Broke my truck :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaflowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Well this morning hopped into my truck after clearing the driveway of snow. Truck had been warming up for 10 minutes. Grabbed the shifter, started to put it in reverse and then the shifter broke off. Crap. Pulled the boot to have a look and the cast aluminum bracket had broke in half. The parts are not available for awhile so I've got a loaner Durango.

While waiting on the tow truck I did some shopping, now have new gears and shocks coming so one day that'll get done. Went with 4.10s as that'll keep my Maxcare intact and for how i use my truck theyll work great.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The cab/chassis trucks come with 4:44”s. That should keep your max care intact as well. Very minimal difference between 3:73”s and 4:10”s. But Gratz!! Hopefully they get ur truck fixed soon.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
The cab/chassis trucks come with 4:44”s. That should keep your max care intact as well. Very minimal difference between 3:73”s and 4:10”s. But Gratz!! Hopefully they get ur truck fixed soon.

100% agree, go straight to the 4.44 oem gears. There's not enough difference between the 73s and 10s. I've read folks have driven both trucks back to back and couldn't tell the difference between the two

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
100% agree, go straight to the 4.44 oem gears. There's not enough difference between the 73s and 10s. I've read folks have driven both trucks back to back and couldn't tell the difference between the two

I would be one of those folks. I wasn't pulling anything when I test drove them, but I actually felt like the 3.73's launched better than the 4.10's. I know that doesn't make any sense so I didn't say anything at the time, but the salesman with me brought it up & said he thought it took off better. Just about everyone on here says if you are going to re-gear then do it big. Most have said it is nearly the same amount of $$$.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I would be one of those folks. I wasn't pulling anything when I test drove them, but I actually felt like the 3.73's launched better than the 4.10's. I know that doesn't make any sense so I didn't say anything at the time, but the salesman with me brought it up & said he thought it took off better. Just about everyone on here says if you are going to re-gear then do it big. Most have said it is nearly the same amount of $$$.

ok, thanks PW, It must have been you i remembered. I'm not surprised at all, especially in a 6 speed truck. if I ever regear, I'm going straight to the 4.44 mopar gears and be done. going from 73s to 44s I'd think would make a noticeable seat of the pants difference.

OP
OP
J

jaflowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Wanted to go to the 4.44 badly but there's more to change when going to those and my warranty means a bit more to me. Being able to tow 16,000 will be more than enough for me as payload is my primary reason for buying this truck.

Now if Ram will get the part in......dealer said maybe June. .....or they'll pull one from the production line. Maxcare is covering the dealer loaner so that's paying off already.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tigger54