Camper Shell?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sled Freak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm also toying with the idea of buying a topper for my ram. While I dont really care for the look of them, having one would make life much easier with 2 large dogs. I enjoy taking them with me to diffenent places but I dread the mess in the cab after the trip. I've found a couple used ones, although the 5'.7 caps are rare in the used market. I was also considering a soft topper but the only company that I can find that makes one for my box is US based and have to order direct. Being from Canada that isnt a cheap option.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Once you get passed the "old man" look and reputation of a camper shell, they are pretty practical, especially if you live in an area that has lots of rain or snow. They do a great job of keeping your stuff dry and secure. If you get a bed rug with the shell they are also great for camping(sleeping in the bed) I've had both camper shells and fiberglass tonneau covers. If you haul stuff I think hands down that the camper shell would be the best bet. With a fiberglass tonneau anything over about 24" tall, you can't close the top. I do however think that the tonneau looks a little better--more "sportier" if that is a concern. Neither option is cheap, if you get a quality shell or tonneau, painted to match and with all the other bells and whistles.
Jay

BruceMorgan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Once you get passed the "old man" look and reputation of a camper shell, they are pretty practical, especially if you live in an area that has lots of rain or snow. They do a great job of keeping your stuff dry and secure. If you get a bed rug with the shell they are also great for camping(sleeping in the bed) I've had both camper shells and fiberglass tonneau covers. If you haul stuff I think hands down that the camper shell would be the best bet. With a fiberglass tonneau anything over about 24" tall, you can't close the top. I do however think that the tonneau looks a little better--more "sportier" if that is a concern. Neither option is cheap, if you get a quality shell or tonneau, painted to match and with all the other bells and whistles.
Jay
Neither are cheap but the cap is much more. I have the highest end paint matched Undercover tonneau and it was $1300 installed. I had a quote from a large local retailer for a middle-high end Leer cap at $2700.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Once you get passed the "old man" look and reputation of a camper shell, they are pretty practical, especially if you live in an area that has lots of rain or snow. They do a great job of keeping your stuff dry and secure.
I had a buddy tell me that about my Leer 100XL cap. Several months later he was calling me up asking me if I would help him move some stuff as he didn't want it to get wet...I told him it will take a while for my "old man" truck to get there...LOL
Very rarely have I ran into a situation where having a cap prohibited me from hauling something. One nice thing about having a cap, I can leave the rear cab window open in the summer for ventilation and it hard to tell that it's open.

17Delmonico

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you guys removing the plastic topper that sits on top of the bed rails? In the pictures it looks like the piece is removed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just checked mine, and the railing cap is still on. The shell just sits on top of that.

For me, the truck is much less useful without the cap. I go camping once a month, and I have gear (not just mine) piled up to the roof of the cap. I really don't want a dozen sleeping bags and backpacks exposed in an open bed during a rainstorm or snow, cruising down the highway...

There are quite a few other occasions where I have gear in the truck that I don't want exposed and/or I need to pile things higher than the bed rails.

At 46, I'm in that middle range where I'm not an "old man" yet, but I'm old enough where I don't give a crap what people think about how my truck looks... :p:cool::banana-mario::)

Mossybloak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Outdoorsman
IMG_20181220_155340.jpg

$500 used on CL and $600 to paint. It's a pearl coat so paint was a little more. A must have for inclement weather states. Snugtop with the rail system.

Last edited:

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
ARE Z model on both my 11 and 16. 1800 for the 11 in 11. 2100 for the 16 in 16. Options same. Folding rear window for cleaning, color matched, wind out rear windows, lined and lights inside.

David Nelson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2016 Laramie Ecodiesel, crew cab with the really short bed. I've been toying with the idea of a camper shell. The problem is that none of the sites give a price and ask me to contact them. Has anyone bought one? What did it cost?
I literally just ordered a Leer camper shell for my 2014 with the 6’ bed. It cost $2400 with a roof rack, sliding fold down window, interior carpet, and installation. The ARE was about $300 more expensive.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Caps have gotten stupid expensive.
I bought a Leer with flush mounted glass & carpeted interior for my ‘99 in ‘00, price was $850 brand new, that same cap is almost $2g now.

My ‘14 is granite crystal, I found someone selling a Century cab high on CL for $300, I met him in the parking lot of Cabelas and swapped it over. It’s mineral grey so it’s fairly close till I get around to spraying it.

Sled Freak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Used 6.4 caps are a dime a dozen around here, it's the 5.7 that are the unicorns.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had a couple of shells, a Leer and a Snug Top. Both were decent shells, both painted to match the truck, both had the fold down front window and had carpet. The problem with both is that the windows leaked. They can be very useful if you haul a lot of stuff you want to keep dry and secure. A lot of the guys on here laugh at the shells and think you have to be at least 60 years old to consider one--although I disagree. If you get a name brand , all decked out your going to be somewhere between $2000 and $2500 I think. They may be a bit more now.
Jay
I actually prefer the look of a Ram truck with a matching FG cap, but I prefer the function of a folding cover. The folding cover allows me better visibilty and the cab does not feel so dark.

I did like the cap when I had a dog. She did too!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

fourpoint7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can relate to this tread. Truck caps sounds just like my moonviser on my 1995 dodge ram. To those who don't know what a moonviser is, it's a fiberglass visor with 5 amber running lights. It sits on top of the truck roof above the windsheld. They were very popular back in the 60's and 70's. 2 years after I bought the truck three of the lights burned out and I couldn't find any replacement lenses for it. All the wiring became corroded and the whole thing needed to be replaced. I finally found a company on line in Georgia. Called them up and told the lady I was looking for replacement lenses for my moonviser. First thing she asked me, "was I the original owner of the moonviser?" I told her I owned the truck for 15 years. Second thing she asked me- "What is my address". I gave it to her and asked why? She said no body wants moonvisor's anymore and their not popular anymore. 4 days later, she sent me 2 brand new rebuilding kits for the viser. All brand new wiring, bulb holders, amber lenses, screws, and all tie downs. Over $80 dollars a kit- For free. I was and still am stund. What a nice lady.

Copr93647

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Gas
I have a 2016 Ram 2500 SLT 4X4 and I put a paint matched, carpet lined Snugtop on it. $2400 installed out the door from a local dealer. Then I found out I could have driven 200 miles to Snugtop in Long Beach, CA and bought it for $1500...installation is quick and easy. I liked the Leer a lot but the Ram tailgate has a strange shape and the Snugtop had the best fit for that.

Ofishl1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0l ecodiesel
Bought an ARE Z series with Wing vents, front sldier/fold down full carpet kit from MOPAR and carpeted shell with LEDs overheard and power outlets at the rear, would not be without it, doubles my bed capacity and keeps everything where it should be ..dry especially on a ELK hunt with 2 blizzards...was Z series is topline..$2500 loaded.

RAM w ARE Z series.JPG

Last edited:

NormB

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 SLT
Engine
Cummins 6.7L TD
On my wishlist for sure.

I bought a LEER XR (single locking handle center) cap for my Tacoma in 2009, swapped it over to a new Tacoma in 2014. Shoulda thought to measure for fit to the RAM, but I‘ve seen several LEER and ARE models for sale on Craigslist and fakebook marketplace for $500-$1000.

Fold-down front window was handy a few times, not a deal-killer if it‘s not there. Unless you‘re a fanatic about a spotless truck you might use it once every few years. Mostly with road dirt and tint on the rear match glass I couldn‘t see much through three layers of glass anyway.

Inside lighting I‘ll do myself. I paid for it originally and it only worked when other lights were on, found a flashlight more functional/practical. Paid around $1500 new in 2009, sure they‘re pricier now.

Missed one last week “by THAT much” just a few miles from my house for $700.

They’re out there. Good hunting. Weidmannsheil!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Inside lighting I‘ll do myself. I paid for it originally and it only worked when other lights were on, found a flashlight more functional/practical.
Most of the factory topper lighting is paltry at best. I added LED tape lights to the top of my LEER 100XL. It's powered by the +12V from the 7 pin trailer plug wiring.

Having a removable/fold down front window is extremely helpful for cleaning the back of the cab.fd2eaea7e630857bb09ca9b87fa64fd2.jpeg

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bought an ARE Z series with Wing vents, front sldier/fold down full carpet kit from MOPAR and carpeted shell with LEDs overheard and power outlets at the rear, would not be without it, doubles my bed capacity and keeps everything where it should be ..dry especially on a ELK hunt with 2 blizzards...was Z series is topline..$2500 loaded.

View attachment 150779

That really looks good!!!!
Jay

NormB

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 SLT
Engine
Cummins 6.7L TD
HMMWV light strips. 24v. Keep thinking I’ll get around to splitting some 3/8 or 1/2” clear lexan pipe to make covers for them. 962b929d0d143fe65a98a5825fdd847e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I added a SnugTop Rebel to my 2018 LL. Water tight during the worst of rainstorms and car washes, well constructed and gets the job done. Cost was $2200 which I felt was steep but it is the best I’ve ever owned - and I’ve owned several including Leer, ATC, Raider, and others. They all are good in one way or another but I feel the SnugTop is the best constructed - of the ones I’ve owned. Added a Bedrug and use Volkswagen hold down units (they are called cargo blocks) that have Velcro on the bottom to hold loads in place. They stick perfectly to the Bedrug but are easily movable to the dimensions of the load you are carrying in the back.

IMG_0600%20-%20Copy.jpg

Last edited: