Buying a newer truck and have some questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Your first mistake is using the wrong numbers since new trucks use the 8hp75, not the 8hp70.

Aren't all 4th gen including classics equipped with the 8hp70? The 75 is in the 5th gens.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Aren't all 4th gen including classics equipped with the 8hp70? The 75 is in the 5th gens.

Title of thread is "newer truck" so I'm assuming 5th gen, but to be honest it doesn't change my argument much; you get slightly different numbers but the point I was trying to make is that in my experience my truck never struggles in first/second while towing, IF it struggles it would be under two conditions, getting up to speed on an on-ramp and passing a trucker on the freeway. In both those cases I've thought a few times "it'd be nice to have more power", but in both those cases the 3.92 would provide almost identical gear ratios to choose from.

The 3.92 is only stronger from a dead stop under WOT conditions, but my 3.21 never feels weak there, and I spend so little time in first/second in the first place.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
From what I read the OP is looking at used trucks. His 2nd post mentioned a 2016 that he was looking at. But thanks for the 8hp75 info. Good to know.

OP
OP
AkNoad2

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Going to look at 2 trucks this afternoon, both 2500's with the 5.7 Hemi, one is a really good deal from the research I've done on it, the other one is a fair deal. Question for those in the know, is the 2500 under powered with the 5.7?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good stuff, thanks for sharing!
MY 19 with 5.7L no E-torque.3:21 rear end.
Unloaded:
13-18 City
16-21 Hwy

Loaded: 2150 Lb trailer, with full load hay: 7,000 lbs more or less.
Depends upon traffic and load. Note, since I only tow this local, I do not have a WDH, that in my opinion necessary if U tow far.
Added: I usually max out at 65 mph. Most roads I am on is 60 mph, except for FM road, but I sat at 65 mph.

City, 10-12
Hwy 9-13

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Going to look at 2 trucks this afternoon, both 2500's with the 5.7 Hemi, one is a really good deal from the research I've done on it, the other one is a fair deal. Question for those in the know, is the 2500 under powered with the 5.7?
I will give my layman answer since I do not have a 2500. I personally only do that much more truck with a 6.4 or a Cummins, That just is IMHO.

OP
OP
AkNoad2

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I thought about the 6.4 but I don't tow anything heavy enough to justify it and as awesome as the Cummins is I don't want to deal with all the maintenance of a diesel plus they are super expensive, even the 10-15 year old Cummins are way too pricey for me.

OP
OP
AkNoad2

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Did I mention that I hate car salesman........lol. So I went and looked at the one truck that was for a very good deal, turns out the exhaust manifold bolt was broke on the drivers side upper. First thing the salesman tells me is that someone was coming back tonight to pick it up but they wouldn't hold it, he was a young guy but they are teaching him some shady ****. Anyways after I test drove it and brought it back and tell him about the manifold issue he asks me if I wanted to make a deal, I tossed him the keys and walked out. I actually knew the guy that owned the other truck, it's in great shape but a little high on price so I'm going to keep looking.

AlexC2350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
OP If you’re going to go with a 2500 don’t fart around with the 5.7 ones. They’re probably fine but you’re not going to save any on gas between the that and the 6.4 The engine just has to work harder all the time because of the weight of the truck.

My is opinion just my opinion but one that probably held by many. Don’t bother with the 2500s and PWs with the 6 speed. Not that they’re bad (though they do have issues) the 8 speed is just much better and the difference in price between say a 16,17,18 and a 19 with the 8 speed isn’t that much right now.

If it were me, and I lived in AK and my budget allowed I’d be in a power wagon, for sure. 2019+

Brian2081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, here's my 2 cents, 2016 2500 Outdoorsman CCLB, 5.7, 6spd, 4.10's and 35x12.5 18 tires. Pulled a landscape trailer with a 3000 lb car on it (roughly 5000 lbs total) a few times and barely noticed it being back there.
Summer time running empty around 14 mpg, towing above mentioned weight around 10 mpg.
Winter (average temp 20 deg. F) empty 10 mpg.
Towing 7-8 mpg.
The towing is alternating between tow/haul mode & 65-75 mph.

RamminMopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The rfe hemis benefit alot from regearing to 4.56+

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I would never buy a truck with 3.21 gears but that is what the dealers' buyers tend to order as that is what the manufacturers want to sell to improved their CAFE numbers. With a gas engine I want 4.10 or better gears and the larger fuel tank. Both meant that I needed to special order a pickup as 95% of the trucks I have looked at have the standard smaller gas tank. I can change the gears but I cannot change out the factory fuel tank with a gas vehicle (OK with a diesel as regulations are different).

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
I would still avoid the 3:21 gears if you can since you'll be towing. Much more powerful "feel" with the 3:55 or 3:92. If your even thinking you'll increase tire size, even one rating, or changing to LT series tire, get 3:92's.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The rfe hemis benefit alot from regearing to 4.56+

High gear ratio might be good for pulling stumps or oversized tires, but I suspect when gas hangs out at $5/gal or more for a while you won't see a lot of guys putting in gears like that.

I remember in the early 80's a few guys I knew a couple guys who had pickups that had really low ratio rears, like 2.75 or 3.08 gears with an anemic V6 and OD trannys. I'm thinking GM and Ford here. They were a real bugger to drive off the line too, esp if you had a manual and were taking off uphill from a stoplight! :cool: Amazing we got through those yrs, LOL. But your point is well taken on the RFE tranny and gearing.

FF376

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I purchased a 2018 2500 with the 6.4 and tow similar lets say "medium" loads. Big pro for the 2500 in the used market is you are more likely to have one optioned for towing with the brake controls, deeper gears etc. Also, the stronger axles and certainly the bigger brakes help a lot. Downside is that if this is your daily driver the ride is quite a bit stiffer and the fuel mileage runs from awful to just bad..... But its a big, heavy truck with a large engine so what do you expect.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, all depends on what a guy needs to do/tow, right?

kayjo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For the weight you tow its a non issue. The fuel mileage obviously better with the 3.21 but 3.92 is a more natural gearing for the hemi. If you dont tow much , I say go for the 3.21 , I guess you could order a 3.55. if you tow a lot of weight or often go for the 3.92. It can save the engine and tranny more load.

As for price - yes too high - that would be about right for a 2018. 2016 with this mileage should be maybe 28-32 based on equipment. However, you get a much newer and lower mileage truck the closer you get to 38-46ish.
You could probably find a 2019 with 30-50k mi, for 40ish. and then you could get a 3.21 with etorque , and then the towing becomes less relevant.

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but in case it hasn't - I always look at the value of money over time. I saw earlier, a member say the difference of interest rates between used and new. He's right.

So there is that....but now with 7% inflation in Feb alone, the fed will raise interest rates in the hopes to drop prices down. One might say it's a push, but the inventory issue still exists and dealerships will continue to charge more and more over MSRP.

Find a dealer that won't do that and look at ordering what you want. Do your best to secure financing at today's rates before they go up. Most credit unions are offering a 90-day window. I'm crossing my fingers I can keep my 1.6% assuming my truck arrives before the approval disappears. I was so close to buying a truck at 8K over MSRP - we started negotiating at 15K over MSRP. I found an out-of-state dealer for 1K over, done. Good luck!

OP
OP
AkNoad2

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but in case it hasn't - I always look at the value of money over time. I saw earlier, a member say the difference of interest rates between used and new. He's right.

So there is that....but now with 7% inflation in Feb alone, the fed will raise interest rates in the hopes to drop prices down. One might say it's a push, but the inventory issue still exists and dealerships will continue to charge more and more over MSRP.

Find a dealer that won't do that and look at ordering what you want. Do your best to secure financing at today's rates before they go up. Most credit unions are offering a 90-day window. I'm crossing my fingers I can keep my 1.6% assuming my truck arrives before the approval disappears. I was so close to buying a truck at 8K over MSRP - we started negotiating at 15K over MSRP. I found an out-of-state dealer for 1K over, done. Good luck!
Good info. I do have a 90 day window on financing through my local credit union but I'm a bit miffed on the interest rate, my credit rating is just about as high as it can get and I thought my interest rate would be lower (3.4%) but maybe that's just the state of things these days. I've done BB comparisons to several trucks I have looked at and according to that info, some of them are priced fairly high, some about right and several are well under it. I'm still leaning towards the 1500 with better gearing right now and since the price of gas continues to climb I'm probably going to stay away from the 2500 models, though I would love a Power Wagon, mileage is becoming a player in my decision making process.

I did test drive a beautiful white 1500 Laramie Longhorn that has 42k miles on it that is priced at $42,999 which according to the BB values is pretty much dead on but my offer of $40k was turned down. We'll see what happens as time moves on the trucks become harder to move, maybe prices will come down.

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Being not in a hurry gives you time to find the "right" truck for you. And makes you a salesperson's nightmare.