BullyDog 40470 tuner with 8 speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys so been doing some reading and looking into a tuner. Will be adding a electric fan conversion,
and then just want a basic preset tune.
Was going to grab a diablo I3 however then i was told out here the bullydog 40470 was designed for the ram 1500 8Speed transmission and can tune the transmission.

the diablo wont do anything with the 8 speed.

Can anyone confirm this like @fastNugly as i know a thread from years ago he said it worked for the 8 speeds and was going to get others to confirm who bought from him.

Anyone else who wants to chime in and let me know what im best off going with im open and not made my mind up.

Id like the tuner to do engine and trans. Firm up the sifts a bit ect. the electric fan conversion i know tuner is needed.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Been around tuners for a few years now,never once heard of the bullydog tuner having 8 speed trans tuning capability,maybe they do,but i sure haven't heard about them being able to tune the 8 speed. Your 14 might be hit or miss on whether the tranny is even tunable with a Diablo too.The only guarantee'd tuner with tranny tuning capabilities on the 13 and 14 8 speeds is HP,after they changed the TCM in 15 then Diablo's will work for sure,but not so much on the earlier 8 speeds.

OP
OP
ToxicFire

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Been around tuners for a few years now,never once heard of the bullydog tuner having 8 speed trans tuning capability,maybe they do,but i sure haven't heard about them being able to tune the 8 speed. Your 14 might be hit or miss on whether the tranny is even tunable with a Diablo too.The only guarantee'd tuner with tranny tuning capabilities on the 13 and 14 8 speeds is HP,after they changed the TCM in 15 then Diablo's will work for sure,but not so much on the earlier 8 speeds.
Ok thanks for that. Do you know what hp one would work 100% with my trans?
Is the hp a good one to go with or is a Diablo i3 a better option even without trans?

I thought only 1 tuner would work then was reading and bulldog says it would work on 8 speed but doesn't say certain years won't but thought I'd ask here before spending money to find out it won't work lol.

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ok thanks for that. Do you know what hp one would work 100% with my trans?
Is the hp a good one to go with or is a Diablo i3 a better option even without trans?

I thought only 1 tuner would work then was reading and bulldog says it would work on 8 speed but doesn't say certain years won't but thought I'd ask here before spending money to find out it won't work lol.

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

HP hands down is the better tuner.You can access way more tuning parameters through HP then you can through a Diablo tuner.
Start researching HP as it doesn't use a hand held tuner,you use a laptop,or if your eyes are good you can use a tablet,mine aren't so i use a laptop,lol. Do a search on here,and hit up google,and track down HP Tunings site and start reading