Cam install on ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Romero0817

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 5.7
Hey guys I have a 2013 ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi I took it in to get a stage 2 cam install but now it doesn’t run good. My dash lit up like a Christmas tree and it dies when I come to a stop. Don’t know if it’s a issue with the tune or something else. My truck is back at the shop but their stumped on what the problem could be. Would really appreciate any help I can get. Thank you

OP
OP
Romero0817

Romero0817

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 5.7
This is the list of codes it popped up after the install.

Attachments

• 2EDD2378-9C71-4A68-AEE4-7AD26AAB6BD1.png
    2EDD2378-9C71-4A68-AEE4-7AD26AAB6BD1.png
    278.8 KB · Views: 10

HTXRamExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did the shop do the tune as well?

You could try reaching out to some of the well known Ram tuners Jay Greene, Hemifever, Flyin' Ryan, etc... see if they might be able to offer any insight/re-tune.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hey guys I have a 2013 ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi I took it in to get a stage 2 cam install but now it doesn’t run good. My dash lit up like a Christmas tree and it dies when I come to a stop. Don’t know if it’s a issue with the tune or something else. My truck is back at the shop but their stumped on what the problem could be. Would really appreciate any help I can get. Thank you
There are quite a few things that can cause P000B. It could be a failed VCT Solenoid which is in the block under the intake manifold. What I am leaning towards and what I see most often is the timing is set incorrectly or they have something off in the tune.

Do you know exactly which camshaft was installed?

Is the cam ground on a 5.7 base circle or a 6.1 base circle?

Is your shop using HP Tuners to tune the truck or are they using CMR?

If they are using HP Tuners ask them to email you a copy of the tune and the most recent log. That way you could send it to another tuner to have a look see and I could look at it and see if they have something off in the cam timing or something else.

OP
OP
Romero0817

Romero0817

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 5.7
Yes the shop works with hp tuners. For the cam install they installed a Texas speed cam with lifters rods gaskets basically the whole set up. They told me a couple days ago it could be my ibs sensor that’s out and that’s what’s not letting my pcm communicate with any of my other electronics. I’m thinking it has to be an electrical issue or tune because my truck was running fine when I dropped off. I also have a video of what it was doing before I dropped it off.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yes the shop works with hp tuners. For the cam install they installed a Texas speed cam with lifters rods gaskets basically the whole set up. They told me a couple days ago it could be my ibs sensor that’s out and that’s what’s not letting my pcm communicate with any of my other electronics. I’m thinking it has to be an electrical issue or tune because my truck was running fine when I dropped off. I also have a video of what it was doing before I dropped it off.
Did you mean to type ABS Sensor like an ABS Speed Sensor? That is causing the truck to run poorly? I have had several issues before when installing Texas speed camshafts and pushrods. I am in no way calling Texas Speeds parts a problem because they make great stuff for us. What I am referring to is that there have been several instances where the shop performing the work has installed the incorrect length pushrods. More than likely, if they have the cam timing marks correct, and after looking back over some of my recent notes the pushrods may be too long causing the valves to stay open. I had an issue just like this a few months ago.

Ask them to remove the rocker covers and roll the motor over to verify that the valves are closing all of the way. Have them put cylinder #1 on TDC and then loosen the rockers to see if there is still pressure on the valve stem. If so, the pushrods are too long and holding the valves open.

There are a few things that need to be verified by the shop who performed the install. If you cannot get any help from the shop send me a message. Im on the south side of Dallas in Waxahachie.