calibrate the lane changing warning system to include trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cactusmonkey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I am going to calibrate the lane changing warning system to include the trailer. I know that many of you have done it and wondered if there is any tips you may have. My understanding is that I find an empty lot and turn in circles twice in both directions. Any help will be appreciated.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I have not taken my new trailer out long enough to worry about this yet. but I am subscribed to this thread!

clayinfla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi - no etorque
All you need to do is make a sharp turn. It calibrates each time you hook up the trailer. Starts with the symbol on, a gradual turn shows 20 feet, then a sharp turn shows 30. Stays calibrated until you disconnect.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I think on mine you can set it from the settings screen or it estimates the length after a turn or two and the length it comes up with will show on the dash. mine says 30' for my 28' trailer..I usually have a bicycle rack on the back bumper of my trailer so the total is probably pretty close to 30'. I like seeing the warning in the side mirrors letting me know when it is clear to change lanes.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
Do you all have the tow mirrors?

OP
OP
C

Cactusmonkey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
yes we have the tow mirrors that auto fold this is a great system I did see the symbol that shows 30ft or max

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
I do not have the tow mirrors but it still finds my trailer length. Luckily my TT is skinny :)

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
I have a Gulf Stream Vintage Cruiser 19ERD, comes in at 7'6" wide. The Lane Keeps works great. When I leave my neighborhood I make a left and a right and it calculates the trailer to be 20' (sets zone to 30').

With the width of these standard mirrors and the sonar it works great

OP
OP
C

Cactusmonkey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
we pulled a 7.6 wide winnebago 22ft and it was fantastic. we now pull a 27ft 8ft wide Outdoors RV, we love the trailer but wish it pulled as well as the old one did.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
We went the other way... 34 down to the 22 :)

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
Do you all have the tow mirrors?

yes but I dont tow with them flipped up..I have started just flipping them up when I back in..that way I can see better down the sides of the trailer.

OP
OP
C

Cactusmonkey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I towed with them up and got use to it. The only thing is I have to readust them when I pull them back down.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
so you can use those buttons for the mirrors instead of the seat..do you just go to settings and reallocate them?

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When another driver sets the seat and mirrors and sets memory "2", tnen their settings are saved for when they are driving and press the "2" button.
I pulla full width(8'-4") and don't use tow mirrors, but the blindspot still sets my trailer length properly. The setting is automatic when you make a turn after hooking up and taking a corner.

OP
OP
C

Cactusmonkey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It is a fantastic feature When I pull the travel trailer it knows 30 ft, when I pull the utility trailer it knows it is 20 ft. I don't have to do a thing.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
so you can use those buttons for the mirrors instead of the seat..do you just go to settings and reallocate them?

Technically you can set them both the same. It just remembers where everything is at when you save it. So yes.

Basically you set everything up with mirrors down and save #1
Then put put up the mirrors and move them to see, but do not move the seat save #2

#1 will be set to mirror down
#2 will be set to mirror up
Seat will remain in the same position. Well unless you moved the seat but then it will just move it back to the set point remembered :)