Cam issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparornocar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2011 1500 with the 5.7 with 250k km on the clock. Just recently my truck has been misfiring. I plugged it into a scanner and found that there was multiple cylinders misfiring but cylinder #5 was misfiring the most. So I replaced the plugs and coil pack on #5 and it’s still misfiring. The truck is also really down on power. Is my cam on its way out? I would really appreciate some advice.

Mohamed Albana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
There is no way you can’t hear it? it’s almost very obvious I heard one in traffic under load and was like Ik what it sounds like in person now. Sounds like a ford with blown spark plug

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 1500 with the 5.7 with 250k km on the clock. Just recently my truck has been misfiring. I plugged it into a scanner and found that there was multiple cylinders misfiring but cylinder #5 was misfiring the most. So I replaced the plugs and coil pack on #5 and it’s still misfiring. The truck is also really down on power. Is my cam on its way out? I would really appreciate some advice.
Probably is the cam/lifters. Pull the valve cover on that side and run it. If #5 is the culprit then it will be barely move compared to the others. When I lost the cam/lifters in my 2015 years ago it was #5 that crapped out on me as well.

Dalt10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I just got the code too for #5 cylinder miss fire. I can hear the lifers making noise but it's not very loud. I did the same by replacing all the plugs and the coil on number 5. Didn't change anything. Mine has lost power too. I just bought a set of OEM lifters and a stock Hemi Melling cam. Using all Felpro gaskets and head bolts(I've used them for 25-30 years and never had any problems. Starting to tear it down next week. Should be fun. I'm older now (63) so it will be a little harder than it used to be.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got the code too for #5 cylinder miss fire. I can hear the lifers making noise but it's not very loud. I did the same by replacing all the plugs and the coil on number 5. Didn't change anything. Mine has lost power too. I just bought a set of OEM lifters and a stock Hemi Melling cam. Using all Felpro gaskets and head bolts(I've used them for 25-30 years and never had any problems. Starting to tear it down next week. Should be fun. I'm older now (63) so it will be a little harder than it used to be.
Make sure you check the VVT solenoid once you get the intake off. I think dodge calls it the "oil control valve," but it's the same thing. If THAT shows any contamination from wear metals, then you probably need to go with a whole new motor

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yeah, you need to verify if there are metal shavings before even option for a cam swap, oil control valve is the correct spot to verify as it is right before the engine. Vision inspection or compression test on 5, assuming you ruled out everything else plugs, injectors, coils, etc.,

Dalt10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I heard that before about checking the VVT. My son owns his own shop and has did a few of these. I've built a lot of motors in my day. Just been a few years. I'll be checking everything out. Thanks

Sillygoose

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is it possible for the vvt solenoid to not have metal shavings in it when a cam lobe is ground down?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is it possible for the vvt solenoid to not have metal shavings in it when a cam lobe is ground down?
Almost every camshaft I replace always has something in the vvt but since im not paranoid I flush engine out and move on with new cam/lifters few oil changes after have yet to blow a motor because of it.

Sillygoose

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Almost every camshaft I replace always has something in the vvt but since im not paranoid I flush engine out and move on with new cam/lifters few oil changes after have yet to blow a motor because of it.
that's what i'm getting at.

Dalt10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Finished my cam and lifters last week. #5 lobe was worn out and the roller was stuck and did not roll. VVT had a very small amount of shavings. Changed it out. I've put a few hundred miles on it since the work was done. So far running good.