Cab compatibility

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Underling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
From my research I believe I understand that a megacab is built on an extended cab long bed frame. And also that a regular cab long bed and an extended cab short bed have the same wheelbase. Does that mean that a megacab would fit on a regular cab long bed frame? I see that there are brackets on the regular cab longbed frame to mount the front of the 8’ box. With the knowledge that even a short box would be too long for the remainder of the frame.

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They may be the same length but the extended cab long bed won't have all the cab mounts for the Mega Cab. So it is my professional opinion you won't be able just to bolt it on unless you weld brackets to the frame if needed

OP
OP
U

Underling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I figured the cab mounts would be different and I'm actually wondering if the mega cab will fit on the regular cab long bed frame.

From what I've read, the mega cab with 6'3" bed is built on a quad cab long bed frame, both of which have a 160.5" wheelbase. That said, the (I assume) same quad cab is used on the quad cab short bed which shares the wheelbase of the regular cab long bed at 140.5". This would lead me to believe that the cab of the mega cab was possibly designed in a way that it fits within the same frame constraints as the qclb and if this is the same quad cab design as the one for the qcsb then the mega cab may fit a rclb frame.

Maybe I should ask this way. I'm wondering if the mega cab will fit on the lower section of frame before the frame rises up under the bed? The front of my 8' bed mounts on two tall brackets that come up off of the lower section of frame before the rise. Maybe someone could provide me with a measurement from the front body mounts to the back of the cab, or the back of the cab before a rise in the cab? That way I could measure against my rclb frame. Another measurement that might help would be from the front door seam, by the front quarter panel, to the back of the cab. I'm thinking the back of the cab will be pretty close to where the current wheel well is on the rclb.

MikeG71

U.S. ARMY '02 - '12
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One thing to remember the Ram Quad Cab and Crew Cab are also different sizes (CC has full size doors). I can't really find any other Wheelbase numbers than what I posted above. So I'm not sure what you're finding, but the Mega is at 160" (160.5" for 4wd) so at your 140.5" that is still putting you 19.5" (or 20") short for the wheelbase. You keep comparing the RCLB to the Quad Cab, are you actually referring to the QC or CREW CAB ? Below is a pic of the different Cabs. If memory serves me the CCSB sits on the QCLB frame, which would put the Mega on the CCLB frame. Saying that I don't believe that a Mega will fit on a RCLB (OR QC) frame. At least not with out doing some serious modifications.

71iCZ5KYHGL._SL1269_.jpg

~hopefully if my thinking is completely wrong someone will chime in and say "Shut up Mike, you're an Idiot!" :happy175: