2018 RAM 1500 Fuel Tank Fill Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheKid7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
My regular cab 2018 RAM 1500 2WD is starting to have fuel tank fill issues again. Some time back I had this issue and the Dealer (Under Warranty) replaced the fuel fill nozzle first followed by replacing the fuel tank. Now the vehicle is out of Warranty and the problem started again.

When I first start filling with the minimum flow possible, I can hear the nozzle fill up. If I keep repeating trying to add to the tank it will over flow.

I went to a different gas station. This time I would fill until the nozzle fills up/clicks off. Wait about 30 seconds for the nozzle to drain down and repeat a few times. Eventually, I could fill the truck (minimum hand pressure only) at an extremely low flow rate of maybe around 30 seconds/0.1 gallons.

Note: Normally I never top off the tank once the fuel nozzle clicks off.

My other 2018 Truck has been showing some hints of the same issue. I have never had any work done on its tank.

Note: Since New, both RAM trucks could never handle more than the lowest gas pump fill setting.

What does the fuel tank check valve look like? This may be a bad idea, but would it be feasible to use a new piece of stiff vacuum hose, run it down the fill nozzle to bump/unstick the fuel tank's check valve? I have never done this.

What is the best/recommended way to investigate/correct this issue?

Thanks in Advance.

I just found this a few minutes after making this post. It applies to a Cummins Diesel but should work for Gasoline. Any comments?

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have to say that for liquid to enter the tank, air has to escape

Try filling a soda bottle rapidly using your faucet, you can't do it, because the air keeps the water out

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd have a look at the charcoal canister and it's assorted vent valves etc.

Mine works fine, but my dad was having identical issues with his F250. I forget if he replaced the whole canister or just a valve on it but the valve had gotten water in it and wasn't functioning properly. No codes were present, either.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have heard others mention this issue but my 2017 is fine.

I never fill any vehicle with anything other than the lowest pump setting though.

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the same issue with my 2018...............even on the lowest setting it clicks off about 20 times per half tank!:confused:

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
This seems to be an issue with the vent line. Should be a pretty easy fix. I had a similar issue with my 08 Ram a few years ago. Once I replaced the vent line is was fine filling up. I dont believe this would be an issue with the canister however... Change out the rubber hoses goin too and from the tank and near the fuel cap.

OP
OP
T

TheKid7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I have not recently crawled under my truck, but I seem to remember some sort of vent line with a filter on it somewhere near the fill neck. Is that the filter that needs to be checked?

I just realized that a fuel system problem with my other RAM Truck (Extended Cab built on 11/3/2017) is a known issue. Have trouble getting gas pump nozzle out after fill. Truck is out of bumper to bumper warranty now so I guess that I will just have to live with the problem unless I pay to have a new fill nozzle/neck installed. I just filled this Truck at Wally World and did not have any fuel click offs that I normally experience at many other gas stations.

Now for the Truck with the fill rate problem (RAM Regular Cab built on 2/13/2018). I tried to fill again at a different gas station and the problem is still there. I purchased a tool (I haven't tested this tool yet.) to try to make extremely low fill rates less stressful/painful for my hands. I know the problem needs to be addressed/fixed rather than trying to live with the problem.

New Tool:

Some history of the 2018 RAM Regular Cab built on 2/13/2018: Just over two years ago the fill nozzle/line was first replaced followed by replacing the fuel tank. Since I had no issues with putting the fill nozzle in and out both before and after the fill nozzle/line replacement, I suspect that the factory installed fill nozzle/line may have been the newer type which has the correct angle.

15 Handicap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Blue Streak Pearl Coat 3.6
There is a TSB on the filler neck. Mine was replaced under warr. kept doing it, next was tank replacement. That took care of it, was told that when you fill the tank when it shuts off DO NOT TOP IT OFF. Sorry but that's how I was told.

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was told the same thing. Apparently when you do the excess gas that you try to squeeze in backs up into the charcoal canister and messes with the vents. I used to do it. But after the new tank and filler neck install, first click and I’m done. No issues since.

JLEONARD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Just had my second tank in two years replaced last week. The one they install under warranty had a 20k or two year warranty on it. I was out of factory warranty when the second was done but it still fell under the tank itself's warranty.

Keifus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
It sounds like the charcoal canister or the vent solenoids are bad not the gas tank. With the vent solenoids there should be 2 one on the engine and one by the gas tank close to the charcoal canister those are usually the first ones to go out. What they do is release any pressure buildup from the tank. You can easily test these with a 12v power supply. Just connect the neutral with neutral then listen for a click when you make contact with the hot wire if there’s no click it’s no good and how to check your charcoal canister to see if its clogged up is by taking it off then use a air compressor and put some air through it don’t go crazy with the air pressure just a lil bit will do! If you get a good air flow it’s good but if it backs up or the container swells when adding air then it’s bad in that case you can go buy a new one for a couple hundred bucks and replace it or just do what I do and pressure wash the crap out of the inside of the canister until you get all the charcoal crap out then blow out all of the water and let dry then reinstall & you will never have a issue with it clogging again.

DoneThat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Remove the spring from the roll over valve. It is located in the top of the tank.
It is a very light spring and can be done without removing the tank.
See my post in another thread, (Fueling issues)

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
i have the same problem

MuleDawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Remove the spring from the roll over valve. It is located in the top of the tank.
It is a very light spring and can be done without removing the tank.
See my post in another thread, (Fueling issues)
What’s the link to your other thread? I’m having the same issue, I’ll got to pump fuel & click, pump again & click so I have to pump at an angle slowly until I’m not clicking… thanks in advance.

OP
OP
T

TheKid7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I took the truck to a local experienced mechanic. He checked over the fuel system. Finally he disconnected the top tank vent line at the tank and told me to drive it to a gas station an try to fill it to see if anything had changed. I tried filling the tank and nothing had changed. The problem is still there. He reconnected the vent line and told me to buy a replacement tank and he would then install it. I showed him the procedure to pull the rollover valve spring but he refused to do it.

I don't fully understand bumping the rollover valve using a 1/2" air hose with a 1/4" npt female connector on the end.

Does anyone have a sketch of what the fill line rollover valve looks like?

I looked at new fuel tanks but the safest thing to do would be to buy from the local dealer ($1,202) so it would be easy to return if defective. Online merchants have the tank for around $700 to $800 delivered but I found out that there is a significant risk of receiving the tank in damaged condition (broken rollover valve).

Thanks in Advance.

Keifus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Mine started doing it now 2018 1500 2wd but I found a trick while I was jamming the nozzle into the filler hole while giving it a piece of my mind lol You gotta push the nozzle down kinda like leaning on it while pushing it back towards the bed it works for some stupid reason but it’s way better than it clicking every 20cents lol

OP
OP
T

TheKid7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I spoke with another maintenance shop and they said that most vehicle manufacturers have something like an 8 year 80,000 mile emissions warranty.

The tank was replaced in August of 2019 (same issue) under the Bumper to Bumper Warranty. It is now past the 2 year/unlimited mileage warranty of the replacement tank.

Questions:

1. What is RAM's vehicle emissions warranty? Typical Summary?
2. Would this problem come under the emission's warranty and how would I approach the dealer about this issue?

Thanks in Advance.

OP
OP
T

TheKid7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
If the vehicle emissions warranty, above, does not work out...

Some Options:

1. Live with it with fuel up times of around 20 minutes.

2. Install a replacement tank at Dealer (~$1,600+).

3. Purchase a used tank and have it installed. NO used tanks available.

4. Purchase a new tank mail order and have it shipped to the mechanic. High risk of receiving tank in damaged condition.

5. Purchase a new tank direct from Chrysler and have it shipped to a Dealer in New Braunfels, Texas for pick up by me (~165 miles away). ~$300 to ~$400 savings over buying it from local dealer (Ignoring fuel cost/wear & tear to pick it up.). Allows for inspection for damage before pick up. Bring new tank and truck to mechanic to install. Installation fee ~$280.

OP
OP
T

TheKid7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I complained to RAM and was given a Case Number.

I took the truck to the Dealer for a diagnostics on the cause of the problem.

The Dealer said that the tank fill nozzle check valve was OK and that the problem was the carbon canister. They ordered a new carbon canister which may take a month or so to arrive due to parts shortages.

I still don't understand that when the fuel tank vent line was temporarily disconnected and I tried to fill the tank the problem was still there. Doesn't the tank vent line go directly to the carbon canister?

Thanks in Advance.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine started doing it now 2018 1500 2wd but I found a trick while I was jamming the nozzle into the filler hole while giving it a piece of my mind lol You gotta push the nozzle down kinda like leaning on it while pushing it back towards the bed it works for some stupid reason but it’s way better than it clicking every 20cents lol
Mine is picky as well. I have to make sure it's jammed in pretty good.