Can anyone recommend projector/LED headlights for a 5th gen that came with halogens?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NJ4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I already swapped the bulbs to LED's and the light output is good, but now want to change the look of the headlight itself. Any recommendations for a good projector / LED set without spending 2K? Thnx!

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Morimoto likely would be the best light output and are in that budget.

OP
OP
NJ4X4

NJ4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Morimoto likely would be the best light output and are in that budget.
Thanks. I've looked at a ton of different ones, but always trust real reviews from here. I've got Recon tails, but Morimoto's are some I looked at.

OP
OP
NJ4X4

NJ4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, I didn't realize the full LED Alpharex lights don't have a bulb that's replaceable. There's a two year warranty on them, but after that you're looking at replacing the entire headlight if there's a problem. Not sure I'm liking that too much.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I didn't realize the full LED Alpharex lights don't have a bulb that's replaceable.
This will be the case with any of the headlights with built in LED bulbs.
You could use the Pro versions and use a replaceable LED headlight bulb but people have chimes in about the Luxx series have better light output.

OP
OP
NJ4X4

NJ4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This will be the case with any of the headlights with built in LED bulbs.
You could use the Pro versions and use a replaceable LED headlight bulb but people have chimes in about the Luxx series have better light output.
Thanks. I was wondering about going with the Pro series and then adding LED's to them. Sounds like they wouldn't be DOT compliant. But, I'm sure the LED bulbs in my stock halogen housings aren't either.

OP
OP
NJ4X4

NJ4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Nick! Always good to see a familiar name that helped me with my 4th gen.

OP
OP
NJ4X4

NJ4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I like price tag, but they're not OEM headlights.
Yeah, meant to put OEM or Like this...

Also the front on the led versions is different.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NJ4X4

NJ4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

utley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Question - if you have halogens and you swap over to projector LEDs, are they plug and play or do you have to install a few other things like ballast first? Looking to replace mine as well, but this has been gnawing on me for a while.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
if you have halogens and you swap over to projector LEDs, are they plug and play or do you have to install a few other things like ballast first?
Ballasts are used with HID lighting, they're not used with LEDs.
Most manufacturers have the LEDs to Plug-n-Play status as they incorporate the circuitry to fool the truck's bulb out detection. Sometimes you have to add load resistors, those are available as Plug-n-Play also.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
My suggestion is to add "DRIVING LIGHTS" not "FOG LIGHTS" to the truck or for that matter to any vehicle. The difference being how the light beam is shaped and focused. If you are after a look that is one thing if you are after better vision that is another. Fog vs Driving: NEITHER is BETTER as they are different for a reason. decide what you want first. I think changing the headlamp assemblies is very expensive for what you get. And as I never look at myself or truck going down the road, I prefer to have my lighting light up that road. Again, aftermarket and O.E. assemblies look great but!

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
My suggestion is to add "DRIVING LIGHTS" not "FOG LIGHTS" to the truck or for that matter to any vehicle.
I'll disagree with this part of your statement, try a set of DiodeDynamics SS3 SAE Pro level fog lights. Much more useable for most driving situations vs a driving light that just extends long range viewability. The SAE Fogs stay low and curb to curb wide with enough light to drive with in most conditions.

They offer bolt in kits for both the Gen5 and Gen4 trucks.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
A "Driving" light, as a general rule are what is called a narrow beam, the ones I have are eight degrees - that's up/down right/left. "Fog" style as you have stated are a wide beam, usually 30 + degrees in those same four directions. These are the specs. given by the manufactures that I did for my research. So, I agree with you that they are wider, but that same beam is ALSO TALLER. What I like is the drive beam, Is I "can" SEE further, as a result of the beam angle they can also be brighter (or at least Whiter 4500k or greater) and they will NOT be in the oncoming driver's eyes. This may give you more time to react to what you see further down the road. and that "narrow" beam does not shine (read reflect) into the "fog" and back at you. Rally cars use both!! but no one is coming at them. And if you watch Rally car videos they are very seldom going straight anyway. But They do Focus WAY DOWN the road, so they can react. The further down the road that you are looking the more time you have to react. Just my opinion, based on my experience and preference. I am suggesting that before anyone buys anything, decide what they want to accomplish. Someplace on this sight, in one of the many AUX. lighting threads are even the part numbers for both (Drive & Fog) from the manufacture that I chose. And my set of Aux. lights, harness, switch, mounting brackets was less than half of changing the headlamp assemblies.

Last edited: