Can’t fill my Ram Truck with Gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rw8531

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi v8
I am unable to fill My 2020 Dodge Ram 1500 up with gas… the pump continues to shut off ….. If Ram new about this problem why has nothing been done about it????

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Need A little more info to try to help. How long has it been doing this? Does it do it on a slow manual fiil, or just on the triggered automatic fill. There is an anti siphon device in the filler neck that could be trouble. You may need to have a mechanic scope the filler neck for obstructions.

chayden

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the same problem occasionally. Not sure if the backpressure sensing of the gas pumps or a vapor issue with the trucks tank. Either way it is a PITA but I've found a solution: get a bunch of those heavy duty straws (thick stiff ones) you get from Jack in the Box or Starbucks. Slip one between the filler nozzle gizmo and your tank fill point when gassing up if its being finicky or just hold it up with your finger. Allows for the pressure to bleed off enough that it doesn't continually trip it thinking the tank is full. Just keep an eye on it so you don't spill, but it still seems to cut off at the right time when I have had to do it. Costco seems to be the worst.
The dealer is going to be useless as they say they can't replicate or find a problem. Just like they can't figure out how to scale the gas gauge for the 32 gallon tank after all these years. Mine says Empty with nearly 8 gallons left in it.

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Well documented issue, resulting from topping off the tank, no fix from RAM :(. It appears that you may need to have the tank replaced. You can try other components first. Might get lucky. Check this thread

Ney76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My son’s 2020 Big Horn did the same thing. Had the tank replaced a month or so ago. No problems anymore. Warranty paid for it all

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the same problem occasionally. Not sure if the backpressure sensing of the gas pumps or a vapor issue with the trucks tank. Either way it is a PITA but I've found a solution: get a bunch of those heavy duty straws (thick stiff ones) you get from Jack in the Box or Starbucks. Slip one between the filler nozzle gizmo and your tank fill point when gassing up if its being finicky or just hold it up with your finger. Allows for the pressure to bleed off enough that it doesn't continually trip it thinking the tank is full. Just keep an eye on it so you don't spill, but it still seems to cut off at the right time when I have had to do it. Costco seems to be the worst.
The dealer is going to be useless as they say they can't replicate or find a problem. Just like they can't figure out how to scale the gas gauge for the 32 gallon tank after all these years. Mine says Empty with nearly 8 gallons left in it.
With respect, this is a terrible idea. Modifying deliver rates of an auto-shutoff type nozzle will impede it's ability to shut off. Those nozzles depend on several factors to do their jobs safely/reliably. One of those is flow rate. On a worn or defective nozzle, a slow delivery rate will indeed result in the nozzle not shutting off, resulting in a spill. In a lot of jurisdictions these spills are the financial responsibility of the person filling. Not to mention the fire hazard you will create with even just a small spill. I can go on at length regarding the subject as this was my industry for MANY years. Fixing the truck issue is the resolution. For the safety and well being of all, don't employ this idea.

DaPurrs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 e-Torque
my 21 will click the pump off if I insert the gas nozzle in all the way. I find that once I put it in all the way, just then take the pump out half an inch. It wont spill or anything but then will pump gas in just fine until full when it clicks.

Bill A

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had the same problem on a Ford Escape a few years ago. Took it in and dealer said they fixed it but didn't. I took it back and asked for a specific mechanic that I knew outside of his work. He assessed the issue and discovered that the fill tube which was welded to the tank was crimped. They ordered a new tank, problem solved.