Broken Wipers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roadkill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My wipers have stopped moving. I recently bought a new switch, which I figured that needed changed because when I bought the truck the wipers were already really wonky. They would wipe for an extra 10+ passes on the windshield even after I turned them off. Then eventually I went to use the wipers and they froze in mid wipe. So, like I said, I replaced the switch figuring that was the problem. So I hook it in but the wipers still won't go. Now I figure it must be the motor right? I'm actually heading up to a local pull-a-part tomorrow and figured that I'd ask before I got a wiper motor when I didn't need one. If these wiper motors, however, are prone to going bad, perhaps I should just invest in a new one? Also, is there any interchangeability in these wiper motors or can only pull it off of a 92 Ram?

Leadfoot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318ci
My wipers on my 87 stopped working and it turned out to be a bad ground to the motor. They ground the motor through the mounting bolts to the fire wall. If you have a piece of wire with alligator clips on it, attach one end to the bolt going into the silver part of the motor and the other to battery negative then try.

If it works just run an extra wire from that bolt to battery negative.

OP
OP
Roadkill

Roadkill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually, I found it to be a bad ground not too long ago. As I said in my initial post, I ended up spending the money to get a new wiper switch. Guess that was 50 bucks not needed to be spent. I'm curious if I should just put the old one back in and use it until it fails.

Anyway, the ground wire for the wiper motor guess wasn't making a good connection and with some turns back and forth on the bolt, the wipers worked flawlessly. Guess it was the paint or rust getting underneath. Didn't even need to run extra wire.

But yea, anyone looking under this thread running into a similar problem that I had, just check the ground bolt first lol.

hughnews1

Reaction score
Ram Year
1993 dodge pic up
Engine
i took the cowl off ... got lots of leave out also... I found the pass wiper ws not working .. is there a nut that is missing? Help