Busted drag link

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
It seems I stand corrected then - I had not heard anything about them starting to replace the bad ones.

It's about time then.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Absolutely, contact ramcares and tell them you would like the updated drag link because you can't get an alignment with the weld. Do Not try and go through the dealer to do this, they don't have the means of making it happen and will tell you it can't be done. Ramcares will arrange to get it shipped to you dealer and get it taken care of

My truck needed a
A welded drag link is better then being killed in an accident. And Ram will install a new updated drag link if you reach out to ramcares, had mine done free of charge. They will no longer reimburse you for an aftermarket one since they are replacing them for free (and have been for almost 2 years).

thanks I didn’t know this. I had a shop that said they wouldn’t do an alignment because of the weld.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Same here, no evidence asked for. Mine was new to me, I noticed pulling to right getting stronger about two months after I got it and contacted Ram Cares to start the process. Start to finish took a few weeks, but no cost to make it right from me. Just patience.

Just curious - was your misalignment caused by drag link weld failure?

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
My truck needed a

thanks I didn’t know this. I had a shop that said they wouldn’t do an alignment because of the weld.
Hello,

If you have the welded drag link that is causing you from getting an alignment, please reach out to us in a PM, there is a new update repair on this.

William
Ram Cares

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I had mine welded a long time ago under the “recall”, will they install an updated one on mine if I request?
Hello,

There is a new update repair on this. If you reach out to us in a PM, we'd be happy to assist.

William
Ram Cares

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I was parking the truck (2016 2500 Hemi with 144K), heard a snap and the steering goes limp. Drag link is no joke. Called FCA (RAM) and they called the dealer. The dealer is taking care of everything under the recall. Thank God this did not happen on the highway.
On the flip side, wife is concerned and asked if it's time for a new truck. I looked at the current truck prices and said nope. Will drive this to 200K and then make a decision. Great truck otherwise.

View attachment 515080
Hello,

We are glad to hear you got the updated drag link repair. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please send us a PM.

William
Ram Cares

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Just curious - was your misalignment caused by drag link weld failure?
I can't say one way or the other TBH as I had just bought the truck a few months prior to noticing the pulling to the right more and more. Was happy to get the welded drag link replaced with the new style by Ram Cares though. Very happy with the entire process really. Dealer indicated initially that it might take a few days to get to working on it once I dropped it off . Appointment was set up far enough out for the dealer to receive the part in advance to me dropping it off. When I dropped it off I made sure they had both the part and the alignment was on the list of work to do as that is what was explained to me earlier in the process that would be covered as part of the recall for free. Both new part and an alignment were listed correctly on work to be done, and I got my truck back at end of day after dropping it off first thing in the morning. It does take some time to get to the actual truck being worked on, but just be patient and you should be good to go!

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I can't say one way or the other TBH as I had just bought the truck a few months prior to noticing the pulling to the right more and more. Was happy to get the welded drag link replaced with the new style by Ram Cares though. Very happy with the entire process really. Dealer indicated initially that it might take a few days to get to working on it once I dropped it off . Appointment was set up far enough out for the dealer to receive the part in advance to me dropping it off. When I dropped it off I made sure they had both the part and the alignment was on the list of work to do as that is what was explained to me earlier in the process that would be covered as part of the recall for free. Both new part and an alignment were listed correctly on work to be done, and I got my truck back at end of day after dropping it off first thing in the morning. It does take some time to get to the actual truck being worked on, but just be patient and you should be good to go!

Thanks much. I just touched base with Ram Cares via PM.

Had drag link welded 4 years back, with bushing wear will likely need new tires and alignment soon anyway.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Because the official fix from FCA is to weld everything, which means if you ever need an alignment, you have to purchase a new drag link (instead of just replacing it up front).
Not really. If you look at the actual recall it instructs to apply a small weld enough to prevent the knuckle from becoming loose and turning. For post-recall alignments, the instructions simply instruct to grind the small weld away, align, then re-weld.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 85180 miles

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Not really. If you look at the actual recall it instructs to apply a small weld enough to prevent the knuckle from becoming loose and turning. For post-recall alignments, the instructions simply instruct to grind the small weld away, align, then re-weld.
That may be what it says, but it's not what RamCares told me. They said once it was cut, the drag link has to be replaced. I'll see if I can find it in our correspondence.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That may be what it says, but it's not what RamCares told me. They said once it was cut, the drag link has to be replaced. I'll see if I can find it in our correspondence.
I'm sure you're correct.

At the time the recall was issued in June of 2019, there would not have been enough inventory in the system to satisfy demand of replacement parts since this recall impacted 795,000 vehicles. Recall 19V-021 clearly stated that "No parts will be distributed initially."

My apologies as I was incorrect, however, in stating that the 19V-021 recall instructs to grind off the weld for re-alignment purposes. That instruction was part of a later STAR case.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 85180 miles

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The point is likely that aftermarket alignment shops likely won't touch a welded drag link, right?

So there's reason to get a new, correctly designed drag link unless we only go to dealerships for service. I use a local shop that is more convenient.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The point is likely that aftermarket alignment shops likely won't touch a welded drag link, right?

So there's reason to get a new, correctly designed drag link unless we only go to dealerships for service. I use a local shop that is more convenient.
My dealer told me my alignment was fine, yet I had odd wear on a set of tires that only had 1200 miles on them, told me I needed to rotate the tires more.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Depends on the shop. The non-dealer shop I went to said they'd cut the weld off, but would not weld it back in place once done with the alignment. They used some strong loctite instead. They had me agree to all of that before starting.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Depends on the shop. The non-dealer shop I went to said they'd cut the weld off, but would not weld it back in place once done with the alignment. They used some strong loctite instead. They had me agree to all of that before starting.

Hello,

Do you have the updated drag link repair that is not welded? Please send us a PM if you wish to discuss this further.

William
Ram Cares

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hello,

Do you have the updated drag link repair that is not welded? Please send us a PM if you wish to discuss this further.

William
Ram Cares
Yes, I did get the updated link, with RamCares help. I don't own that truck anymore though.

Bandit1859

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
See my problem isn't the prices of new trucks. It is the packaging. It is disappointing that to buy a new 2023, in order to get a sunroof I ALSO have to get the 12" screen. I would prefer the smaller screen, because that monster screen has a higher likelyhood of reflecting sunlight into my eyes, thus making me a distracted driver. It's a safety concern.
I have the big screen no issues on sun but had software issue

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have the big screen no issues on sun but had software issue
I guess I'd have to look at one again, but the last big screen I saw in a 2019 or 2020 Rebel I didn't care for - other than the temp and fan knob there were NO controls available for the HVAC, which to me seems pretty stupid - if the screen locks up in the winter then you can't make any adjustments to your HVAC, a kind of important system.

I also don't believe that a sunroof and the size of the infotainment screen should have anything to do with one another - if I want one with out the other I should be able to, in either combination. But then there's a LOT of things Ram puts together that I don't understand. For instance I think one of the PW option packages that has a lot of features I want (and aren't available ala cart) FORCES you to get the under-seat subwoofer, which I absolutely DO NOT want in another truck. I have it now, and I can't use most of my under seat storage because of it. So all winter long my ice scraper is riding on the floorboard in the back seat, getting dirty and stepped on. So basically I have to forego options I want to avoid getting something I don't.

I don't know, maybe I'm just getting old, but it seems like their 'required packages' combos could use a little brushing up.

BLUKTY2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My drag link was welded right after the recall came out. My dealer did this when my truck was in the shop for an unrelated issue. I wasn't given the chance to say "yes" or "no" to the "fix", they just did it. I reached out to RamCares and voiced my displeasure with their "fix" for this issue and was rather quickly provided with the new, updated drag link which the dealer replaced. Very satisfied with the end result and I encourage anyone that is not happy with the welded jam nut "fix" to reach out to RamCares. I am convinced that they will make it right for you.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I guess I'd have to look at one again, but the last big screen I saw in a 2019 or 2020 Rebel I didn't care for - other than the temp and fan knob there were NO controls available for the HVAC, which to me seems pretty stupid - if the screen locks up in the winter then you can't make any adjustments to your HVAC, a kind of important system.
Don't know about the 19-21 12" system, but my 2022 has the HVAC controls as physical buttons on the sides of the screen, like this:
I also don't believe that a sunroof and the size of the infotainment screen should have anything to do with one another - if I want one with out the other I should be able to, in either combination. But then there's a LOT of things Ram puts together that I don't understand. For instance I think one of the PW option packages that has a lot of features I want (and aren't available ala cart) FORCES you to get the under-seat subwoofer, which I absolutely DO NOT want in another truck. I have it now, and I can't use most of my under seat storage because of it. So all winter long my ice scraper is riding on the floorboard in the back seat, getting dirty and stepped on. So basically I have to forego options I want to avoid getting something I don't.

I don't know, maybe I'm just getting old, but it seems like their 'required packages' combos could use a little brushing up.
On my 22 2500 Ltd Longhorn, the sunroof was a separate option. I could have opted to not have it and still get the premium uConnect system.