Brand new ram and 2 awful different sounds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rick Wilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys I just bought a 2018 ram blackout express and from day 1 when I start the truck and shift into drive the rear brakes I assume but possibly the rearend makes an awful sound screeching metal on metal, now today with 3000km on it and less than a month old when I fired it up there was a god awful noise for about 8 seconds from the engine bay like the truck had absolutely no oil in it. "im not mechanically inclined at all but it literally sounded like 50 pieces of metal beating and scraping off each other"
So far I would have to say that this truck is absolute garbage guess im to used to driving a 2009 toyota that hasnt made a single bad noise yet with over 270 000 km on it.

So I think I may have a lemon the fit off all the interior pieces are miss aligned like the plastic molding on the driver door at the top where i rest my arm is extremely sharp you could almost cuz yourself on it. the window seals are off by about half an inch. the dash by the windshield look totaly missaligned and the hood has a half inch gap on the driver side but none on the passenger side. Also all 4 doorhandles looked like they were somehow overtigtened becuase when you look at the truck in the sun there is alot of bending from the handles to the bottom of the doors.

Well my rant is over but for 56k this thing I would have to say is 100% dissapointing will be making an appointment tommorow with the delearship wish me luck

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Yeah sounds like you need to take a list and see the dealer.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah sounds like you need to take a list and see the dealer.

Ya like taken back 2950kms ago even before the engine racket started.

There definitely sounds like there is something wrong with your truck.

Honestly though man, the Rams are solid trucks. I've got a 2016 that has been an awesome vehicle for me.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry to hear about your issues. You have had all those issues since day one and this is the first time you're taking it into the dealer?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hopefully the dealer will fix you up and you can enjoy your ram.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
Rams dont have great fit and finish, be honest we all bought it for the 8spd and the hemi or the v6

We didnt buy them to have perfect cabs sitting between the bumpers and the bed, nor door aligned, or missing trim pieces.

I get the run around when I point out poor paint job, doors not lining up, bumpers not lining up, tailgate not lining up, everything is

"in tolerance to the spec" even though my hand fits under the right headlight between the bumper and barely my finger tips fit on the left hand side.

"no adjustments" possible, yet there are ****load of threads about how to adjust "out of position of xyz component" on the web.

Its fooqn annoying as hell, if you dont believe me, lookat the fit and finish video back in 2014 when the 1st ecoD rolled off the assembly line to some owners hands, he found like 30+ fit and finish issues that just screams poor quality and bad attention to detail at the assembly lines.

Hope your dealer takes care of you, my last 2 service writers just give me the run around......

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Assuming a vehicle is perfect because it is new is a mistake. Sometimes in the excitement of the purchase things get overlooked. Hope you get things resolved.

OP
OP
R

Rick Wilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This wasnt even the truck I took for a test drive, the dealer told me it had the upgraded premium sound group and comfort group, and they would give me 0% and I would be getting a better truck for less monthly payment... my 56k$ truck has neither of these things after i singned the papers they brought a diff truck around to me told me they were paying for my 221$ registration for plates and when i went to pick them up they had billed me 30$ to pick them up and 221 for the normal fee. They swapped trucks out when they said they were going to fill the tank after they gave me the spare key they brought this new truck back with not even a full tank barely over half

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It sounds like you have a ****** dealer. I test drove a different truck too, a Bighorn, I wanted less chrome so he brought in an Outdoorsman from a different city. I came by the lot after the truck arrived, completely looked it over and pointed out all the issues I had with it. The dealer corrected all of them (all minor) before I took it home. It is your money, as mentioned above you should have checked the truck out visually before you accepted it. There is no excuse for a truck not having the features you were told it had. I would have refused it right there and then. My dealer gave me a print out listing everything the truck had to show me it had what I wanted before I even agreed to buy it.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmmmmm, sounds odd. Maybe he's still driving that Toyota and just ******** on Ram. I'll put my Longhorn up against any Toyota truck any day.

Amen! I love that our trucks don't say "TRD" on 'em...who doesn't try to say that out loud as one word and realize, umm, well, it's not complimentary?

TXCOMT

OP
OP
R

Rick Wilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
for the 2nd time my toyota is a 2009 toyato yaris 1.5l car not a truck this is the first truck i have ever owned after wanting one for 15 years and so far it is garbage, the dealer hasnt even called me back yet was supposed to do a cold startup this morning and let me know what is going on its already 10:30 am here and nothing

OP
OP
R

Rick Wilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
had a big donkey **** of wires fall down and slap me on the lag while i was driving on the highway just the other day from behind the steering wheel like wtf a huge bundle of wires over a foot long just out of the blue drops from behind the dash, there must be 0 quality control on these builds.

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This wasnt even the truck I took for a test drive, the dealer told me it had the upgraded premium sound group and comfort group, and they would give me 0% and I would be getting a better truck for less monthly payment... my 56k$ truck has neither of these things after i singned the papers they brought a diff truck around to me told me they were paying for my 221$ registration for plates and when i went to pick them up they had billed me 30$ to pick them up and 221 for the normal fee. They swapped trucks out when they said they were going to fill the tank after they gave me the spare key they brought this new truck back with not even a full tank barely over half

Based upon your first post and this post, you clearly were not an informed consumer and allowed yourself to be taking advantage of. Your should not accept any product you pay for, unless you are fully aware of and happy with its condition.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I feel your pain. My 2017 limited isn't what I hoped for either. I made the mistake of buying it sight unseen and I've regretted it from the first time I drove it. I've tried to modify it, repair it etc in hopes of liking it, but it mostly just takes up garage space and annoys me. Bought it because I was so happy with my earlier 4th Gen that was getting up there mileage wise so figured I'd just buy the same truck again. Turns out the old one is the reliable one.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hate when things slap me on the lag!

TXCOMT

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Based upon your first post and this post, you clearly were not an informed consumer and allowed yourself to be taking advantage of. Your should not accept any product you pay for, unless you are fully aware of and happy with its condition.

Make one wonder sometimes how people let stuff like this happen to them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tigger54