Cameras are our friends....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It seems as of late several of us have had our vehicles damaged. I for one had cameras front & rear in my one vehicle. I have since received another one to install into the next vehicle. For me it’s peace of mind as even when I was not around, it was physically and vocally recording.

Now I am not an officer, nor involved with law so take this as you may. This could be the difference between you being at fault, or proven your point. I know some will say the cost is too much and I agree. But for me it was peace of mind. :)
6a6cc9b2d92b828090e4358acd028401.jpg

Father Of Four

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
interested. Whats the picture like. I should really have one

OP
OP
DRkNESS

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The pictures/ videos are clear and will allow you to identify most of what you need to.

Father Of Four

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
ill have to look into it.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Roger that! They do come in handy at times, either to protect yourself or to witness something for others.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really want a dash cam but only if it’s hardwired in. I read the diy wire install but it was kinda confusing.

Any wiring tips?

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
I did lots of research on dash cameras, and had one for the past 4 years. The DoD brand is pretty good and high end as far as the dash cams go. It's not a generic Chinese brand, it's the real deal. Lots of good reviews on Amazon. The earlier model I had lasted 4 years, until dropped it and now the screen isn't working, but camera still works. I got the new model now. I personally highly recommend DoD

DOD TECH DOD-LS470W+ LS Sony Exmor Powered Full HD Dash Camera & GPS Logging with Polarizing Filter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DCX8ATE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_bbYsAb8P93YHV

http://www.dod-tech.us

You have to remove it every time you park outside, otherwise some homeless or crackhead will smash your window to sell it on the corner for $10.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Roger that! They do come in handy at times, either to protect yourself or to witness something for others.

Amen.

I got hit a few years back, the other driver told the responding office I pulled into his lane. With no witnesses, it was his word against mine. In Michigan, I could have been found fully responsible for the collision or at best, 50% responsible. When the officer spoke to me, he told me the other driver said I pulled into his lane causing the collision. I showed him the few second video from my dash-cam.

I run the Cowon dashcam which has a wifi interface to my phone allowing me to show the video on demand.

https://imgur.com/s1lUngy

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's an accident I caught on mine... I've actually caught 3 accidents, total, over the past 4 years.

MikeinNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a $70 one that is great. When my truck is at the dealer weekly I get to watch the footage of them letting it idle for 2 hours and driving it to Wendy's on their breaks.
Seriously? I'm pretty tolerant of things, and could maybe forgive a trip to the local fast food joint, but if was multiple "offenses", somebody would be hearing about it!

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP with a cam like that how well can you see the rear cam and whats is behind the vehicle? reason i ask is all vehicles are different so some all you may get is the rear seat?

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have dash cameras in both my vehicles. I got some cheap ones from ebay for $50.00 and they work great. I would caution you, however, about using a GPS camera that shows your speed. They are not reliable and may be used against you if it shows you going faster/slower than you actually were. The video and time stamp is more than enough. Just my thoughts. I am SHOCKED that dash cameras aren't already standard stock items in new cars.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've been running a Z3 Dash Cam for several years now...for the specific purpose of covering myself in a the event of a crash. For $100 it is good piece of mind. Haven't had to pull any video yet...so thats good.

I highly recommend one. Mine isn't hard wired...but I run an extension to the cig lighter input in the back seat. I want it (and my Garmin GPS) on I just flip a switch. Works great.

Skubasteve!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought 2 taotronics dash cams off amazon, one for my truck, one for my wifes accord. They were around $50/piece and have done everything Ive needed for 2 years now.

I also have headphones from the same brand and have had no issues. I know you typically get what you pay for, but for me, these have been an exception.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have dash cameras in both my vehicles. I got some cheap ones from ebay for $50.00 and they work great. I would caution you, however, about using a GPS camera that shows your speed. They are not reliable and may be used against you if it shows you going faster/slower than you actually were. The video and time stamp is more than enough. Just my thoughts. I am SHOCKED that dash cameras aren't already standard stock items in new cars.

Your travel speed stamped on the dash-cam video can be helpful also. I typically do not speed, really no reason to since most of the roads (SE Michigan) have very reasonable limits and of course traffic, something I just flow with. If you look at the video I posted in post 8, you can see my travel speed in the lower left of the video. Well, the responding officer saw my speed which was one MPH over the posted speed. Notice how fast the vehicle that hit me was traveling, well, after a view of the video, the office wrote the other driver an additional ticket, excessive speed.

I have not tried every dash-cam out there, I have a Cobra, a Cowon AW1, and a Garmin, all of them, there GPSs work very well.