Brush Guard and Front Sensors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMacIV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey y'all - I'm new to the forum. Bought a '14 1500 CC SLT Lone Star 4x4 Hemi in late December.

I have the Park Assist group aka rear camera and front and rear sensors. Has anyone tried putting a brush guard on their truck with the front sensors? Does it interfere with the sensors at all? Looking at buying a Ranch Hand grill guard.

My old Chevy and Ram never had them, but now that this Ram does, I've grown to like them...

Thanks y'all,
John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Interesting question. Mine does not have any sensors on the front, so for me, it is a non-issue.

I guess it depends on where the sensors are. If they end up being behind the bars, they will detect it as a obstacle and alert. If they are positioned just below or in between the bars, it might just "look" through them, and never detect them.

You might have to do some test fitting or look closely at what models will or will not work.

I never had a 'brush guard' on a truck either, but now feel "naked" driving anything without one.

Same goes for the Winch.

Post pics of what you come up with .

FYI, I purchased all my stuff through Peace Maker truck accessories. - Good experience. They have a big selection and lots of models you can see online for various trucks / models and makes, so you can get a lot of ideas in one web site.

OP
OP
JMacIV

JMacIV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting question. Mine does not have any sensors on the front, so for me, it is a non-issue.

I guess it depends on where the sensors are. If they end up being behind the bars, they will detect it as a obstacle and alert. If they are positioned just below or in between the bars, it might just "look" through them, and never detect them.

You might have to do some test fitting or look closely at what models will or will not work.

I never had a 'brush guard' on a truck either, but now feel "naked" driving anything without one.

Same goes for the Winch.

Post pics of what you come up with .

FYI, I purchased all my stuff through Peace Maker truck accessories. - Good experience. They have a big selection and lots of models you can see online for various trucks / models and makes, so you can get a lot of ideas in one web site.

That's what I was thinking too about the test fitting. May try to stop by a local shop and have them test fit to see where it would go. I'm definitely hoping the sensors will just "look" through like you said.

Found a "gently" used Ranch Hand grill guard on Craigslist and am considering just biting the bullet and testing it out myself. I don't think I will have a problem selling it down here in South Texas if the grill guard doesn't work out.

I will have to take a look at Peace Maker. Thanks for the suggestion on that.

Mr.Asmith9

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
Engine
6.4L V8 Hemi
I don't know if you ever got around to test the fit of a grill guard but the Westin HDX cattle guard I purchased sits directly in front of two sensors. It doesn't "look past them" in any means. I have to shut off those sensors or the truck will tell me to clean them every time I start my rig. I'm actually seeing if anyone has taken the time to go unplug one or more of the sensors to see if the others will still work without issue. If so I'd do that because some is better than none.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

earlzach

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why wqont the bull bar makers ad holes to move the sensors tot he brush bar and supply an extention wire to plug they back in tot he factory plug. And supply a hole plug for the bumper?
I would buy one in a minute if I they would.

OP
OP
JMacIV

JMacIV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know if you ever got around to test the fit of a grill guard but the Westin HDX cattle guard I purchased sits directly in front of two sensors. It doesn't "look past them" in any means. I have to shut off those sensors or the truck will tell me to clean them every time I start my rig. I'm actually seeing if anyone has taken the time to go unplug one or more of the sensors to see if the others will still work without issue. If so I'd do that because some is better than none.

Mr.Asmith9, Yeah I never got around to it. I ended up purchasing a piece of land and that wiped out my spending money haha.

Thanks for the input on the Westin HDX. I reckon you could probably unplug the two sensors and the truck wouldn't pitch a fit. I haven't tried though, so that is pure speculation.

Another alternative would be to pull the bumper and remove the two middle sensors, then fab up some kind of bracket and attach them to the brush guard instead. That way you would still retain all 4 sensors and wouldn't have to worry about turning them off every time you got in the truck. I figure make a little L bracket out of sheet metal, cut a hole in it for the sensor and then weld or screw it to the brush guard. Just a thought. Once again, I haven't looked at the sensors too closely, so I don't know how the wiring on them is. I could be way off

Mr.Asmith9

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
Engine
6.4L V8 Hemi
I never thought about fabricating something for the sensors. That's actually a great idea, I'm sure it's possible. I'll keep that in mind if unplugging them doesn't work. I just haven't got around to checking. Been lazy latley.

Martininbend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've just purchased a new 2014 Ram with front and rear parking assist sensors. Installed brush guard which blocked two front sensors. Have tried two well known (locally) auto stores and neither will attempt to repair.

Without knowing what I'm talking about, I think there must be a way to eliminate the offending sensors from the system. If you hear of a way please let me know.

Martin in Bend, Oregon

OP
OP
JMacIV

JMacIV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've just purchased a new 2014 Ram with front and rear parking assist sensors. Installed brush guard which blocked two front sensors. Have tried two well known (locally) auto stores and neither will attempt to repair.

Without knowing what I'm talking about, I think there must be a way to eliminate the offending sensors from the system. If you hear of a way please let me know.

Martin in Bend, Oregon

Martin,

Have you pressed the button to disable the Front Parking sensors? There is a button on your center stack that will disable just the front and leave the rears. There is probably some way to disconnect just the two offending sensors somehow.

John

Mr.Asmith9

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
Engine
6.4L V8 Hemi
Martin,

Have you pressed the button to disable the Front Parking sensors?

There is probably some way to disconnect just the two offending sensors somehow.

Hey John,
You can only disengage the sensors when they are operational. The vehicle will auto turn them off when you start them when they are obstructed but gives you that stupid loud annoying warning. Once the vehicle has disabled them, you can't actually turn them off until you clear the obstruction. Trust me I learned first hand how annoying this was. I got so tired I took the brush guard off, turned the sensor off, and put it back on.

In regards to turning just the individual sensors off, dealer says no can do. Nothing they can do to reprogram them, unplugging them doesn't work either. I'm sure you can fool them some how but most people don't have the front sensors. It was annoying but I no longer have that truck or that problem. =)

Sent from my Galaxy S5... with correct text... using Tapatalk

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like a dilemma, for sure. Moving them to the guard sounds like the best idea. That way, you still keep the sensors working... even for that extra clearance of the guard out in front of you.

fcreamer88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
I know this is an old post, but I can be ya'lls saving grace. Ranch Hand makes a cap that sticks on the sensors going off and redirects the signal. Grill guard on with no front park sensors going off!

BTRKY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
5.7L HEMI V8
I just purchased a used 2014 with a Westin guard. The sensors beep like crazy. I would like to use them. Were you able to buy those covers online somewhere? I've had litte success finding them.