CAI for '19

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hsters19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Anyone running a cold air intake on their 19 PW?

tpk0999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So far theres nothing out there

The only one being produced as I know of is SB filters. Should be coming out soon. I've been bugging the **** out of them. AFE didnt give any timeframe.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tpk0999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Part number for this model is 75-5133. I'm calling tomorrow to see if I can pre order. (Its not on their site yet)

Ernie Espinoza

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Save your money….. A CAI on the PW will do nothing for performance. All you might get is a better sounding engine on acceleration. Your MPG’s will stay the same. You will not get any noticeable extra HP nor torque. Only way you will get something out of the CAI is if you add exhaust and a programmer.

tpk0999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not going to argue semantics. I've always added exhaust, headers, intake, and a tune to my vehicles. To me, exhaust and intake have always given enough gain for me to always start with those 2 first and foremost

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
But the problem is that the new intake brings in cold air directly from the top of the grille. How much colder air do you want than that?

tpk0999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
But the problem is that the new intake brings in cold air directly from the top of the grille. How much colder air do you want than that?
One thing about sb filters is they dont post anything about hp or tq gain. Its efficiency over stock gained so I'll wait till the data comes out on it.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One thing about sb filters is they dont post anything about hp or tq gain. Its efficiency over stock gained so I'll wait till the data comes out on it.

if they dont post gain results, its because there isnt any. Plain and simple.

tpk0999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Afe , k&n, and most companies will post xx hp xx tq great and all but no other data. I've always enjoyed my cai. Noticed a difference in my 2016 6.4l. Wasnt a huge difference but it was enough that I enjoyed it and will put a new one on the 19 when they come around. To each their own. 1 of the many things planned for this truck.

Flea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Did a huge write up on CAI a while back in the ramRebel.org forum ...

wish I could find it and not have to retype this. So, here is a summarized version.

Regardless of ambient temperature, ambient temperature is always going to be cooler than the engine compartment. Otherwise, you sir, are driving in hell.

Manufacturers normally have a cooler location to pull from outside the engine compartment, such as the wheel well ... if you notice, oem air intakes are normally closed systems within the engine compartment.

So, here are my basic thoughts.
HP/Torque at the crank vs drive axle are approximate loss or gain of 15-20% ... ??

10-15 HP is probably difficult to note with all the variables, but screw colder air ... the real benefit is better air flow.

I have seen it argued countless times “a manufacturer would never leave an easy 15hp on the table”. They ABSOLUTELY would. All those baffles, and noise dampening research that manufacturers put into these vehicles, appeals to the masses. The majority of customers could care less about this entire topic and would prefer to drive their vehicles as intended from the factory.

I prefer to hear the engine and will always try to improve airflow if possible.

I know the 19 is pulling from the same (area) the ram airs are pulling from for the 5.7s, which I think is great, but I will try and remove the baffles and dampeners between that and the throttle body as soon as someone comes out with a viable one.

TexasAMFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just ordered the afe from summit, but manufacturer is out of stock till 2/28!

tpk0999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just ordered the afe from summit, but manufacturer is out of stock till 2/28!
I thought it said 1/21 ship. Crazy. Spoke with SB and their intake is in final testing. Kinda delayed especially since they said itll be shipping end of dec/ early jan. Oh well

tpk0999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm giving SB a shot this time around. I liked my afe intake, quality materials. Not like a cheap kn&n. They're unqouted price should be around 299-320. Quite a bit cheaper than afe and their intakes perform better statistically.

ttusomeone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm sure this opens a can of worms, but what's the real story on CAI? Does it really make a different outside of possibly a better sound? I have a magnaflow cat back exhaust, but that's the only performance mod I have and was planning to make. Would I notice a gas mileage and/or HP difference? I've read it both ways, and read from people that the truck was programmed for the resistance the stock intake gives so better airflow could actually make it perform worse. Seems logical. Thoughts?

tpk0999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm sure this opens a can of worms, but what's the real story on CAI? Does it really make a different outside of possibly a better sound? I have a magnaflow cat back exhaust, but that's the only performance mod I have and was planning to make. Would I notice a gas mileage and/or HP difference? I've read it both ways, and read from people that the truck was programmed for the resistance the stock intake gives so better airflow could actually make it perform worse. Seems logical. Thoughts?
It's based on the same philosophy of an exhaust. It's just noise noise unless you change air in, fuel, spark, exhaust. Usually changed with a tune. Changing individual peices, intake, exhaust will cause your engine to burn lean. Your computer should adjust fuel to a degree but you will see the biggest net gain with all 3 changed.

OP
OP
hsters19

hsters19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks to all for the input, leaning towards the AFE.

tpk0999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks to all for the input, leaning towards the AFE.
Solid choice. I'm holding off for the SB filter. Comparing intakes from afe vs sb (2014-2017 6.4l) AFE, SB outperforms it by 10-15% flow rate. The numbers for the 2019 is more staggering than I thought it was going to be on the afe. So I'll wait till the sb comes out to compare. I can wait. Also. Sb pricing will be 299-320 vs AFE 440.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Last edited:

tpk0999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just ordered the S&B intake. Should be here next week.