Cabin fan not working...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

salmore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi all.

I searched but unable to find, hopefully it's not a duplicate and I'll really appreciate the help.

I have a 2015 RAM 1500 5.7 rebel.

My cabin fan just stopped working, it makes a ticking sound and seems to spin at a very low speed, when i twist the knob it does accelerate (ticking speed increases) but all happens very slow, barely any air.

I took fan out, tested the voltage on the input and seems to be around 12v, the middle pin, which I'm assuming is one which controls the speed changes output as i twist the knob around 1-3v.

If could be that the fan is burned out, but before i spend the $700 my local dealer is quoting me for now one... I thought I'd ask if anyone knows where the relevant fuse and relays are located so I can rest those first.

I live in Poland in Europe so don't have a big network / access to a large selection of used parts..

Thanks I'm advance!!!

Sent from my CPH2089 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

salmore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Reading through the manual i found that fuse F13 is responsible for "blower motor" and f99 for "HVAC". Maybe one of those? Will check soon... Is there Also some relay somewhere? Could not find info about a relay in manual.

OP
OP
S

salmore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Found on eBay the fans, i believe the part nr is 68214892ac, for around $150 usd including shipping, but will take a 2-3 weeks to get here. Cheaper, but still would love to confirm by checking the basics first, if it needs to be replaced or it's something else.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
OP
OP
S

salmore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good point thanks! I'll do that test tomorrow. The only potential challenge is that my motor has 3 pins, middle one is presumably responsible for mssaging the speed at which it should turn. If there is some issue with that part of it in the motor, ill not be able to diagnose.

Will update.

dwhutch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe the fan speed resistor pac?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am not sure if you have access to Rockauto.com , but they show new blower motors for less than 100 hopefully they can ship to your location . Hope this helps

Jeff Strader

BlackBeauty
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I highly doubt it is the fan itself, more likely it is the fan's RESISTOR is out or about to go out.

OP
OP
S

salmore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am not sure if you have access to Rockauto.com , but they show new blower motors for less than 100 hopefully they can ship to your location . Hope this helps
Thanks! Will look at them, but first I need to confirm this is the problem.

Jeff Strader

BlackBeauty
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Where is it located? How can I test it?

If you look under the glove-box, you will see the Blower motor. Right beside it to the left, you'll see a small flat black panel with two screws. That is the Resistor.

Jeff Strader

BlackBeauty
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you look under the glove-box, you will see the Blower motor. Right beside it to the left, you'll see a small flat black panel with two screws. That is the Resistor. Drop it down and look at it. Usually you will see a burnt discoloration when they have gone out or are about to go out. I 'ALWAYS' replace the Fan Resistor first (it's far cheaper than a blower motor) before I replace the blower motor itself, because 95% of the time, its the Resistor that's gone out.

resistor.jpeg

Jeff Strader

BlackBeauty
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
First pic is of a good Resistor, the second pic is a burned out resistor. Notice the discoloration of of the brass leads.

ramresisitor.jpg
burned resistor.jpg

OP
OP
S

salmore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you look under the glove-box, you will see the Blower motor. Right beside it to the left, you'll see a small flat black panel with two screws. That is the Resistor. Drop it down and look at it. Usually you will see a burnt discoloration when they have gone out or are about to go out. I 'ALWAYS' replace the Fan Resistor first (it's far cheaper than a blower motor) before I replace the blower motor itself, because 95% of the time, its the Resistor that's gone out.

View attachment 228325
I've looked but cannot locate the resistor.. the flat panel with two "screws" on your picture is in mine too but they are not screws but screw like nipples made from plastic and permanently part of the flat surface. I also can put my hand through the hole where the motor was to find that on the other side of this panel there is nothing... Maybe one you refer to was a different year ?

Any other suggestions? I will connect the motor to battery directly next, to see if motor works.

Here is picture of what it looks like down there for me. 8c9e7a95e79bdfc98a8196bf819073dd.jpg

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Salmore, I found this video on You Tube Does your fam look like this one ?? If so the resistor is on the blower fan ! Hope it helps

OP
OP
S

salmore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Salmore, I found this video on You Tube Does your fam look like this one ?? If so the resistor is on the blower fan ! Hope it helps

Yes. Looks more like this one. And I'm being told you cannot just plug it directly to battery to test it...

So... Based on this video it seems you need to replace the whole thing as resistor is part of it... So i think I have to just hope for best and buy a new motor....

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’m not 100% but from looking ,it appears that the resister is now integrated into the blower motor itself ! This is why it’s not showing on any parts sites ,or on your truck. However I I have also seen that amazon carries the blower, and thought this might be a replacement option. Good luck.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Yes. Looks more like this one. And I'm being told you cannot just plug it directly to battery to test it...

So... Based on this video it seems you need to replace the whole thing as resistor is part of it... So i think I have to just hope for best and buy a new motor....

Salmore,
Please update when you solve this ! I have a 2015 so I assume I may have that 1 piece blower ! I will check when it warms up , Right now it is 28* F
Great post as sooner or later we will have the same issue !