Buying new truck, had to sign acknowledgment that connected services account can’t be activated?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
The newest thing i own is the wifes Sept built 2019 Challenger,and it doesn't have an SOS or 911 button,at least not that i've ever seen.Is this an actual button marked SOS,be nice if somebody could post a pic of the button

Yeah, it's a big red button that says "SOS" or a black button with red lettering reading "SOS", depending on size. It's typically either on the mirror frame or in the button cluster between the sun visors (like on my Ram).

Just google "<insert car model here> SOS button" and you'll get images specific to whichever one you're interested in. There's also a virtual button in the touch screen, at least on some models.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The newest thing i own is the wifes Sept built 2019 Challenger,and it doesn't have an SOS or 911 button,at least not that i've ever seen.Is this an actual button marked SOS,be nice if somebody could post a pic of the button

It should be on the rear view mirror on the Challenger. Left side is the Assist and Right side is the SOS button. Took the pic from Mopar store.

As @Docwagon1776 mentioned above. It's usually in those two places. Mine also has 'App' or virtual button on the touch screen.

1707508079546.png

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It's a very cheap wannabe On-Star.

When my Jeep had it(paid sub) it didn't detect my jeep was crushed and now a 1 seat vehicle nor did the button work.

On-Star.... "We detected unusually rocking motion and heavy breathing, Do you need assistance? " Repond "Just sex in the back seat, if you are female and close by, sure my wife is bored"

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Connected Services is only available for certain year model RAMs Sirus XM radio can be a separate WiFi signal (satellite radio)

You need to have a button that is programed to call Connected Services.

Dealerships would be given access codes to enable satellite radio frequency stations to supplement AM and FM radios
They were limited free trials of Sirus XM and handed to customers in their closing sales paperwork.

Some of the mangers and sales staff would use these coupons to receive and renew their own (or friend’s) temporary subscriptions a not hand them out to the buyer of the vehicles.

This started the process of prepping and preprograming the vehicles for Satellite radio and enables the WiFi antenna to activate and wake up the CAN bus system which is powered by the vehicle’s own battery.
Some dealerships have acres of vehicles and dealer prep is a large part of their operational overhead costs.

FCA may have came to a compromise with the dealers to activate the Satellite antennas from the factories and in doing so have inadvertently discovered the issues with radio interference waking up the CAN bus system and draining batteries.

Land based WiFi towers are now in the process of combining coverage with satellites to transmit over a greater area to filling geographical dead spots.
Uconnect radios have satellite access capabilities through WiFi frequencies

Newer vehicles 2018 on are additionally eligible for
SIRUSXM GUARDIAN” which includes advanced GPS

Security issues regarding personal information that is uploaded into Uconnect phone pairing can give new “CAN bus injection” attackers information about your phone and applications for home automation security passwords and codes circumventing the need for bypass harnesses through the OBD port or inaccessible CAN bus connectors

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It should be on the rear view mirror on the Challenger. Left side is the Assist and Right side is the SOS button. Took the pic from Mopar store.

As @Docwagon1776 mentioned above. It's usually in those two places. Mine also has 'App' or virtual button on the touch screen.

View attachment 537171
Damn i gotta pay more attention to what's behind the car,lol. It does have that button.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It's a Challenger.... Only reason to look back is when you want wave and laugh at people you just passed :)
That's the problem with hanging around some of the faster local cars and trucks,it's slow compared to most of the toys,lol.
I gotta a buddy with an OBS Chebby and we were having fun one time,and at 160 mph,he pulled out and passed me like i was standing still,with a flucking truck no less,but then again the truck runs very bottom 9's,lol

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Back around 2011, my 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 did have the subscription for whatever the connected services name was at that time.
The Provider back then was SPRINT & Chrysler was trying to get a Canadian Provider, so that it would work in Canada, the company that was going to be the Provider was ROGERS, who ever is in charge up in Canada, some how killed that partnership & the people that i know in Ontario Canada were rejoicing, they dislike Rogers for what ever reason.
I had to find a Pay Phone while i was up in Ontario that 2 or 3 times that i drove up there several years ago, I was especially lost when looking for a Pay Phone in Sudbury Ontario :(

FORD has AT&T International as a Provider & it was working great back in 2011

I forgot who is now the Provider for FCA/Stellantis connected services

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Back around 2011, my 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 did have the subscription for whatever the connected services name was at that time.
The Provider back then was SPRINT & Chrysler was trying to get a Canadian Provider, so that it would work in Canada, the company that was going to be the Provider was ROGERS, who ever is in charge up in Canada, some how killed that partnership & the people that i know in Ontario Canada were rejoicing, they dislike Rogers for what ever reason.
I had to find a Pay Phone while i was up in Ontario that 2 or 3 times that i drove up there several years ago, I was especially lost when looking for a Pay Phone in Sudbury Ontario :(

Knowing Rogers they probably wanted more money then FCA was willing to pay,lol.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

Rogers owned Sprint Canada more than 20 years ago (they purchased all of Call-Net and all of Sprint Canada)
Call-Net owned 25-30% of Sprint Canada, used Call-Net's network.

AT&T Canada was co-owned by tiny company in Calgary, then changed to Allstream then sold to some US company.
Rogers and AT&T US also owned Cantel, until Rogers purchased it and changed to Rogers Wireless

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
AT&T network is the major player in connected vehicle services in the US.

Same for Canada. Their LTE-M has roaming with all big players here. Bell/Rogers/Telus

We use them for our Truck fleets. If recall correctly, they have largest LTE-M network in world.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
CanRebel,
my memory is vague, old timers disease :(

2011 - 2013 was the first times when i drove up to Ontario Canada
At that time, Chrysler was trying to setup Connected Services with Canada.
Canadian Authorities frowned on the partnership

I think this was time period that i was referring to
I Googled M2M, instead of connected services

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I typed up a more technical reply, but let's just leave it at this: The system knows in real time where you are and will transmit that data. It's not like VoIP looking for a registered address like the old "Magic Jack" devices or similar. Directly from Sirius XM/Guardian's literature: ""If you are unable to respond, ASOS can direct emergency services to your location via GPS"" And the 911 button relies on a cell connection. Anything on the cell network necesarily has real time location tracking as it's the only way to know which tower to hit and when to do hand offs. The data location is absolutely available in real time without any investigation needed.

I started my law enforcement career in a dispatch center and worked my way up to a supervisor in a major felony office with stops as a patrol officer, detective, and field supervisor along the way. I've taken 911 calls, been dispatched on automated dispatches, and done warrants on cell providers. I've never had a vehicle dispatched in my jurisdiction that was actually somewhere else or gotten a call from another jurisdiction's dispatch that it was actually on us *except* incidents right on the border were it tagged a tower across the line and was automatically routed to their dispatch. Even then they instantly knew it was on us once a human viewed it. Believe what you like. I know how it works.
I am in NC and this is a big issue. Cell calls do not give accurate locations. My wife knows the woman who is making major pushes to get things straightened out due to her husband died from a heart attack and 9/11 could not locate her. The NC highway Patrol just got a system that is supposed to help THEM out, but that doesn't apply for all others from what the news stories have reported.

Krow1ck1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ETorque V6
Does anyone know what is going on?

View attachment 537065

There is a battery drain problem with a number of 2024 Rams (and Wranglers, Grand Cherokees). I bought a new 1500 a month ago and it's died on me twice and had to be towed back to the dealership. They determined that Connected Services was causing the vehicle to constantly wake up.

It's for the best, I wish they had me sign this haha.

Ram1958

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am in Canada and have connected service. AT&T is jn A partnership with Bell to provide WIFI services in Canada. I also have Sirrus Sat here. 2020 1500 Bighorn. I registered an account with AT&T and finally in November 2023 Bell contacted me. Would prefer Telus but not a choice.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I heard you tie a note around a moose's neck and send him to find the nearest mountie. Or maybe I just made it up. I forget which.
Nope don't need to do that ,just drive 22km over the limit and they auto. pop up behind you for a chit chat. Mind you where I use to live , they may be 1 hr away.
I am just happy when the remote start works for me when its cold out.

I could see where it may be OK if you where in trouble, but out in the sticks , does it work? There are places where cell phones don't work.

I may have it? don't know, I have never updated my radio since I bought it new, Have nav, and Sat. radio ( that can be a pita), it does have blue tooth .

Last edited:

DennyBob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 eTorque
I know uconnect s*cks IMO, I’ve had horrible stereo problems, I know a guy with a TReX that has his phone connect, drop, connect, drop, etc. maybe it’s that?

I wonder if it’s the new “Repo mode” thing I read about where higher end vehicles with self driving can drive themselves back to the bank if you miss too many payments.

I won’t buy GM because of Onstar - I don’t want my vehicle tracked or listened in on. Not that I’m that interesting, it’s the principle.
If RAM starts doing that crap, I’ll have to keep mine forever and just restore it when it needs it.