Break-In...2021 6.7 HO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
2021 3500 with ** Cummins and Aisin trans....When I took delivery, this thing seemed down on power from my previous 2018 Ram 2500. Owner's manual indicates engine break-in is not necessary, but also that it may use higher amounts of DEF and fuel during break in. I noticed the higher DEF usage and fuel economy isn't great, but I attributed that to the ** version. This is where I seek knowledge if you have it...

At 2K miles on the ODO, it seems like this thing woke from a slumber. It has more power. I'm not dreaming this. I know other makes have limits built into their ECM programming for break-in periods, and you can read about this in some dealer bulletins.
Is RAM doing this also on these trucks? It would explain what I am experiencing.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Both gasoline and Diesel engines in these trucks seem to have that same experience. They claim no break in is needed, however they sure run better after some miles.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I did not feel that difference in mine. Maybe my foot is too light.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
New truck, everything is tight and doesn't roll well until it starts to be driven and parts wear in. Go get a new set of tires installed on an existing well-driven truck, at first drive, it will feel as if you are pulling an anchor.