Build Planning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

digit4l_gh0st

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L V6 MAGNUM
For those of you that have done serious overhauls and extensive customization; did you plan out your build or just work on it a piece at a time?

I've spent hours googling build plans and the like without much success. I'll probably end up just using a combination of google drive documents and writing stuff down in a notebook due to my extremely poor memory.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
If you have a goal. Do it once. Do it right.

I have built the engine in my Evo 4 times. Because I figured. "Oh these rods will be fine". Or, "i dont need those valves, i only raised the rev limit to 8500RPM".

4 engines!!!

Blew so much stupid money doing that when i was younger. So i de ided to leave that ***** in the garage, broken. The. Saved my pennies like a good boy.

When i was ready, i went down to the shop in person. And wrote up a work order with everything, and anything i might need to make a solidly built engine.

20 grand later. Lol. But my car is still running at 500+ WHP. So I'm happy

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
digit4l_gh0st

digit4l_gh0st

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L V6 MAGNUM
If you have a goal. Do it once. Do it right.

I have built the engine in my Evo 4 times. Because I figured. "Oh these rods will be fine". Or, "i dont need those valves, i only raised the rev limit to 8500RPM".

4 engines!!!

Blew so much stupid money doing that when i was younger. So i de ided to leave that ***** in the garage, broken. The. Saved my pennies like a good boy.

When i was ready, i went down to the shop in person. And wrote up a work order with everything, and anything i might need to make a solidly built engine.

20 grand later. Lol. But my car is still running at 500+ WHP. So I'm happy

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm picking the truck up this weekend. My grandmother has had it for a few years, and says that it's mechanically in good shape. There are some definite cosmetic issues with the paint and body, and I know the interior needs some work. I know my budget will be limited so I'll definitely have to save up for some stuff. Once I get my hands on it I'll be able to pick a starting point and plan from there.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Both. I had a goal to make it faster, but part of that goal was building a good foundation (suspension, brakes etc). Did that. Then I had a plan that I started collecting speed parts for, then that plan changed a bit lol. Then you find things that pique your interest or make you say "ooh I want that" along the way. Read through some of the build threads, you'll see.
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/big-red-over-time-pic-heavy.17732/

OP
OP
digit4l_gh0st

digit4l_gh0st

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L V6 MAGNUM
I don't know that I want to make it faster. Well, I do, but my oldest daughter has stated that she wants a truck when she's old enough to drive, and I may pass it on to her. That gives me a 6-7 year window to get everything fixed and make it look good.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Plenty of time, and a good first vehicle for a teen. Can't really make a 3.7 Ram faster without swapping engines lol.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
digit4l_gh0st

digit4l_gh0st

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L V6 MAGNUM
Can't really make a 3.7 Ram faster without swapping engines lol.

The thought had crossed my mind, but it's likely way outside of my budget at the moment lol. I sure do miss that throaty growl from my old 01 Hemi though...

Speaking of engines, would a Chilton manual be a good investment? When I was a teenager we all had Chilton manual for our trucks (because we all drove beaters lol) and would do all the minor repairs ourselves. Amazon has them listed for about $25. I already snagged the 2003 FSM pdf from one of the other threads.

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The thought had crossed my mind, but it's likely way outside of my budget at the moment lol. I sure do miss that throaty growl from my old 01 Hemi though...

Speaking of engines, would a Chilton manual be a good investment? When I was a teenager we all had Chilton manual for our trucks (because we all drove beaters lol) and would do all the minor repairs ourselves. Amazon has them listed for about $25. I already snagged the 2003 FSM pdf from one of the other threads.

No such thing as a 2001 hemi, unless you retrofitted one.
Chiltons are **** now. If you already snagged the FSM a Chiltons won't ever hold a candle to it. Only thing I'd suggest is grabbing the parts manual as well (same thread).

OP
OP
digit4l_gh0st

digit4l_gh0st

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L V6 MAGNUM
Maybe it was an '03 then, it's been years since I had the thing. I just remember my son was a little over 3 years old and only called it "The Hemi"

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I would make it a father daughter project with the goal of flipping it when the truck is cleaned up enough to sell. Being a 3.7 I wouldn't look at it as a keeper.

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
Depending on what you wanna do, the V6 is okay. It’s not a Hemi by any means, but its not a inherently BAD motor either. One of the main reasons nobody has this V6 is this 200-hp engine is just about as thirsty as a 345-hp hemi

The 3.7 and 4.7 (they’re basically the same save for 2 cylinders) have their share of problems, but I’ve had mine for about 50,000 miles with no real engine problems. I’m at 150k miles and I’m hoping for a lot more to come

If at some point you are actually interested in a hemi swap, there’s a guy who posted a writeup for an 04? 3.7-5.7 swap. I’d love to pull that swap on my 06 but this truck is my daily driver and theres a lot more computers on the later 3rd gens

Maybe someday lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SouthernGorilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here's some advice from a guy who's never finished a project despite owning more than thirty cars over the years; have a firm goal up front and hire someone to punch you every time you even think of deviating from that goal. There is nothing that will kill a project faster than losing focus and switching goals every time you see something shiny.

If your goal is to give the truck to your daughter in a few years it seems reasonable to assume reliability and comfort are more important than speed and power. I'd put "reliability" and "comfort" at the top of the whiteboard and erase every idea that didn't work towards one of those goals. Whatever the overall goal may actually be, write it in big print somewhere and treat it like scripture. Everything after that is just details.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The 3.7 and 4.7 (they’re basically the same save for 2 cylinders)

Yes and no. Same bore size, but the 3.7 has more stroke to offset the power loss from losing two cylinders; that's why it's displacement and horsepower are more than just 3/4 of the 4.7's.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Here's some advice from a guy who's never finished a project despite owning more than thirty cars over the years; have a firm goal up front and hire someone to punch you every time you even think of deviating from that goal. There is nothing that will kill a project faster than losing focus and switching goals every time you see something shiny.

If your goal is to give the truck to your daughter in a few years it seems reasonable to assume reliability and comfort are more important than speed and power. I'd put "reliability" and "comfort" at the top of the whiteboard and erase every idea that didn't work towards one of those goals. Whatever the overall goal may actually be, write it in big print somewhere and treat it like scripture. Everything after that is just details.

Couldn’t have been better said!!! I’ve made the mistake several times in my years of hotrodding and kid raising. Had a 68 Firebird that I raced religiously wanted to give it to my infant son’s when they grew up but for untold reasons it didn’t happen.
Now I’m helping my youngest build a Toyota Supra that has a 550 rwhp I6 with twin turbos.

OP make the memories that will matter most down the road. Make it a Father Daughter build. It’ll mean the world to her as well. It’ll help give her the real world skills to be an independent woman.

- The Blue Mule