Buying for longevity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn Night Edition
Engine
V8
My point is that the controls for my features are all separate so I can replace a simple switch if needed instead of the entire infotainment system, which is its own computer with separate software and integration is not always seamless with updates; that is the nature of software designed by varied teams.

I have a truck and use it that way, I need to be able to adjust heat, etc. with work gloves on. So big knobs are a must. One zone of temperature is fine. Maps is free on my phone and I can control through 8.4 if needed. Simple works for me, and keeps my truck repair costs low and downtime for such to a few days every decade.
I find the 12" display to be very distracting and overly complicated. Just too much information and functionality to scroll through. I don't need half of that crap. I'm sure it appeals to the tech guys, but it is information overload to me. The 8.4 is just fine.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
Folks... ALL of these truck have a fully integrated electronic system. Don't confuse the presence of a mechanical button versus a touchscreen as a jump in reliability. Most all of the switches, temp and fan knobs, etc are actually just CANbus switches...they arent directly controlling anything. They send signals (CAN messages) to the BCM which triggers some sort of output (IE: your ventilation fan blowing higher or lower). A touchscreen is as reliable as any other switch. Now on the other hand...There's slightly more chance of the software glitching because you're relying on a computer to display the graphics on the screen as well as process your touch as a command...but these systems have been around for years and suffer relatively little reliability concerns.
until the screen delaminates replacing a switch is a lot less costly to replace