BW 44-46 Transfer Case Fluid Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
there are parts always moving in there. just because your in 2wd it still lubing bearings and lots of stuff. its not even 2 quarts so i change it a lot.

Agreed, but the real work for the fluid is when the clutches are engaged....I think that is when the difference between "correct" and "good enough" would start to show.

Im not saying ATF+4 isnt the answer, I would love it to be, but like you said, its not even 2 quarts so why not use the "correct" stuff?

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Agreed, but the real work for the fluid is when the clutches are engaged....I think that is when the difference between "correct" and "good enough" would start to show.

Im not saying ATF+4 isnt the answer, I would love it to be, but like you said, its not even 2 quarts so why not use the "correct" stuff?
for a 1500 i guess so. but i dont have clutches in my t case.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Be careful with the transfer case model numbers......FCA has changed them around over the years. I'm not an expert, but it goes something like this:

Borg Warner BW44-44 is the "Auto" 4WD transfer case with wet clutches. FCA recommended their own special Mopar witches brew oil for the clutches. You can tell if you have it if you have an "Auto" selector on your 4WD knob.

Borg Warner BW44-46 is part time 4WD transfer case without clutches - it has the old time inverted silent chain drive. Cannot be used on dry pavement. This one can use ATF.

Borg Warner BW44-47 this one I get lost on, not sure what they did. Someone else can chime in.