Engine
Hemi
The rfe hemis benefit alot from regearing to 4.56+

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I would never buy a truck with 3.21 gears but that is what the dealers' buyers tend to order as that is what the manufacturers want to sell to improved their CAFE numbers. With a gas engine I want 4.10 or better gears and the larger fuel tank. Both meant that I needed to special order a pickup as 95% of the trucks I have looked at have the standard smaller gas tank. I can change the gears but I cannot change out the factory fuel tank with a gas vehicle (OK with a diesel as regulations are different).

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
I would still avoid the 3:21 gears if you can since you'll be towing. Much more powerful "feel" with the 3:55 or 3:92. If your even thinking you'll increase tire size, even one rating, or changing to LT series tire, get 3:92's.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The rfe hemis benefit alot from regearing to 4.56+

High gear ratio might be good for pulling stumps or oversized tires, but I suspect when gas hangs out at $5/gal or more for a while you won't see a lot of guys putting in gears like that.

I remember in the early 80's a few guys I knew a couple guys who had pickups that had really low ratio rears, like 2.75 or 3.08 gears with an anemic V6 and OD trannys. I'm thinking GM and Ford here. They were a real bugger to drive off the line too, esp if you had a manual and were taking off uphill from a stoplight! :cool: Amazing we got through those yrs, LOL. But your point is well taken on the RFE tranny and gearing.

FF376

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I purchased a 2018 2500 with the 6.4 and tow similar lets say "medium" loads. Big pro for the 2500 in the used market is you are more likely to have one optioned for towing with the brake controls, deeper gears etc. Also, the stronger axles and certainly the bigger brakes help a lot. Downside is that if this is your daily driver the ride is quite a bit stiffer and the fuel mileage runs from awful to just bad..... But its a big, heavy truck with a large engine so what do you expect.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, all depends on what a guy needs to do/tow, right?

kayjo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For the weight you tow its a non issue. The fuel mileage obviously better with the 3.21 but 3.92 is a more natural gearing for the hemi. If you dont tow much , I say go for the 3.21 , I guess you could order a 3.55. if you tow a lot of weight or often go for the 3.92. It can save the engine and tranny more load.

As for price - yes too high - that would be about right for a 2018. 2016 with this mileage should be maybe 28-32 based on equipment. However, you get a much newer and lower mileage truck the closer you get to 38-46ish.
You could probably find a 2019 with 30-50k mi, for 40ish. and then you could get a 3.21 with etorque , and then the towing becomes less relevant.

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but in case it hasn't - I always look at the value of money over time. I saw earlier, a member say the difference of interest rates between used and new. He's right.

So there is that....but now with 7% inflation in Feb alone, the fed will raise interest rates in the hopes to drop prices down. One might say it's a push, but the inventory issue still exists and dealerships will continue to charge more and more over MSRP.

Find a dealer that won't do that and look at ordering what you want. Do your best to secure financing at today's rates before they go up. Most credit unions are offering a 90-day window. I'm crossing my fingers I can keep my 1.6% assuming my truck arrives before the approval disappears. I was so close to buying a truck at 8K over MSRP - we started negotiating at 15K over MSRP. I found an out-of-state dealer for 1K over, done. Good luck!

OP
OP
AkNoad2

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but in case it hasn't - I always look at the value of money over time. I saw earlier, a member say the difference of interest rates between used and new. He's right.

So there is that....but now with 7% inflation in Feb alone, the fed will raise interest rates in the hopes to drop prices down. One might say it's a push, but the inventory issue still exists and dealerships will continue to charge more and more over MSRP.

Find a dealer that won't do that and look at ordering what you want. Do your best to secure financing at today's rates before they go up. Most credit unions are offering a 90-day window. I'm crossing my fingers I can keep my 1.6% assuming my truck arrives before the approval disappears. I was so close to buying a truck at 8K over MSRP - we started negotiating at 15K over MSRP. I found an out-of-state dealer for 1K over, done. Good luck!
Good info. I do have a 90 day window on financing through my local credit union but I'm a bit miffed on the interest rate, my credit rating is just about as high as it can get and I thought my interest rate would be lower (3.4%) but maybe that's just the state of things these days. I've done BB comparisons to several trucks I have looked at and according to that info, some of them are priced fairly high, some about right and several are well under it. I'm still leaning towards the 1500 with better gearing right now and since the price of gas continues to climb I'm probably going to stay away from the 2500 models, though I would love a Power Wagon, mileage is becoming a player in my decision making process.

I did test drive a beautiful white 1500 Laramie Longhorn that has 42k miles on it that is priced at $42,999 which according to the BB values is pretty much dead on but my offer of $40k was turned down. We'll see what happens as time moves on the trucks become harder to move, maybe prices will come down.

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Being not in a hurry gives you time to find the "right" truck for you. And makes you a salesperson's nightmare.