basis, you may want to switch to full synthetic. But now that they have eliminated sulfur and other contaminants from semisynthetic, there is no need to go full synthetic for the typical use. Old wives tales die hard, however. Change oil by the book, any more frequent changes is throwing money down the drain and opening you up to a screw up risk.

sportcoupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Rebel Mojave Sand
Engine
As hemiexpress said, if you want to keep your warranty, don't use Mobile 1. It wasn't tested to meet the MS-6395 spec as required by Chrysler.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I just bought a new 1500 Limited w 40 miles a few weeks ago coming from a Durango. I’m currently at 800 miles. Love the truck! Its loaded inside and has the Hemi & Air suspension. So over the holidays I have a few relatives that own pick ups, and of course I’m getting all kinds of different opinions and advice on what to do to make it run its best, raise mpg & add a few horses for extra pick up.

I did some research since then, and I can’t get a solid answer specific to the Ram. Guys are saying the oiled air filter messes up the sensors. I’m not sure if I should just do a nice intake etc..but I’d hate to void the warranty w some mod or do anything that could mess the truck up long term because I plan to keep it for a long time... but it would be nice to max its potential all the way around. I’m not racing or anything crazy, I just want a nice clean & fast truck thats going to last...a few of my buddies w trucks have the f150 eco twin turbo.

Any advice on air filters, intake, best oil, best pratctices etc..I know its a few questions in one but I know this is the right place for RAM owners to get solid answers...

Thanks in advance
If you want to get a reusable filter get a AEM Dryflow filter no oiling to mess with.

Never add anything to the transmission it is a great way to destroy it.

Fergusontd

FTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've used K&N for years without any problem. Also I use a non synthetic Mobile 5w-20w in all my cars, also will use it in my new '17 Ram 5.7L hemi I change oil every 5k+ miles.

OP
OP
Len80

Len80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you want to get a reusable filter get a AEM Dryflow filter no oiling to mess with.

Never add anything to the transmission it is a great way to destroy it.

Thanks Smiley. I just got my AEM Dryflow in the mail yesterday. My pedal commander is on its way, I can't wait to hook it up. Are you familiar with that? I only have 1k miles, was wondering if using Pedal Commander on sport mode would do anything to a new Hemi engine. Is there a true break in period? There is a wide range of opinions I am seeing on "break in period" w the Hemi on the forum.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Based my oil results... Mobile 1 Synthentic did better than PUP. Don't know much about oil but the PUP was much darker after 10k.

To OP: Do Vararam if you want performance intake.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Depends on how long you are going to keep the truck. If you are a typical 5 year 100,000 mile guy it doesn't make much difference, but K&Ns flow better because they don't filter well which is hard on valves and rings. I would only run a good dry filter, but as others say, its not going to help performance.

There is much difference of opinion on the pedal commander, many fan boys say its a miracle device. Their sales guys have a wide presence in these forums. There are those that you don't hear much from that saw little or no improvement and eventually got a code. Then there are those like my case who have trouble driving smoothly because of the instant throttle response from the factory. We could use a commander to slow down the throttle. Just saying there seems to be a wide variety of production variances and if you got a dog from the factory, the commander may help some.

The new RAM V8s come with penzoil semisynthetic from the factory. Its a good oil. If you are racing and towing heavy on a routine basis, you may want to switch to full synthetic. But now that they have eliminated sulfur and other contaminants from semisynthetic, there is no need to go full synthetic for the typical use. Old wives tales die hard, however. Change oil by the book, any more frequent changes is throwing money down the drain and opening you up to a screw up risk.

I don't sell pedal commander, am not a rep, nor have any ties to other than its the best mod I've done. Love it.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't sell pedal commander, am not a rep, nor have any ties to other than its the best mod I've done. Love it.
Good for you, just saying it works great for many but not for most. Seems like most newer trucks come from the factory with better throttle response. If anything I'd want to damper mine down a bit. Seems like the rigs that run well out of the box also don't see much benefit.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Good for you, just saying it works great for many but not for most. Seems like most newer trucks come from the factory with better throttle response. If anything I'd want to damper mine down a bit. Seems like the rigs that run well out of the box also don't see much benefit.

First I heard the newer rigs wouldn't see much benefit, but then I do have a 2010 and LOVE my PC.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I added a magnaflow muffler and the sound is just right. Mellow, throaty and great under heavy throttle.

For a cai, I went with Volant and the Donaldson power core dry filter. Researching the power core, it’s used by lots of folks for superior filtration especially in the trucking industry.

Neither mod gave me appreciable performance or mpg increases. They generally don’t. The ads show a hp increase but looking at the charts they provide is pretty dismal.

Hp increases of 15-30 hp doesn’t occur until about 4000 rpm or higher. I don’t generally drive on that range. I’m at 1600 rpm at 70 mph.

So, it it a total waste of money? Not totally. I like the sound and the looks under the hood and I’m out $600. Only in America!!